UUBL: Reborn!

UkuleleHill

Reaction score
So I've been thinking... The format for UU Biggest Loser is something that works in the short term, but I want something long term... So I was thinking, what it we re-format it, short challenges from time to time, but mainly have somewhere we can talk about nutrition, workouts that we like, things we don't, you know, your normal getting to a better you discussion thread! We can have contests, but not a big one like we used to. Thoughts?

So I've been thinking... The format for UU Biggest Loser is something that works in the short term, but I want something long term... So I was thinking, what it we re-format it, short challenges from time to time, but mainly have somewhere we can talk about nutrition, workouts that we like, things we don't, you know, your normal getting to a better you discussion thread! We can have contests, but not a big one like we used to. Thoughts?

Count me in!

Sounds good to me.

Awesome! Let's talk strategy! What are you all doing, what's your goals? I'll start first:

I am currently at 210 lbs and looking to be down to 175-180 or 190 trimmed. I'm currently counting calories (as that's what I have noticed works best for me) but I am trying to keep under certain goals on the amount of carbs, sodium, cholesterol and the likes. I am walking 3 times a week and doing body weight and resistance training 3 times a week. I rest on Sundays and once I get back into my counting groove I will not count calories on Sundays as a "cheat" day.

I think I can pop on in from time to time :)

Well, a touch about me... I found out I had type 2 diabetes last year, and I was eh hem.. more plump than what would have suited a 9 foot tall human.
So.. Yeah, I decided to 'get healthy' instead of continuing to yoyo.

I am aiming to hit around 180 as my primary weight loss goal, but right alongside that my wellness goal is to keep my A1c (that's just a blood test that measures sugar control) in the normal range (mine is currently a 5.4, down from a 11.1 when I got my 'beetus diagnosis)

This morning on the scale I weighed in at 231, down from an all-time post-baby high of 324 in January 2014. I currently count calories, and eat a low-carb/moderate protein/healthy fats diet. (it's an anti inflammatory diet- aka keto, or a rather modified 'atkins-esque' style diet.) It really was a major lifestyle change. I don't really do cheat days, more like an occasional cheat item, cheat days mess my sugars up too much.

As for exercise, I wear a bodymedia armband to measure my activity, but I don't set aside time for much scheduled exercise. I log between 7 and 10k steps a day most days between school and work, some days it's less, some its more, as with anything else. I tend to eat less on lower activity days. I do go to school full time, and work full time... my hard spots are with my kids- they eat me out of house and home. Some days it feels like they never stop eating! hehe. I do tend to do "Baby plyometrics"- Body weight exercises while holding a 30+ lb kid. Squats with kids on shoulder.... baby presses... Baby bench press.. (and when they get ornery and do that boneless sink to the floor, the baby deadlift :) )

I think I can pop on in from time to time :)

Well, a touch about me... I found out I had type 2 diabetes last year, and I was eh hem.. more plump than what would have suited a 9 foot tall human.
So.. Yeah, I decided to 'get healthy' instead of continuing to yoyo.

I am aiming to hit around 180 as my primary weight loss goal, but right alongside that my wellness goal is to keep my A1c (that's just a blood test that measures sugar control) in the normal range (mine is currently a 5.4, down from a 11.1 when I got my 'beetus diagnosis)

This morning on the scale I weighed in at 231, down from an all-time post-baby high of 324 in January 2014. I currently count calories, and eat a low-carb/moderate protein/healthy fats diet. (it's an anti inflammatory diet- aka keto, or a rather modified 'atkins-esque' style diet.) It really was a major lifestyle change. I don't really do cheat days, more like an occasional cheat item, cheat days mess my sugars up too much.

As for exercise, I wear a bodymedia armband to measure my activity, but I don't set aside time for much scheduled exercise. I log between 7 and 10k steps a day most days between school and work, some days it's less, some its more, as with anything else. I tend to eat less on lower activity days. I do go to school full time, and work full time... my hard spots are with my kids- they eat me out of house and home. Some days it feels like they never stop eating! hehe. I do tend to do "Baby plyometrics"- Body weight exercises while holding a 30+ lb kid. Squats with kids on shoulder.... baby presses... Baby bench press.. (and when they get ornery and do that boneless sink to the floor, the baby deadlift :) )

Feeling inspired, humbled and weak in will after reading your post.

