Kamaka Gold Label Soprano review, with a few string changes to keep it interesting.

pbagley

Reaction score
Greeting all. Here is my first review. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

I bought a Kamaka Gold Label Soprano ukulele on e-Bay. Big Risk. Generally I don't take many risks, but for some reason I was drawn to this little uke listing. Red flags all over the place. Seller has 0 feedback. I asked a question about an hour before the end of the auction and there was no answer. The listing mentioned a closed crack on the back but there was no photo of the back. Red flags...

But still I was drawn to this little uke. Price is low, and maybe I was drawn by a chance at getting a bargain price. I don't know. A minute or two before the end I bid and became the high bidder. I fully expected to be outbid in the last few seconds of the auction, but much to my surprise I was the winner.

Three long days later it arrived.

Initial impression was not very favorable. G string is weak. C string is floppy and weak. Sound is thin and nasal across the board. G on the C string (7th fret) is not in tune with the open G string. It does have a gold foil label matching the photos I've found on-line which is a relief, and the stacked K headstock decal looks like the photos found on-line as well. I think this is a 1954 to 1969 Kamaka. I cannot find a date code inside, but the sound hole is too small for my inspection mirror so I cannot check the underside of the top. The crack in the back is not exactly closed - I can see light through it. And there appears to be a bit of a crack on the top side of the neck heel. Strange kind of crack, can't really describe it or imagine how it got there. Interior has a lot of glue drips - kind of a sloppy build. It looks like there is a screw inside the neck block going into the neck heel - at least there is a hole with a splinter there that appears to have been made before the body sides were glued up. The top seems a little dished - higher around the rim and lower between the sound hole and the bridge. There is a fine crack below the bridge too. Perhaps not worth the $230 I spent.

That night the Kamaka taught me the Godfather theme. It was just what the uke wanted to play. I cannot explain these things, only tell you that my wife and I have observed that instruments seem to have songs in them - songs they want to play, or play more easily, or inspire in the player. This one had the Godfather theme. Strange. This little soprano likes minor keys and dark intimidating songs.

Day 2 I decided to measure the strings to see if I could identify what was on the uke. It was an odd mix and I could not match these to any set I found on-line.
- g .0024" C .0031" E .0030" A .0018"

A flash of brilliance: I could try the strings from my Dixie Banjo Uke to see if the intonation was out, or if it was just the strings. When my wife bought the Dixie a few weeks ago the seller told her these were a new set of Aquila Reds.
- g .0020" C .0030" E .0024" A .0019", using my dial caliper.
An interesting transformation. The Kamaka sounds better. Richer. Fatter. More interesting resonance from the body. In tune up the neck. But it seems to be shouting at me all the time. I kind of like it.

Strings were ordered on Amazon. Lots of strings. Oasis, Martin M600, Aquila Reds and a Lava concert set that may end up here in the end.

First trial strings - Martin M-600s. I removed the reds and returned them to the Dixie. They settled in immediately.

The Kamaka was pretty clean, but I still cleaned up the fretboard and bridge with some lemongrass oil. The rest was cleaned with Martin guitar polish. The friction pegs were adjusted to have more consistent tension. Installing the strings I find the C string slot is too tight. The old string was really tight in the slot, very difficult to remove. The red was pretty tight too. This Martin C string was not going in, so I took a thin metal ruler and some sandpaper and made the slot slightly wider. Same at the nut - not perfect and I will need to order some guitar maker nut files to make this right. It is OK for now.

The Martin M600's take a couple of days to settle in and hold tune. First impression is that the C string is a little louder than the rest. The E string has a bit of a bridge buzz that I did not hear with the Reds or the mystery strings it arrived wearing. After another two days these strings are sounding better. Not shouting like the Reds, but more mellow and maybe a touch more refined. I think the string to string volume has become more consistent. I like these strings, but I'm not sure I love them.

Tonight I installed the Oasis strings. These are settling in, not quite holding tune yet but doing better than the Martin M600s were at this point. They seem to play in tune. Not a lot big difference from the M600's to my ear. I'll have to write an update after these have had a few days to settle in.

Last edited:
I enjoyed your review. Good storytelling. I'm glad you took a chance and it worked out. Let us know what other songs are inside this minor-key uke! And maybe a sound sample when you find the best strings?

