Luthiers in Texas

According to an Internet search via Siri "there are 650 luthiers in Texas" :) it must be down to all those guitar playing Cowboys ive seen on the movies.

Last edited:
I'm in the Dallas area. However, while I have been collecting material, building jigs, and preparing workshop space in my garage, I have yet to begin an actual build. :D

Well, I'm a budding luthier. I've built about 6 conventional ukes and countlless cigar box ukes and guitars. What specificaly are you looking for? I'm in Katy, TX (just west of Houston) and sell my instruments in Navasota (Blues Capital of Texas.)

David Newton would be my pick. I have 2 of his ukes, a soprano mahogany Diaz style which i bought from a UU member and a tenor Diaz style which I got in a trade from a UU member and I think they are superb! I wanted him to build me Cuban mahogany concert Diaz or dread type but he is no longer accepting commissions for builds, but apparently he is going to start building non specs and I am not sure if he means just guitars- but if I was into guitars, he would deffinately be my choice!

I'm 1/2 way between Austin & Waco but I have yet to build a ukulele. But I have built multiple mountain-stick-bowed dulcimers, an open back banjo, an electric acoustic slide guitar, and a psalmodikon. I started building instruments in Sept 2014.... I'm told I'm prolific... LOL!!! I moved to being a luthier from wood carver due to arthritis in my hands... And found I am pretty good at it. At least that’s what I am told. My current projects are two A type mandolins and I’m completing a bowed dulcimer. I came here to begin thinking about the down the road project.... An electric baritone ukulele.... If I may be of assistance, I believe I’ll be around for a while.

Doc FMF

Collings is in Austin, makes some concert and tenors which look pretty nice...

Never mind, I didn't notice the post saying the exact same thing

I keep clicking on Dave Newton's webpage hoping to see a Diaz spec uke, but nope......
R

Top Bottom