Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concert Body with Tenor Neck?

Default Concert Body with Tenor Neck?

I'm intrigued by this combination - Concert Body with Tenor Neck?

What's the appeal? Pros and Cons?

Potential benefits include larger fretboard for more finger real estate and higher string tension. For some people, it may be more comfortable to hold the smaller body.

One of the potential negatives to consider is it will likely be neck heavy. This may or may not be an issue for you (e.g., if you play with strap, probably not an issue).

The KoAloha KCM-002 is a very popular longneck concert and the only one I've spent a lot of time with. Loved it.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I have a Ceniza all koa concert with a tenor neck. The neck is narrow and therefore very fast. I find it to be a very, very comfortable ukulele to hold and play. I think having a longer neck on either a soprano or a concert really increases the playability. I am, however, a tenor and baritone player mostly.

I have a Moore Bettah super-concert. I love it. I like the size of a concert body, but like the extra frets for playing.

You are so lucky to have a concert MB uke! As long as I could have another koa tenor uke from Chuck, I would be very very happy. I guess I do not have the opportunity to own a concert one coz that usually is a custom uke
    Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I have a Moore Bettah super-concert. I love it. I like the size of a concert body, but like the extra frets for playing.

I don't get it. If you want to play a tenor scale, why get a little body? (I know you guys will explain it, but I'm too stupid to understand.)
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    I don't get it. If you want to play a tenor scale, why get a little body? (I know you guys will explain it, but I'm too stupid to understand.)
    Concert-size body is more comfortable for some people to hold.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Why a super concert? I prefer that body size. But a concert neck doesn't have enough frets.
    The song I am working on now goes up to the A string 15th fret. A tenor neck is better. Plus the sound of a concert doesn't seem to deep to me.

Sukie, I KNEW there was something different about your uke! A tenor body isn't comfortable to hold, for me, either. But I don't play up the neck so much yet, so the regular size neck is okay. I tried a couple of shorter necked concerts, and there just weren't enough frets to work with...
    But I think a super concert is intriguing, especially with a thin neck, so it's not too heavy.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thinline tenor vs Concert with tenor neck?

Thread Information