NUD Blackbird Clara - review and photos

deschutestrout

Reaction score
Well, a couple of days ago I received a new, special uke! A Blackbird Clara. I'd read so many favorable reviews, and when I saw one come up used in the UU Marketplace, my UAS got the best of me and I pulled the trigger. This is hands-down the most I've spent on a uke ... and I have no regrets.

I spend a LOT of time outdoors. Camping, river trips (I'm an outfitter on the Deschutes River in Oregon), we get very hot days in the summer (90-110F) and I'm often camping when it is cold (often below freezing, sometimes 15-30F at night). We're in the desert part of Oregon, so it is often very dry. I was looking for a good sounding, sturdy instrument that would withstand temperature extremes and lack of humidity. The Clara seemed to fit the bill.

Build / Finish - this uke is made entirely of man-made products (called Ekoa), i.e., no wood on this uke. I hadn't seen one of these first-hand, so really had no idea what to expect, except what I'd seen in photos. When I excitedly pulled Clara from the case, the top (at certain light angles) "appeared" to have a lot of long scratches. Held her sideways to get a better look, ran my hand over the top ... hmmm, these are not scratches. Called Joe at Blackbird (SUPER nice, informative guy) and he explained that the top is made of various woven fibers, and that as different color fibers get added to the mix, sometimes they appear as long strands, going either up or down (they're woven) on the body. Looked at a bunch of images on line, and found many examples that looked like what I was seeing on the top. And of course, I more carefully studied the top of mine. Once I understood more of how the top is constructed, and knew that these were NOT scratches, but part of the fibers, the appearance has started to grow on me. But, new buyers be aware that the initial look my have you scratching your head for a moment...it did me.

The back has a different, woven appearance, I like it!

She has a very comfortable neck, and I was unable to find info on what the fretboard is made of, but I love how it looks, and more importantly how it plays! Neck joins body at the 12th fret ... I wish it joined at the 14th, but I can live with that.

I spoke with Joe about temps and moisture. He said 0 - 120F temps are absolutely no problem. On very hot days, be careful leaving it in a car uncased, especially if temps in the car will exceed 150. Avoid laying it out in direct sunlight for extended periods, and avoid letting (especially the back of) the uke get soaked with water/rain. Pretty common sense stuff.
Sound, Playability, etc. This is where the Clara really shines. The volume, tone and sustain of this uke are impressive. She truly sings! I was impressed right out of the gate. Compared the volume to what was previously my loudest uke (a Kala with spruce top...that is loud) and yes, the Clara is significantly louder.

She has an unusually shaped soundport on the top, and the neck is hollow, with a soundport on the headstock...cool! It's kind of neat to hold the headstock close to your ear and hear sound coming from it! This adds to the volume and tone quality.

The tone is very pleasing, and one would think the uke is made of wood. I'm anxious to try various strings to dial in to what I believe is the best tone.

I absolutely love the fretboard! I tend to play a lot of lead, and the Clara does this better than any uke I've played. The fretboard is smooth, and "fast". Slides, hammers and bends are smooth as silk, and compare to a top quality ebony fretboard ... but feels even smoother.

The set up is awesome, I'm assuming this is done at the factory. Very comfortable action (just under 6/64" at the 12th fret).

Sounds great finger picking and strumming, both gently and robustly. She responds beautifully to variations. Sweet player!

Strings - She had Martin 600's on when I received her. I really liked how these played and sounded. But, I also enjoy experimenting with string. Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see how the sound would change and possibly improve with different strings.

Before changing, I threw a low G on ... she sounded awesome, but I was reminded quickly of how much I prefer the sound of re-entrant tuning. But, you low-G folks are gonna love her!

I put Oasis Bright High G's on, and quickly removed ... she'd lost fullness, and the tone was rather flat compared to the Martins (I know...the strings didn't have time to settle, but the negative change (to my ear) was drastic enough, that I pulled them. I then put Worth Brown mediums on and love them! The full, rich sound returned and I'll run these for a while. It's difficult to tell if the Worths sound better than the Martins, as they both sound incredible. It will be some time before I try a different string, as I am very pleased with how she sounds with the Worth BM.

So, overall I'm very pleased with the Clara, and rather blown-away by her tone and playability.

Here are some photos.

clara2.jpgclara1.jpgclara3.jpgclara4.jpgclara7.jpg

I put Oasis Bright High G's on, and quickly removed ... she'd lost fullness, and the tone was rather flat compared to the Martins (I know...the strings didn't have time to settle, but the negative change (to my ear) was drastic enough, that I pulled them.

Interesting that you say that, I've had a similar experience trying Oasis Brights on my pineapple and Ohta-San ukes and have found it dulls the sound somewhat as compared to Martins. And I actually did give them time to settle - and for me it only got worse.

Enjoy that Clara! I've encountered a few and every single one sounds and plays great.

and avoid letting (especially the back of) the uke get soaked with water/rain

Can you explain why the back of the uke will be affected by water? I'm curious as i thought the mad made material should be impervious.

Thanks... Bill

Can you explain why the back of the uke will be affected by water? I'm curious as i thought the mad made material should be impervious.

Thanks... Bill

Joe at Blackbird can. I believe he said it is how the weave on the back is made ... differs from the top. I'm sure a bit of rain won't hurt and can be wiped off (at least I'm not going to worry about it), I just won't leave it leaning against a tree during a down pour. I wouldn't subject my wooden ukes to it, and I'll treat the Clara the same way.

I believe the Carbon Fiber tenor is more "water proof" than the Clara, which is completely different materials/construction. He said the Clara is bullet proof when it comes to high humidity or a complete lack of humidity.

Last edited:
She has a very comfortable neck, and I was unable to find info on what the fretboard is made of, but I love how it looks, and more importantly how it plays! Neck joins body at the 12th fret ... I wish it joined at the 14th, but I can live with that.

The fretboard is Richlite. Richlite is actually a propriatary brand name for a type of micarta. Generally speaking micarta is layers of either linen cloth or paper laminated with some type of resin. The result is a very strong material that has been used for nuts and saddles for years. Martin used to use micarta on the 16 series and lower but recently switched suppliers and now advertise Richlite as being a sustainable environmentally friendly alternative to ebony. I'm sure many of us are aware by now of the problems connected with ebony and finding acceptable substitutes is a good thing. The Richlite uses layers of paper laminated with phenolic resin.

The fretboard is Richlite. Richlite is actually a propriatary brand name for a type of micarta. Generally speaking micarta is layers of either linen cloth or paper laminated with some type of resin. The result is a very strong material that has been used for nuts and saddles for years. Martin used to use micarta on the 16 series and lower but recently switched suppliers and now advertise Richlite as being a sustainable environmentally friendly alternative to ebony. I'm sure many of us are aware by now of the problems connected with ebony and finding acceptable substitutes is a good thing. The Richlite uses layers of paper laminated with phenolic resin.

Thank you for that! I knew the bridge was, specs don't say anything about the fretboard ... at least not that I could find. Saddle and nut are apparently Graphtech.

Congratulations to you, on finding a very fine instrument.

Thanks for your string comments. Looking forward to Worth Browns at my next string change. Re-entrant for me. I fool around with linear tuning but always go back to re-entrant.

I absolutely love the fretboard! I tend to play a lot of lead, and the Clara does this better than any uke I've played. The fretboard is smooth, and "fast". Slides, hammers and bends are smooth as silk, and compare to a top quality ebony fretboard ... but feels even smoother.

Thank you for the review and the photos. I especially like what you have to say about the tone and the feel of the fingerboard. Love it!

Thank you for the review and photos. This would be good for Arizona. Must resist UAS... :)

I'm the same way with mine...Sweet! I do however, like mine more as a finger-picker than a strummer. I'm very impressed by the light touch at low volume, however the Clara also seems to have unlimited headroom. I can't push mine too far.

These are special folks!

Wm.

Last edited:
I'm the same way with mine...Sweet! I do however, like mine more as a finger-picker than a strummer. I'm very impressed by the light touch at low volume, however the Clara seems to have unlimited headroom. I can't push mine too far.

These are special folks!

Wm.

Special, indeed. And in an awesome sort of way. Every time I play her, she thanks me. My son played her for the first time tonight and said "holy crap" ... pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
I have had my Clara for 3 weeks and love it. I wonder if Joe will ever make a tenor-sized uke out of eKoa?

I have had my Clara for 3 weeks and love it. I wonder if Joe will ever make a tenor-sized uke out of eKoa?

The way Clara is built you can't just slap a longer neck on it. The back, neck and headstock are all one molded piece of ekoa. A tenor scale Clara would require a whole new mold, layup schedule, prototyping series, and whatever else. It took Blackbird almost 2 years to bring the El Capitan ekoa guitar to market after introducing Clara. I think a tenor is a long way off for what would be a niche instrument in an already crowded niche of fine, high end tenor ukuleles.

The way Clara is built you can't just slap a longer neck on it. The back, neck and headstock are all one molded piece of ekoa. A tenor scale Clara would require a whole new mold, layup schedule, prototyping series, and whatever else. It took Blackbird almost 2 years to bring the El Capitan ekoa guitar to market after introducing Clara. I think a tenor is a long way off for what would be a niche instrument in an already crowded niche of fine, high end tenor ukuleles.

Yup, I do believe a tenor Clara is some way off.

I asked Joe this past week if I tenor Clara was in the works, and he said that the current tenor model sells very well so he's in no hurry to make changes to the lineup.

Great write up on the Clara. I am seriously considering one now.

I read the Tenor comes with a radius neck if desired. Does anyone know if the Clara comes with a radius as an option?

Top Bottom