Congratulations on your successful bidding. You tell the story well and seem to have a real keeper.

Since your post is as much a string review as a uke review, Martin M600/M620 strings are pretty darned good on any uke I've played them on. I always keep a set or two around. I'll play fancier, harder to find strings when I think to order them. But Martins are easy to find and sound great. I call them my fallback strings. I'll try others but if they don't please me on go the Martins. Then I usually forget to take them off again. Great strings.

you know i'm reluctant to buy a new kamaka ukulele because the old sopranos are so good. i got a gold label off ebay, cleaned it up, reglued the back. beautiful sound. it was too classic and fine to sell and it went to my grandson. i love the one piece front and backs and although the grain on mine was not premium grade, it was really varied and interesting koa and i was in love. i'm a concert guy so now i want a koa concert to replace the gold label soprano.
the old ones are great instruments and you can't ask for much more in life.

I didn't find much difference between the Oasis and the Martin strings either. Lavas are another story.

It's interesting how it's telling you what to play. My ukes do that too.

I would love to see some pictures!

I would love to see some pictures!

Ask and ye shall receive... cell phone photos.

20150325_174317.jpg20150325_173808.jpg20150325_173719.jpg20150325_173711.jpg20150325_173656.jpg

Photo1 shows the hole inside. Not sure if this is normal for a Kamaka or not, but looks like it was made before the neck block was glued to the sides.
Photo2 shows the crack in the back. The finish is a little dull/scratched/sanded along the crack. Looks like someone tried to glue it up.
Photo3 shows the bottom of the sides.
Photo4 shows the top of the sides. Top of the neck has that strange little crack/scratch.
Photo5 shows the top, untrimmed string ends and all.

Last edited:
More photos... are not uploading. Let's try using a URL from a hosting service.

I have a photo of the headstock:
20150310.jpg

Back of the headstock - note the little nibs on the tuners, as if they just came off the plastic mold tree.
20150311.jpg

And a closeup of the crack/scratch on the top of the neck heel.
20150312.jpg

Looking at this a little closer I think it may just be a scratch. And it seems to be under the finish. You can also see the glue line on the neck heel.

Last edited:
An update on the Oasis strings - I still think they sound like the Martin M600's. The C string has settled in and seems to have a voice more consistent with the others after a few days, same as the M600 C string. The tone is rather mellow even though these are the bright Oasis set.

Over all I'm really enjoying this little uke. It wasn't that long ago that I thought I'd never own a soprano ukulele. Things change.

For the weekend I may swap the Lava's from the Mele to the Kamaka. Based on how they sound on the Mele I have doubts as to how well they will work for the Kamaka.

This is what I found inside my Kamaka Golden label regarding the neck block...

20160909_210713.jpg

Let’s bring this thread up to date...having just bought a gold label Kamaka, probably a ‘60s version, I’d be interested to hear any/all y’alls string quests for your gold label. I’m thinking D’Adario black rectified. Any thoughts on that. I just heard a 100 year old+ soprano with actual real gut strings...Wow. Probably the best sounding Uke I have heard, so sweet, clear, full, almost harp like. Was it the strings or the build or the mature wood? Real gut is expensive plus would need a nut and bridge adjustment as they are a thicker gauge. How did the sugar strings work out?

Well my Gold Label finally arrived, it was a nail biter. It took 2 1/2 weeks on USPS Priority mail. Tracking just said “delivery delayed, in transit” for over a week till I went down to the local post office and ask them where it was. Then the tracking updated to “at regional facility” which is 1/2 hr drive from my local post office. Them it was in transit again for three days till I went and talked to my local PO, again. Then after 2 more days in transit it finally was out for delivery.It came with clear nylons on it. It is in excellent shape. Pristine I would say, looks like it was a closet queen. The nylon strings took almost two weeks to settle in. Nice sweet warm tone with that Koa jangle.
I do have D’adario black rectified and some Aquila “Genuine Gut Strings” for soprano ukulele. I want to eventually try the gut strings but like the sound of the nylons enough I’m not sure when I will get around to it.
What strings do you have on your Gold Label Kamaka?

Top Bottom