Season 160 of the Ukulele - Make it Happen and Just Noodlin

Thank you Paul. I'm going to send myself a reminder of what fonts to use!
The code tags automatically put anything inside them into a monospaced type; so use Courier or Consolas or Andale Mono or any monospaced typeface when you're formatting your text before copying & pasting your text in between the code tags (I've taken the liberty above - if you 'quote' this post, you should be able to just to copy and paste these formatted lyrics into your OP).

Oh - and great song, if I may say so. (Why thank you :))

It was gray this morning when I got up but it was warm. I've been frozen in for a week or so. Had to use the all wheel to get out of the drive; supposing I could get off the porch across the ice to the car at all. So I've been doing a lot of noodling. Its more fun to noodle with other folks but playing uke is fun all the time. Here's something from Column A:

Gotta share this, my all time uke hero and noodler extraordinaire 'Corey Fujimoto', I've never seen him play something exactly the same way twice and whatever he plays is pure gold.
Grab yourself a cup of Inspiration and listen to him demo this uke .............

Last edited:
Better make this my last one else I'll get myself barred from here !! lol
A short couple of lines I was playing around with this morning (original)

Last edited:
Another duet from the far reaches of the planet, this time "Jamaica Farewell" by Harry Belafonte. We threw this together in ten minutes, so I think it counts as noodling.

Seasons of the Ukulele 160.2 - Just Noodlin

some early AM noodling...wait, that doesn't sound right :stop:

At some point in time you just have nothing left to say - you can no longer find the right words. I hope that one day I can play as well as you noodle! Thanks for sharing that and not the early morning noodling!

Untitled original

That's a great tune. I like the lyrics and a great feel to the melody. Looking forward to listening to this one some more. It will be interesting to see if people offer up possible names and what those names will be.

Just noodlin'.

1 of 4

After listening to that, I am definitely sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the other 3. I really enjoyed that. Great bluesy feel and sound. Seems like the perfect home for some orphaned words. Thanks for sharing that.

It was gray this morning when I got up but it was warm. I've been frozen in for a week or so. Had to use the all wheel to get out of the drive; supposing I could get off the porch across the ice to the car at all. So I've been doing a lot of noodling. Its more fun to noodle with other folks but playing uke is fun all the time. Here's something from Column A:

I would definitely call that noodling. I don't know if you planned it that way or just played what came to mind but as it worked out one thing seemed to flow right into the other. You are right, that would be great time to sit down and jam stuff like that with others. Glad things are warming up for you and thanks for sharing.

I'm too old for this sh*t, apparently. Not really, but here's a song about that. Tongue firmly in cheek though 'cause I fully intend to never be too old for rock 'n roll. Yeah Baby!

Really enjoyed that song Andrew. Great lyrics and really like the way you play it. Great things were coming from you dancing up and down the fret board. As I said to someone else - hope some day to play as well as you noodle. THANKS!!!

Better make this my last one else I'll get myself barred from here !! lol
A short couple of lines I was playing around with this morning (original)

When you noodle around like this and come up with these lines, do they ever end up getting put together into a song or do they just exist as little bits of ear candy? Really enjoyed your stuff yesterday.

Another duet from the far reaches of the planet, this time "Jamaica Farewell" by Harry Belafonte. We threw this together in ten minutes, so I think it counts as noodling.

Noodling is what you define it. Catchy little ditty there. I haven't heard that song for a long long time and you guys threw together a great noodle. Thanks for sharing that. Hope you can come back for seconds or thirds.

Last edited:
You win the noodle of the day award. I loved this. I was singing along with you and chuckling the whole way. you were having fun with it and I was definitely having fun with it. spot on example of noodling. Great job and thanks for playing!!!! Please please please come back for more!!!!!

Thanks Big Daddy! You're a great host and this is turning out to be one fun season!

I've been having a lot of difficulty this last week loading videos about 6 fails. This was supposed to come up yesterday!