Congratulations on the results of your hard work.

After dropping 16 pounds already, I still need to lose 40 pounds to be at a weight I'm happy with. I have cut calories and trying to get back into an exercise routine. I get discouraged and cave in to comfort food. This thread may just be the motivation and accountability I need.

Gary... I am not an inspiration. Ha. I'm just doing corrective maintenance.

To quote Martin Yan.... If Yan Can Do it... You can too!

Last edited:
IMG_1884.jpgScreen Shot 2015-03-04 at 10.29.53 PM.jpg

The first pic is me at the beginning, probably june 2014, before I got my DM2 Diagnosis, so I was probably in the realm of 320. The second one, was Valentines 2015, I was about 230.

You can do it to Gary! It's all about finding what works for you! Sometimes the scale doesn't show it but the belt size does, don't be discouraged!

I'm starting to look at macros for Net Carbs, Fat and Protein... Wondering if that's what you all are doing? If so, what are your ratios? I tried Keto for a bit but it threw me into the Keto flu and it just didn't go away... I couldn't handle it!

I'm starting to look at macros for Net Carbs, Fat and Protein... Wondering if that's what you all are doing? If so, what are your ratios? I tried Keto for a bit but it threw me into the Keto flu and it just didn't go away... I couldn't handle it!

I try to carb cycle, but usually end up not eating enough. I am thinking of in general only eating whole food for awhile. It eliminated impulse eating and is hard to eat unhealthy. Nothing processed. Everything from the outside area of the grocery store. But in general I cut my carbs and seem to do well. But then I just came back from Washington DC and though I was not too terrible, I did not like what it did with my weight. But I think a lot was salt intake and it is leveling back out! But it put me a little behind in my before UWC goal :)

I still don't understand macros, really. And I eat some garbage every day. I allow 250 calories a day for just trash. Gotta live a little.

I try to carb cycle, but usually end up not eating enough. I am thinking of in general only eating whole food for awhile. It eliminated impulse eating and is hard to eat unhealthy. Nothing processed. Everything from the outside area of the grocery store. But in general I cut my carbs and seem to do well. But then I just came back from Washington DC and though I was not too terrible, I did not like what it did with my weight. But I think a lot was salt intake and it is leveling back out! But it put me a little behind in my before UWC goal :)

So what carb range do you use? I'm not sure about the low carbs like Keto and Atkins... I'm thinking more like somewhere around 100-150 net carbs? Or is that too much? That's what I am wondering...

I still don't understand macros, really. And I eat some garbage every day. I allow 250 calories a day for just trash. Gotta live a little.

I've been watching sugar intake and I cheated a bit last night because I was calorie poor and there was pumpkin pie... I ate a piece and you would not believe the sugar rush I had! It felt like I was pinging off the walls...

Okay I'm in. 50lbs to go.

On myfitnesspal. Recording my intake is super important for me. Friend me. I'm salukulady there too.

If mfp would actually load today, I'd tell you my macros. :) It is SO slow. (I ate a bunch-eg way too much-- eggplant, and I wanna log it, but it is taking FOREVER lately.)

I try to stay around 5% Carbs, 30% Protein and 65% fat, at 1500 calories a day, so... that's about 19ish grams of carbs, 125 grams of fat, and 75 grams of protein.

I also drink like a fish. (to properly keto, you need to love water more than Michael Phelps.)

I've been watching sugar intake and I cheated a bit last night because I was calorie poor and there was pumpkin pie... I ate a piece and you would not believe the sugar rush I had! It felt like I was pinging off the walls...

Andy... I ate crap for easter... and ended up sick for most of monday. Like so sick I couldn't go to school- just from the headache and body-aches from eating that much carbohydrate.
(I had 3 pierogies, a couple M&Ms, and 2 chocolate truffles.) Bleh.
Bleh.

'Beetus sucks.

Top Bottom