Thoughts on Ukuleles with More than 4 Strings

Stevelele

Reaction score
I've been intrigued with these instruments. The 5 string, 6 string and even 8 string ukulele. I think they often have a nice ethereal sound to them, but I've noticed that when they go up for sale, even the really nice ones don't sell right away. Wondering what those who have them think. I imagine it might be harder for fingerpicking, but not sure--I've only played around with a couple of them.

My 8-string tenor is my overall #1 ukulele. It's easier to play than my mandolin (another 8-stringer) and the sound is almost "orchestral." I mainly play rock, some reggae and a little contemporary country on it (old "Eagles" tunes really sound good!). It's just a matter of what genres are one's favorite and getting instruments appropriately tuned for it all.

Have never tried a six-string ukulele. That would be interesting.

My main "go to" ukulele is a Pono MCD, but my 2nd choice is my Lanikai LU8E

The 8 string is, for me, definitely harder to fingerpick, but on letting other guys have a go they seem to make it look easy.

The sound is different, halfway between a ukulele and a mandolin, and very full.

Having the flexibility of how you string the thing, (pairs, all an octave apart, or any combination), really does change how it sounds.

Steve

I find that my 6-string is difficult to play. Chords are no problem, and that's what I play with it. But I find barres are a trial to say the least. I'm working on 'em, but I still get a lotta plunks and thuds and sore fingers. I've tried fingerpicking it, but Ii gave that up right away.

When I bought it, I wanted an 8-string. I love the sound of 'em, but the store didn't have one. So I settled for the sixer. It was a big mistake. I would much rather have the 8, but it's too late now. I probably wouldn't have been able to play it either.

I like the sixer for chording, but if I had to give one up, the 6-string would be the one. :eek:ld:

I've been intrigued with these instruments. The 5 string, 6 string and even 8 string ukulele. I think they often have a nice ethereal sound to them, but I've noticed that when they go up for sale, even the really nice ones don't sell right away. Wondering what those who have them think. I imagine it might be harder for fingerpicking, but not sure--I've only played around with a couple of them.

I can not play a reg. 4 string uke well....so there is no way I will try a 5,6,or 8 string uke...haha...:)

they are more for strumming Hawaiian songs etc. not seen Corey or anyone else use it for fingerstyle....

my 2 cents

Last edited:
I play fingerpicked licks all the time on my 8 string. It fills out the sound beautifully, I think. I think of the 8 string sound as being shimmery.

Here's Stairway.

Here's a tune by the Decemberists.

Here's My My Hey Hey.

It's good for strumming, too, obviously. I love the sound, but it's not for every tune. I prefer it on more modern songs.

The six-string is pretty popular among gigging traditional Hawaiian musicians. I have one, and I really like the sound. I also like the five-string, with octave G strings. The eight-string for me is similar to a 12-string guitar, just getting that fuller sound. I find he six string does pretty much what the eight-string does with fewer strings.

In the right hands, the six string is pretty magical!

When I played guitar I went through a time when I was enamored of 12 string guitar, but I got tired of it being harder to play and it is harder to fingerpick. I also got tired of tuning it. As a consequence I haven't had much interest in double course strings on ukes.

When I played guitar I went through a time when I was enamored of 12 string guitar, but I got tired of it being harder to play and it is harder to fingerpick. I also got tired of tuning it. As a consequence I haven't had much interest in double course strings on ukes.

That is why the six-string is so cool, it has the sound of the double-course instruments, but only two "extra" strings so not that much more tricky to string up and tune.

I find that my 6-string is difficult to play. Chords are no problem, and that's what I play with it. But I find barres are a trial to say the least. I'm working on 'em, but I still get a lotta plunks and thuds and sore fingers. I've tried fingerpicking it, but Ii gave that up right away.

When I bought it, I wanted an 8-string. I love the sound of 'em, but the store didn't have one. So I settled for the sixer. It was a big mistake. I would much rather have the 8, but it's too late now. I probably wouldn't have been able to play it either.

I like the sixer for chording, but if I had to give one up, the 6-string would be the one. :eek:ld:
I had a 6 string, but I preferred my 8 string so I sold it. I think a 5 would be nice, high and low g.

wow, you are SO good!

I play fingerpicked licks all the time on my 8 string. It fills out the sound beautifully, I think. I think of the 8 string sound as being shimmery.

Here's Stairway.

Here's a tune by the Decemberists.

Here's My My Hey Hey.

It's good for strumming, too, obviously. I love the sound, but it's not for every tune. I prefer it on more modern songs.

Some day I intend to give the 6 or 8 string ukulele another try. But I fear that it is something I like better in concept than reality.

Wow there are some great examples here of 6 & 8 string Uke players (thanks for sharing). My 6 string is not my go to instrument but it is a keeper. I actually prefer it for fingerpicking when I want a really different sound. Note that I have always loved and had played 12 string guitar for many years (My favourate players being the Rev Gary Davis, Andy Cohen, Dave Van Ronk and of course Leo Kottke). Within the Uke context I have been interested to note that the son-in-law of my best friend in the USA (Will Kimbrough) , a professional singer songwriter out of Nashville, tours the world with a 8 string and a box of effects pedals.

wow, you are SO good!

Gee, thanks!

Within the Uke context I have been interested to note that the son-in-law of my best friend in the USA (Will Kimbrough) , a professional singer songwriter out of Nashville, tours the world with a 8 string and a box of effects pedals.

Our very own Uncle Elvis (aka Mike Hind) also plays 8 string with a couple of pedals as his full time gig.

I've considered trying out the six string to see what it might give me, but I've gotten pretty used to my eight, and feel good about it. My signature implies otherwise, I know, but When I play out, I play three ukes: the 8 string, the baritone, and the custom concert. The Martin and the electric are super fun at home now and again, and the Mele travels. But the difference in sound between the traditional, the bari, and the 8 string are enough to have me bring them all three along for longer gigs.

The six-string is pretty popular among gigging traditional Hawaiian musicians. I have one, and I really like the sound. I also like the five-string, with octave G strings. The eight-string for me is similar to a 12-string guitar, just getting that fuller sound. I find he six string does pretty much what the eight-string does with fewer strings.

In the right hands, the six string is pretty magical!

Hana Hou!!

6? 8? Sorry, not even Corey could make that 8 string sound good.

I have:
BP concert Kayak 5 string (octave g's)
BP baritone D body style 5 string (octave g's)
Kiwaya concert taropatch 8 string (matching courses on the strings)

I really like the sounds!

Top Bottom