Well. I am certainly glad that you were finally able to get this uploaded. Its amazing what one can learn from the seasons. An incredible song with an incredible history. I knew nothing about this textile strike in Massachusetts. I couldn't figure out the link between Bread and Roses. Went and did a little research to learn about both. From what I read, the link between Bread and Roses was appealing for both fair wages and dignified conditions. Thanks for bringing this song, I really enjoyed it.

When you noodle around like this and come up with these lines, do they ever end up getting put together into a song or do they just exist as little bits of ear candy?
I've got the attention span of a gnat and never finish anything..........an example .....I'll get a couple of lines going like this, have a breather while I take a look at some great players on YT........stumble onto something else and think wow thats great I'm gonna try that.........get distracted totally and never get back to what I was originally doing ............I'm the original flea......I jump around way too much and have zero discipline to ever get to the standard I want to be at.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with a couple new tunings, so, these days, when I pick up and instrument and mess around on it for a few minutes, it's been directed toward learning new mandolin-family chord shapes. I've been playing a bunch of Magnetic Fields songs. They're fun, and many are just 3 or 4 chords, so they're good for learning with. This is one of them that I've been playing a lot.

These are Southcoast 5th tuning strings on a short-scale (19") baritone uke, providing a mid-reentrant octave mandolin tuning. Soo . . . that's like a mandolin (G3-D4-A4-E5) but an octave down (G2-D3-A3-E4) but with the bottom two strings high re-entrant (G3-D4-A3-E4). Or, in other words, the bottom two strings like those of a mandolin, but the top two like those of an octave mandolin. That puts the 2nd string a whole note above the 4th string, and the 1st string a whole note above the 3rd, with fifth intervals between 4 and 3 and 2 and 1. What do I call this now? An octave ukulin?

Here's another Magnetic Fields song with the other instrument in a new, mandolin-family tuning.

These are Southcoast 5th tuning strings on a tenor uke, providing a high re-entrant mandola tuning in D. Soo . . . that's D4-A3-E4-B4—like the mandola's (or viola's) C-G-D-A, except up one whole step, and with the 4th string up an octave. What do I call this now? An ukudola?

So I filmed myself just noodling (damn that sounds dirty) and came across this cool chord progression. But I think it sounds like a song that already exists. If you know what song this is, lemme know. Otherwise I will make it into a proper song.

Over the weekend I decided to hit my local music store to see if they had any new ukes in to mess around with and lust after. They did. Played quite a few including a really nice Soprano (300 quid though...), a Gretsch guitalele (didn't really get on with it) a Gretsch 'camping uke' which was kinda cool but the thing that caught both mine and Louise's attention was the pair of Nukulele beer bottle ukes.

nukulele-beer-bottle-soprano-ukulele-autumn-gold-1009-p.jpg

Cheap and cheerful laminate with the design printed on but they looked awesome and were fun to play. Wasn't in a position to buy it then but I will sometime soon I think.

Anyway, this is a song I wrote about the experience. Words thought up yesterday, chords based on my noodlings in the store.

Lyrics and chords on Youtube.

EDIT: Thanks to Librainian too.... A comment within minutes of uploading and before I was anywhere near posting it here!

Going to noodle something in as soon as I figure out what my nephew did with my tuner, toddlers...

I likes to do you for the Missus JooJoo & cat song which will be goings to the pinnacles
of the Kazakhstan charts toppers this instants. This songs is noodled, according to
peoples partys directives. Thank you very many.

Last edited:
Got two uploading. One's done, so I'll put it up before I go and fetch my daughter from her night class

Noodling on English traditional tune, Portsmouth (first published, 1651) to work out an accompaniment with the uke.

Usually played in G but I've done it in D here otherwise I wouldn't guarantee to hit the top notes.

Okay, this is horrible. Ive still not found my tuner, but here is a very popular ukulele tune. Been noodlin' with it a lot, trying to learn it before I get my banjolele fixed...

Okay, this is horrible. Ive still not found my tuner, but here is a very popular ukulele tune. Been noodlin' with it a lot, trying to learn it before I get my banjolele fixed...

If you have a smartphone, you should be able to download a tuner app that can get you by until you find your real tuner.

Top Bottom