Launch of Papa KoAloha's newest Project "UKE S.A."!!!

ukulelelab

Reaction score
I'm proud to announce the launch of Alvin Okami's (aka Papa KoAloha) latest project "Uke S.A."!!!

This is a project that Alvin has been thinking of for a while. His passion for building ukuleles and to offer a affordable, quality Hawaii made Instrument.

I have to tell you, it's been a blast working with Pop's on this project and I am confident that whoever plays this ukulele will be amazed by the sound, playability and price!

This is the only ukulele that is quality hand built in Hawaii using a solid wood construction for under $300!!!

53c328_480b5a6e36964ab7bfdc1757c6e6c9d0.png_srz_p_555_803_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

The spec on the Uke S.A. barnd AO Soprano is:

Key Features:
-Solid Pinewood Body & Neck
-Koa Fretboard (w/Koa Binding) & bridge
-Revolutionary Pinewood Fretbands on 5, 7 & 10th fret
-Laser etched "AO" Logo on Headstock
-Geared Tuners
-Fluorocarbon Strings
-Low Action Setup
-Deluxe Gigbag

You can find out more on the website:
www.uke-sa.com

Place your order today before the back order builds up!!!

Wow...very nice sound. Interesting choice of woods.

Wow...very nice sound. Interesting choice of woods.

Yes, who would of though Pinewood would sound so nice! I was pretty amazed at the volume and tone of that instrument. Then he told me the price he wanted to sell it for... I had to ask 3 times!

They are slowing getting orders in so if you are thinking of ordering, DO NOT WAIT! You will end up waiting and regret not ordering it sooner!

hmm. pinewood is kind of vague. there are at least 40 species and many more subspecies.
BTW," the ukulele I was waiting for" was a replacement Sceptre I never got. Took a standard tenor as I ran out of patience.
good luck with the project though. I've never played a Koaloha product whose sound was not outstanding.
note though that this uke comes with a 30 day warrenty, not quite a good as Koaloha's "better than the weather" one.

Last edited:
Really neat concept. Really neat looks. Really neat price.

Wish it was a longneck. Wish I knew what kind of "pine" it was made of. Wish that 30 day warranty didn't concern me.

Hi guys, I'm not exactly sure which pine he uses since he has been getting them from various sources.
The reason for the 30 day warranty is due to the low cost of the instrument, they can't afford a lifetime warranty like the KoAlohas.

Pop's main purpose for this project is to offer a "affordable", good quality, made in Hawaii ukulele.

The reason for the 30 day warranty is due to the low cost of the instrument, they can't afford a lifetime warranty like the KoAlohas.

I, for one, would be slow to buy a new-issue solid pine ukulele with a 30-day warranty. Snail slow.

I, for one, would be slow to buy a new-issue solid pine ukulele with a 30-day warranty. Snail slow.

This.

I don't think anyone expects a lifetime "anything" Koaloha style warranty for that price. But 30 days....that makes you feel like Pops doesn't even have confidence in them. I mean, I'm sure that's not the case. But 30 days is the kind of thing you'd expect from a fly by night place.

I think that- given KoAloha's reputation- it's kind of lame to quibble over the warranty period. Does anyone know of KoAloha ever doing anything wrong, to anyone, ever? If you want the warranty in writing, then I'd save up a little more for a KoAloha. Also, just because Steve, who admits he has no woodworking experience, has a gripe with the use of pine wood, that shouldn't dissuade anyone from purchasing; if pine wood is bad, as he suggests, he should provide some form of evidence as to why he believes it so. The KoAloha company deserves no such disrespect. The KoAloha warranty is second to none. "Nuff said. -- Matt

I think that- given KoAloha's reputation- it's kind of lame to quibble over the warranty period. Does anyone know of KoAloha ever doing anything wrong, to anyone, ever? If you want the warranty in writing, then I'd save up a little more for a KoAloha. Also, just because Steve, who admits he has no woodworking experience, has a gripe with the use of pine wood, that shouldn't dissuade anyone from purchasing; if pine wood is bad, as he suggests, he should provide some form of evidence as to why he believes it so. The KoAloha company deserves no such disrespect. The KoAloha warranty is second to none. "Nuff said. -- Matt
^^ What this guy said.

I know of two very highly respected US builders who have used pine as tops and backs & sides. Soft wood yeah, but hell responsive.

C'mon you guys. It's KoAloha we're talkin' bout here. After Jesus, and maybe Paul and John, it's Papa that gotsta be next in line right?

What I'm waiting for is someone here on UU to review this uke.

I already have a Koaloha pineapple which means I don't really need this uke but also means I'm a Koaloha fangirl and sorely tempted by this uke.

I think that- given KoAloha's reputation- it's kind of lame to quibble over the warranty period. Does anyone know of KoAloha ever doing anything wrong, to anyone, ever?...The KoAloha company deserves no such disrespect. The KoAloha warranty is second to none. "Nuff said. -- Matt

That's a bit unfair. This isn't a Koaloha. And hey, remember all of those Koalanas that cracked?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. All respect to Koaloha and Papa. I have loved my Koaloha concert for years. The next time I end up with a pile of cash for a Hawiian ukulele, Koaloha will be the first place I look. But I hardly think questioning the minimal 30 day warranty period on a brand new ukulele using a wood and design that we don't see much counts as sacrilege. This isn't a personal attack, it's business feedback from a target market for the product.

I hope a ton of these sell and I hope everybody loves them and I'm left wishing I had gotten in on the ground floor. As is, I'll probably hold off until I hear reports from some other folks. $300 may not be much to a lot of you and it sure isn't much for a Hawiian made ukulele. But it's still a month or so of groceries for most of us.

Last edited:
That having been said, truth be told, if it was a long neck I'd probably give it a shot right now.

As I said earlier, love the idea, love the design, love the price range.

if it was a long neck I'd probably give it a shot right now.

I have to agree with Photojosh on this. It's sorely tempting though.

There are some things here that make me think..... Fender are making chinese teles and strats, with a pine body, and they get good reviews, with many a "value for money" remark. Pine, and depending on the closeness of the grain (cold areas) would make good tonewood in my opinion, and I am not a luthier. I would wait or try one out, before publishing speculating or 2nd guessing texts. I base my research on how long our pine kitchen cabinets have lasted. Well over 30 years ! :eek:

I appreciate everyone's feedback and concern. I've been sharing the info with Pops also.
I think that the instrument will answer everyone's questions as reviews and feedbacks from other members that have purchased the instrument gets posted.

I believe a few have already shipped out, not sure if they are on this forum, but I know there are a few waiting in line that are on here.

Also, feel free to check out their FB page /ukulelespecialtiesamerica

Mahalo!

Top Bottom