4 String to 6 String.

thowell3

Reaction score
Hi all,
So After many months of thinking about how I was going to go about this I finally decided a way to get around this though in my head.

A few months ago I met some one at a Ukulele Jam that had a 6 String Ukulele. I feel in love with the sound of it and really wanted one of my own, now here comes the hard bit. I am a natural Lefty, So any type of playing a right handed model would be almost impossible, The reason for this (as many of you know) Is the fact that the C string and A String are doubled up and tuned in octave apart.

Now if it were a regular 4 string, all I'd have to do is flip the strings and away I'd go, but since flipping the strings wouldn't make it work I had to look at other options, such as buying a 6 string and replacing the Nut with a custom one that would work for my needs. But that would be costly and really annoying to do.

I had also considered buying a 8 string Ukulele and swapping the strings around on that, but the price on the 8 strings weren't much better then what it would cost to get a 6 string and swapping the nut.

But after some talking with the guy at the Guitar store in town (the one that assisted on my Violele a year ago) I mentioned that I had a Fender Soprano Ukulele and asked what he thought about turning it into a 6 string Ukulele. He told me to bring it in and he'd have a look.

Well good news on that front, I am one step closer to owning my very own 6 String ukulele, He has said that there would be no problem modding this old Fender Ukulele into a 6 string and he is willing to do it for me. I have to find the time for him to do it and get all the information about a 6 string setup before I get him to do it but as soon as I have I will be asking him to set it up for me.

So if you have any helpful info about 6 string Ukuleles that might help me figure it out and make it work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Your main problem will be the added tension of 6 strings rather than 4. If the uke isn't made for 6 strings, you could end up warping the top, pulling the brdige off or even having the top come loose. The guy at the store should have thought of this but maybe he doesn't know much about ukes and their construction.

Hi all,
So After many months of thinking about how I was going to go about this I finally decided a way to get around this though in my head.

A few months ago I met some one at a Ukulele Jam that had a 6 String Ukulele. I feel in love with the sound of it and really wanted one of my own, now here comes the hard bit. I am a natural Lefty, So any type of playing a right handed model would be almost impossible, The reason for this (as many of you know) Is the fact that the C string and A String are doubled up and tuned in octave apart.

Now if it were a regular 4 string, all I'd have to do is flip the strings and away I'd go, but since flipping the strings wouldn't make it work I had to look at other options, such as buying a 6 string and replacing the Nut with a custom one that would work for my needs. But that would be costly and really annoying to do.

I had also considered buying a 8 string Ukulele and swapping the strings around on that, but the price on the 8 strings weren't much better then what it would cost to get a 6 string and swapping the nut.

But after some talking with the guy at the Guitar store in town (the one that assisted on my Violele a year ago) I mentioned that I had a Fender Soprano Ukulele and asked what he thought about turning it into a 6 string Ukulele. He told me to bring it in and he'd have a look.

Well good news on that front, I am one step closer to owning my very own 6 String ukulele, He has said that there would be no problem modding this old Fender Ukulele into a 6 string and he is willing to do it for me. I have to find the time for him to do it and get all the information about a 6 string setup before I get him to do it but as soon as I have I will be asking him to set it up for me.

So if you have any helpful info about 6 string Ukuleles that might help me figure it out and make it work, I would greatly appreciate it.

not only the tension, not sure how you will make your fender soprano into a 6-string. most are tenor scale and some custom concerts but most are tenor scale.

If you really want a 6-string I suggest buying a 6 string then convert it to left hand, changing an new nut is dirt cheap or you can just flip the nut and re shape it. then for the bridge, just drill two holes, sting thru bridge method. or you might have to make all 6 new holes thru bridge to get even spacing.

OR just buy a Lefty Kala 6-string ukulele second hand

If you look at Taimana CD cover you will see a 8-string Kamaka and is now a 5-string.

Last edited:
The only problem with buying a second hand left handed 6 string is there aren't any to be had. And what I've seen upon inspection of most makes of 6 strings is it wouldn't work drilling more wholes for the strings to work for left handed. And as for the guy I talked to he has been modding guitars and other string instruments for years. I'll try getting a second opinion from another guy that I know and see what he thinks. I know as some people say I could "learn play with my right hand" but it has never felt right playing around that way.

Top Bottom