Still not satisfied after 5 years

Timbuck

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to build one that you are 100% pleased with ?..from start to finish. :confused:

Well, there have been a few that I was ALMOST pleased with :D almost

I'm only 100% pleased after the uke has been gone for some time and then comes back. Some time and space makes them much better!! I forget about all the things that weren't perfect.

Ken,
it may be imperfect to your eyes, but to most people, me included, a Timms uke is as perfect as can be.
I cannot find any fault whatsover with mine!
H

After 20 plus years of tattooing I can say every tattoo Ive done the client has been happy with. If I had to be satisfied all the time I would have quit a very long time ago. I myself had to learn to tone down my level of perfectionism.

Of course years ago I had another artist ask where a picture of a recent tiger head was I had just done. I told him I hated it, that it was a terrible tattoo. His reply was he thought it was one of the best I had done.

Ive learned as long as they smile Ive done my job well!

life-is-good.jpg

I don't suppose you get a second chance with ink do you? Tattooists and high wire artists must be the most confident people on the planet!

I think you guys suffer from the same uncertainties as all artists do. I feel the same way about my photography. I am never happy no matter how many complements I received or dollars I've earned.

Never yet made anything to that standard... Close sometimes, but there is always something that could have been better.

My customers are almost always happier than I am with my instruments. I'll never be 100% happy with my work. Without mistakes there would be no success.

Speaking as an artist who has never been satisfied with my work, despite the compliments I get, and as an apprentice instrument builder, who realizes that perfection is a long, long way off, I was amazed at how my first customers loved my work! If we are not critical of our handiwork, would never strive to improve and that's what keeps us going.

Bob

I don't think I would even recognize perfection if it was right in front of me. To me it's about the music and whether I can get the instrument to sound the way I (or another player) want it to. Of course looks also mean a lot too, I see that, though I doubt I ever get far above "good enough" in that department.

But isn't there a difference between total satisfaction and just being "happy" with what you've created and appreciating its merits?

I feel the same, as a commercial photographer, from my last advertise photo shoot done last week I still not felt 100% satisfied, but which my clients felt ok.

I think this is a never-end chasing game.

Last edited:
Ha ha, let's hijack all we want - wouldn't want him to be satisfied with even a thread now that he has shown some weakness.

I look forward to seeing your builds.

(And of course I mean only the amount of disrespect I know Ken can take, I'll buy him a beer at Hollesley and then we'll gang up on some third party bystander.)

Cat fight! Cat fight! ...

But seriously, I think this thread has brought up some good food for thought and we should let it evolve. Surely others have something to say about the dichotomy of skill level and expectation/satisfaction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom