Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is a good first uke

Default what is a good first uke

what is a good first uke and what where can i get the ovation applause pick-ups

How about a few more details,how serious are you about uke?, what is your price range?,what size ukulele do you want?

You can buy a new Applause soprano, with or without a pick-up. They start around $125.

I wouldn't go any lower than Kala or Ohana bottom of the line models.
    Something much more important is a good Set Up. Nothing is more discouraging to a beginner than poor playability of the instrument.
    You've probably already have read all the praise MGM gets here for the set up of his instruments. I've gotten ukes of different price levels from him, and they are all very playable. Conversely, I've played on others' high end ukes and found some surprisingly unplayable: buzzing frets, high action, and etc.

Start with a good quality instrument. You don't want to get discouraged. Then size, wood pref. Lam. and or solid and looks.( Thats how my wife chose me)Price is kinda important along with a dealer who cares(me). I just started selling Mainland Ukes and would say they rock. Great value for a solid wood uke that looks and sounds great. It will come down to personal pref. as there are plenty of wonderful ukes out there.Start with 1 and get the other 1000 as you improve. Enjoy the quest!

"It's not on a map, it's right on your lap" ~ Sailor Jim

UkeRepublic.com
    FaceBook Fan Page
    YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kieranttt View Post
    what is a good first uke and what where can i get the ovation applause pick-ups
    Hey I started with a Lanikai LU-21 concert uke and really liked it. I then went for the Lanikai CK-C which was a bit more expensive and really liked that too.

As long as you stick with well known brands like Kala etc and avoid those awful bright coloured tourist type ukes that are more toys than instruments and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance-Man View Post
    You can buy a new Applause soprano, with or without a pick-up. They start around $125.
    According to a recent thread over on the ezFolk forums, the Applause QC has jumped the shark. Might want to stick to Paul December's recommendation of Kala or Ohana.*

I'd add in Mainland.*

*(full disclosure -- both these companies have sponsored me. But I recommended them before that.)
    Howlin' Hobbit -- Ukulele Ace
    Howlin' on Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

I'm still looking for a good 441st uke.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Hobbit View Post
    According to a recent thread over on the ezFolk forums, the Applause QC has jumped the shark. Might want to stick to Paul December's recommendation of Kala or Ohana.*

I'd add in Mainland.*

*(full disclosure -- both these companies have sponsored me. But I recommended them before that.)
    I have a Mahogany Mainland Uke, and it has the most beautiful tone.
    Very pretty too.

My advice and its worth what your payin me for it would be go with the Kala KA-whatever size you want line, yes it's a laminate wood Uke but they sound nice and if your just starting out its not the Uke that will sound bad!!!!

Plus with having a laminate wood Uke when you get that next Uke (a solid) you now have a Uke you can take in the car/backpack with out stressin about the heat/humidity levels or letting your friends play with.

Good luck on that search Deach and let us know what you find!!!!!!
    Ukulele, the most fun I've had being bad at something!!!

Thread Information