Should I keep spare strings?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm new to ukuleles, and I have a question about strings.

How long do nylon uke strings last, both when installed on a uke, and when new in the package?

I'm wondering about whether or not I should pre-purchase my next set of strings, and have them on hand as spares. Do they break frequently when in use? Do new strings have a set shelf life while still in the package?

I can just see myself breaking one of my concert uke's Aquila strings and not being able to find replacements for days....:eek:

How long do nylon uke strings last, both when installed on a uke, and when new in the package?

I'm wondering about whether or not I should pre-purchase my next set of strings, and have them on hand as spares. Do they break frequently when in use? Do new strings have a set shelf life while still in the package?

I can just see myself breaking one of my concert uke's Aquila strings and not being able to find replacements for days....:eek:

String life depends how much you play and how you play. Strings in a package should last a while unless you have them baking in the sun all day. and try not to listen to RussBuss. Anyone with over 2000 posts clearly has nothing good to say and posts out of boredom.

Thanks for the input, guys. A spare uke would be wonderful....but it's not in the budget at the moment. I just got this one!

I guess I'll plan on buying a spare set of strings for the time being. I'd prefer to have them on hand rather than have to wait for a day off just to get downtown to get some....

Do you guys keep spares?

Do you guys keep spares?

The first thing I do when I get a new uke is change the strings, so I usually have the original strings as spares, but yes, I have a drawer full of all different types of strings.

Do you guys keep spares?

Yup. I keep a spare set in each of my uke cases. I also have a whack of CE&A strings b/c I played around with high and low g options for awhile and kept changing the g string.

Mind you, I needed to keep spare strings b/c stores don't stock anything than D'Addario (not Pro Arte) - I use Aquilas and Worths - and no one has heard of low G tuning.

I keep loads of spare strings, and loads of spare ukes. Doesn't everybody?

Seriously though, I find uke strings last me at least 18 months. I've never had one break. Unused strings keep well, so no reason not to keep a set handy.

You DO need more than one uke, 'cause when you change strings, it can take days for them to settle in and start to hold tune - that's my excuse, anyway.

John Colter (The old Fogy formerly known as Ukantor)

Perfect excuse to get a Backup Uke to play while you wait for replacement strings to arrive.
That's just silly...you don't get replacement strings, you get a replacement uke.

Top Bottom