Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buzzing on String Instruments: Causes and Cures

great job man. thanks!

i have a continuous buzz on my C string frets 1-4, on my E string frets 1-4, and the rest of the strings buzz from 1-4 but radomly. I got my ukue re-setup and frets have been evened out, but it still buzzes.

what is the height of strings above the 12th fret to botoom of g string and also if you loosen the strings and add a toothpick under the saddle and the buzzes go away your action may be too low....

Quote Originally Posted by gotrice415510 View Post
    i have a continuous buzz on my C string frets 1-4, on my E string frets 1-4, and the rest of the strings buzz from 1-4 but radomly. I got my ukue re-setup and frets have been evened out, but it still buzzes.
    If its random, I'm gonna bet that its not the uke-- make sure that you're playing as cleanly as possible, firmly holding the strings down between the frets and not on top of them.

I hope this helps.
    --Nut

My A string buzzes on the 7th fret and the 7th fret only. Would that be the nut or saddle or what? It's really annoying.

If you mean it buzzes when you fret it at the 7th, then it's unlikely to be the nut. If it is ONLY when you fret at the 7th then the first thing I'd check would be to see if the 8th fret is a tiny, tiny bit raised at the treble side.

Also, the 7th fret could be just a tiny bit lower than the others.

A straight-edge or steel rule laid along the fretboard will often show up any frets that stand high as it will rock on them. Low frets can be harder to spot without experience.

Oh, and also check for kinks in the string around there.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

thanks a lot for that,i've got the opportunity to buy a pono tenor for a fraction of the price cos it has buzzing issues (i wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise).i've been humming and haaing about it but now i feel a bit more confident its worth the gamble, i know its not the strings cos they have been replaced, but i believe that pono tenors have a truss rod which may have been overlooked,(the part you wrote about truss rods got my attention) so i think i may go for it(even if i can't fix it i wont have lost that much and i'll have a spare set of grover tuners).
    thanks much kudos

Hello, My symptoms aren't quite described in your list. But I am hoping you can help.

I have a very resonant uke. I have been noticing intermittent buzzing and now that I have changed to worth clears (which makes the uke sound really great) the buzzing is even more pronounced. Dinking around I have found that if I partially fret something on my G string and it is a note I am playing on my A string, I get a buzzing that sounds like it comes from the bridge area. I don't have to strum the G string at all. I can just pick the A string and the buzz will occur either open (if A note on g is partially fretted) or any note on A fretted with a corresponding unison note on G string partially fretted but not strummed.

Further, I am finding that this happens when any unison note on another string is partially fretted even though that string is not played (i.e., there is a buzz when playing the A string that will vanish if I take my finger off that other string).

Have you any explanation or cure?

Thanks.

Does amount of pressure applied count as an issue? I get a buzz on my C string second fret, but its not all the time. What i do notice is that it doesnt buzz when i just put enough pressure to put it down, but it does if i put too much.
    So hidden you need a cheat code

Hey guys, come see me on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/UnlockableCharacter

Hidden Character: See buddhuu's post just above. Since you're getting a buzz on the second fret, you might check the third fret to see if it's a bit loose, or if it's sitting higher than the second fret. I just had a similar issue on my vintage uke and discovered several loose, springy frets which I'm having a shop glue down. When you're playing the C string on the second fret, it's possible that the extra pressure is bringing the string down juuust low enough to graze that third fret. You shouldn't have to worry about applying too much pressure when you're fretting notes. On my uke, I also noticed that the buzz was more noticeable when I strummed harder, which makes sense: the greater vibration was causing the string to come in contact with the next fret up the neck. Good luck!

Thread Information