NUD - Amahi C-220 Concert Ukulele

SteveZ

Reaction score
Amahi C-220 Mahogany Concert Ukulele.

Not having a concert ukulele for a while, thought I'd add one to the stable. Had heard a few good things about Amahi (and Snail), so I thought it was worth a try. Am quite pleased with this new addition. The photo below is Amahi's the C-220 which was delivered today.

The C-220 arrived by UPS today, coming from Amahi's "factory store" in Cincinnati, Ohio (antonioviolin.com). Ordered it online on a weekend night, chatted with very friendly customer service folk during the week who verbally (as well as email) gave me the UPS tracking number. The price was almost too low to print.

As far as the instrument is concerned, here's a quick review based on four hours of ownership and two hours of play:

Strings - It comes with high-G Aquilas. I like my stringed instruments on the bassy side, so replaced the GC with a spare (slightly used) low-C and low-G I has in my parts bag, detuned the E to D, left the A as-is, resulting in CGDA tuning.

Form, Fit and Function - According to my chromo-tuner, the intonation is okay. Could not find any physical problem at all - very clean! It's solid, no appearance errors and just feels good overall. The neck is comfortable and smooth. Whoever set it up did a decent job, so my rounded-edged files remained in the parts/tool bag unused.

Sound - I'm pleased! I like a bassier sound than most folk who play ukulele, and the C-220 responded very well. Below is a sound sample I just did (should not have used a thin pick, so disregard the pick clicks).

https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/amahi-c-220-shower-the-people

Bottom Line - No "buyer's remorse" at all. The total buying experience and the product itself has made me glad I gave Amahi a shot - and will do it again. The ukulele is definitely better than others I have had at far greater prices. If this C-220 is representative of the Amahi line, the company has made me a convert.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Nice one Steve, looks and sounds great. I like the tuning you've chosen and also the way you play it, very cool.

Thank you, kind Sir.

Anytime one can find an instrument (ukulele, gig bag and in-USA shipping) for a grand total of US$89, you just have to give it a try. Am going to have to try one of the others in that brand. Next plan is to add a tuner/preamp/pickup to this one sometime in the next few weeks.

Steve,

I agree the Amahi's are hard to beat, for the money. I own two, my new baby, a B220 Baritone and a soprano. I still can't believe how nice the Bari is!

If this C-220 is representative of the Amahi line, the company has made me a convert.

Me too!

Just ordered 10 Amahi sopranos from our local music store for our school uke group. I was mighty impressed with what we got for the money.

Just bought the same Amahi C220 concert ukulele yesterday at Motorcity Guitars in Waterford, Michigan, and I am enthusiastic. Not only it sounds great and it is impeccably made, it has a perfect set up, with correct strings action and perfectly cut nut slots. More over, it comes with its own (very nice and well padded) gig bag. I don't mention the price but when I looked at the price tag I couldn't believe it, in my very personal opinion this concert uke sounded warmer, fuller than any other ukulele in the same price range that was in the store, and better than several that costed twice as much. Definitely a brand to follow.

Top Bottom