Thread: I gave my ukulele the drop test!

Default I gave my ukulele the drop test!

A beautiful calm sunny day here in San Jose, perfect for spraying a stain coat on my little soprano outside on the driveway. I had a pencil stuck in the bolt hole as a holding device and was spraying merrily away when for no reason whatsoever, the pencil broke right at the hole and I watched in horror as my weeks of work fell to the concrete, bounced once, twice, before settling down. I picked it up expecting to see splits and cracks everywhere, but to my surprise and relief, there was not so much as a scratch to be found! Knowing that most of the wood was around 1.5 mm thick, I was amazed.
    I just had to relate my good fortune and a warning - don't use cheap pencils as a holding tool!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

It must be your lucky day! I'd be headed to the store for a lottery ticket, if I were you....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

bounced once, twice, before settling down
    I have long believed that luthiers should include a "coefficient of restitution" in their testing. The concepts of tone and aesthetics are only part of the perfect ukulele.
    Congratulations on pioneering this interesting new field.
    Miguel

I was going to write in the yellow cedar post that for neck wood, resistance to bending might be more important than janka hardness (resistence to a metal ball shot at it).
    I guess the Janka hardness is important after all.
    I remember Old Town in Maine demonstrated their canoes toughness by dropping one off the roof.

Nice work!
    -Vinnie in Juneau

Thread Information