Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Still not satisfied after 5 years

If anyone on this forum builds consistently perfect ukuleles it has to be Allen and his shop out of Queensland, Australia. Look pretty damn perfect to me...

I built the perfect uke once. An EI rosewood and spruce tenor. Not a mistake made. Never gave me any problems. Came out beautiful and sounded like a cannon. I thought, "I've got it now!". Next uke fraught me like a tiger and it was back to the usual grind. You do learn to recover from mistakes and hide flaws over time which I actually find enjoyable. Advice: Make sure your neck block is perfect. A lot of things flow out of that little piece of wood and imperfections down the line (ex. binding) caused by an imperfect neck block will keep you chasing mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    I don’t make mistakes.
    I make opportunities for growth!
    Chuck, love this!
    Our students got to pick a motto for our kid's ukulele summer camps. They called it Perfect Enough. It's on our shirts.
    I love compliments too, when we pull off a song that's perfect enough, it makes my day.
    I assure you, Ken, if I ever buy a soprano ukulele, it's gonna be a Timms. From all I've heard, yours are perfect enough.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I used to do a lot of quilting and was told Amish women always sew a small flaw into every quilt so it wouldn’t be perfect because only God is perfect. Not sure if this is true of every Amish community but you can see a triangle sewn in upside down on some of the old quilts.

I think it is possible to be "pleased" or "satisfied" with your work, while knowing it is not absolutely perfect. It's easy to fall into these traps in our own minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Does anyone know how to build one that you are 100% pleased with ?..from start to finish.
    Ken, I have one soprano made by you. I have tryed to find mistakes or something that could be done better, but I havent found anything. You make perfect ukes or you are master of hiding mistakes.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti

The truth is, when all is said and done, anything man made will never be perfect, that is a fact. The satisfaction comes from knowing that you have tried to do the best you could.

Yep, Sawdust - I'll drink to that.

John Colter

When I was a fabrication inspector in the construction business I remember checking out an 8' x 5'x 1" thick steel plate straight from the Rolling mill...It looked horrible thickness varied all over it.. it had ripples in it from the rolling and it was dished about 3" in the middle...So I got on the phone to British Steel at Redcar and complained about it...A couple of hours later along came a British Steel Inspector to have a look at it..He got out a set of specifications from his brief case and together we measured up all the defects and compared them with the spec sheet and to my surprise every defect was just within tolerance...British Steel said they would send us another just to keep us happy..but it just goes to show how a thing can look bad but it is still ok to use ..So I guess i'll just have to be contented if my work is within tolerance (Whatever that is )
    Last edited by Timbuck; 03-06-2020 at 04:49 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Thread Information