Saw Jake last night............HOLY WOW

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
We say Jake in concert last night, just north of Toronto. Mind blowing is all I can say, nobody has the right to make a ukulele sound like that, except Jake I guess. He was accompanied by a bass player for about one half of his songs and it was a very nice addition. They sounded great together and had fun playing off of each other. Corktown Uke Jam was a co-sponsor and they but on a Lobby Jam an hour before the concert, we had a blast with lots of people joining in and singing along, very well received.

As a perspective my wife and I brought our best friends along who are big time into the arts. She is a singer, they frequent the ballet, opera, clasical concerts, plays etc etc. They absolutely loved it, could not stop talking about it afterwards. He kept saying "I had no idea the ukulele could sound like that".

If you have the chance to see Jake do it, bring some non-ukulele friends along and watch their jaws drop, good fun.

Ah, amazing isn't it? Keep an eye out, Jake usually does the same places every year and his concerts are always a bit different from year to year.

I've seen him for the last 6 years in a row. :shaka:

I brought a serious cellist with me last year. Same reaction. (Sad to say not only has this friend heard ukulele before, he's played with me.)

Isn't it fun when people see him for the first time?

Did he do Dragon with the looper?

We say Jake in concert last night, just north of Toronto. Mind blowing is all I can say, nobody has the right to make a ukulele sound like that, except Jake I guess. He was accompanied by a bass player for about one half of his songs and it was a very nice addition. They sounded great together and had fun playing off of each other. Corktown Uke Jam was a co-sponsor and they but on a Lobby Jam an hour before the concert, we had a blast with lots of people joining in and singing along, very well received.

As a perspective my wife and I brought our best friends along who are big time into the arts. She is a singer, they frequent the ballet, opera, clasical concerts, plays etc etc. They absolutely loved it, could not stop talking about it afterwards. He kept saying "I had no idea the ukulele could sound like that".

If you have the chance to see Jake do it, bring some non-ukulele friends along and watch their jaws drop, good fun.

TWO HIGHLIGHTS of the evening : Got to see Jake and met 'DownUpDave' and his lovely wife. Ten of us sat in the media section because we are one of the media sponsors . My friend's husband warned us he may fall asleep but he was the one shouted the loudest 'faster faster faster' . He must have learned that from YouTube . People were lining up for autograph on their ukulele. Next year I will definitely bring one for signing.
He played standing up for nearly 2 hour with no break in between. I like to know how he kept the instrument glued to his chest with only the neck string. Great show and unbelieveable technique.
Thanks Dave for inviting us to the Jam session. We all had fun with or without a uku. Amazing crowd.

Isn't it fun when people see him for the first time?

Did he do Dragon with the looper?

Hey Sukie, he did Dragon with the looper. Another member "sam13" my uke buddie in crime was there last night and all he is talking about this morning is getting amps, effect pedals etc. after seeing Jake do that.

Brenda@ it was great to meet you and your husband as well. Now you know how much fun we have at the Corktown Uke Jam every week. It is worth the drive on Wednesday night, even in these freezing cold temperatures

Last edited:
Oh man, you guys and gals are sooooo lucky!!! It'd be super cool to see Jake live like you did! I think I've watched every one of his videos on YouTube but to be there in person, that would trump all!

Sounded like a great time from lobby to the concert and back! Thanks for sharing your joy!

Since its a Bristol , does it mean my 'driver' can sit and watch without participating?

Yes he can. Your "driver"(guessing that would be Ed your husband) can have a coffee, tea, drink, food item, it is a very nice new clean bright bistro. Cool thing is there have been people come in off the street for a bite or drink and end up grabbing a loaner uke and joining in.

Who is this "Jake" of whom you all speak so highly?

Yes he can. Your "driver"(guessing that would be Ed your husband) can have a coffee, tea, drink, food item, it is a very nice new clean bright bistro. Cool thing is there have been people come in off the street for a bite or drink and end up grabbing a loaner uke and joining in.

I just sent you the video of the jam session. Did you find yourself?
Not sure if I am allowed to post it here. It was such a fun night.

I seriously considered flying out from Alberta for one of his Ontario concerts as I have friends in the area.
How great for you folks to have seen him in person.
Thanks for posting - I love living vicariously through others :)

I seriously considered flying out from Alberta for one of his Ontario concerts as I have friends in the area.
How great for you folks to have seen him in person.
Thanks for posting - I love living vicariously through others :)

Jake performs in Edmonton too but look like he is not doing Western Canada this spring.
Here is his schedule tour. Perhaps Vegas is closer to you?
http://jakeshimabukuro.com/tour

Yes it is Brenda, it was my first Uke I bought from MusicGuyMike and it was the first signature

This is the Uke now signed by most of the Uke artists I follow and have taken workshops with.

image.jpg

Is that his signature on your Uku???

Last edited:
Yes it is Brenda, it was my first Uke I bought from MusicGuyMike and it was the first signature

This is the Uke now signed by most of the Uke artists I follow and have taken workshops with.
View attachment 76950

Wow what a great idea, I am very envious, that looks so awesome. This is wonderful.............gives me one more reason to buy another ukulele and a spruce top seems to be the perfect canvas for all those autographs. Hello UAS!!!!!!!

I've seen Jake several times and it's always a treat to hear a master musician. I've also met him several times and you could not meet a nicer guy. I've heard the same thing about James Hill also.
My wife is Honolulu born and raised and I've been to Hawaii 23-24 times. I've met several people who knew Jake before he became the celebrity he is today. Everyone has made it a point to tell me he has not changed at all, still the same guy. Nice to know that in this world of spoiled rotten celeb musicians that a true talent can also be a genuinely nice person. I've also met his brother Bruce and he's a really nice young man.
In my younger days I worked as a trumpeter and had a few chances to meet and play with some really well known jazz names. Nearly all were really nice people as well as masters of their craft. One or two were pains, but that's life.
I'm glad you enjoyed Jake's show. A truly special musician and artist.

Top Bottom