Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm at it again. BAS has replaced UAS.

The ashbory tuners are only slotted, that's it. I did the whole fold down the string end and twist around to hold it, even with the E string. That was with a set of white thunderguts I had.

The hadean omega sub I have the tuners each have a hole in the middle in addition to the slot for the string end to go into. I like that configuration a whole lot better, and the tuners seem pretty solid.

Both my D and G strings (stock white thunderguts) are sausaging at this time. I've got a set of pahoehoe's ready to go whenever I need them. Apparently those don't sausage.

And definitely take a close look at the intonation of the rondo ubass when you get it.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 04-14-2015 at 10:40 AM.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Thanks Booli for the links, good prices. You sure are workin' it with your build, I'm going to have my luthier do the cutting and refinishing of the blue, I'll take care of the hardware, easy enough. As you see in my signature, I have a sunburst and a natural. When I saw the blue Hadean, I decided it would be my "Ric" one instead of spending $1000 on a custom.

The last couple of days I've seen on Rondo's bass listings a zebra wood and a really nice looking flamed maple acoustic base uke.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 04-15-2015 at 04:47 AM.

As I tinker with the redesign of the blue Rondo Hadean, I came up with a nice pickguard. I like having a thumb rest, but I want it to be integrated to the instrument; on the Les Paul I doubled up the top edge of the pickup frame, which works just great, on my Gold Tone I used an electric cable guide clear plastic holder along the edge of the soundhole, and on the Telecaster bass, I had the builder make a thumb rest that matches the pickguard held down by the pickguard screws. Adding a pickguard to the blue Hadean allows for the same kind of thumb rest.

Last edited by kohanmike; 04-14-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    As I tinker with the redesign of the blue Rondo Hadean...
    Looks like your design is coming along.

I received a notice from UPS that my sunburst model is to be delivered TODAY!!!!

I know that Rondo has at least one location in NJ (where I'm currently located) so this is pretty nice. I'm also going to call them today (WED) and see if the local store has these Uke Basses in stock, and if so, maybe take a trip over there to check out the acoustic models. I haven't been there in over 10 yrs, but they are about 35 mins drive from me.

Depending upon getting the solid-body model to fit in a case easily or not, I may be forced to shorten the 'horns' similar to your rendering above...

But I will at least try to see if it will fit in other different cases that I have before I get out the hacksaw and sandpaper - LOL
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

The custom u-bass I had made in Vietnam is a 21" scale. 31.7" long, all of my gig bags are way too big for it, so I searched around and finally came across the gig bag made for the Traveler acoustic guitar, it's 32" long and wide so I bought it from their web site, $60 plus shipping and tax, http://travelerguitar.com/store#!/GI...tegory=9463084. I plan to use it for the Hadean (UPS shows delivery next Tuesday).

Well, I must be seriously overcome with UAS/BAS right now.

Last night I could not stop thinking about the other acoustic Rondo Uke Basses, so...in a mad frenzy, I gave in.

Yep, I bought one!

The natural model: http://www.rondomusic.com/UKB-24.html

Which is listed as a prototype, and has the trap door for string installation, which the other model (more yellow-colored) does not, as per the description and photos: "Now with rear access panel to make string changing easy!"

As far as a case for this one, the dimensions listed on Rondo seems hopeful for it to fit into either a Uke Crazy style case, or the Lanikai Baritone Hard-bag case (both of which I have for other instruments), and can do a test fit before ordering another for this instrument.

As to my project Bari-to-UBass conversion project- I'll now have a fully formed Bass uke to compare it to, and should I decide to do any mods to these new Hadean uke basses, I can test it first on the conversion instrument...worst-case-scenario (hopefully) is to have a fretless (in the Bari-to-UBass conversion) and maybe leave this Hadean one fretted...otherwise I'll have a batch of spare parts in nuts and tuners and strings in case of any repairs later on.

I fully realize that I may have jumped the shark here by buying both of these sight-unseen, but since others here on UU have reported them to be playable and functional and sound pretty decent, I think I am ok, and rumor has it that Rondo is good about returns, and I'd only be out the return shipping costs.

The custom u-bass I had made in Vietnam is a 21" scale. 31.7" long, all of my gig bags are way too big for it, so I searched around and finally came across the gig bag made for the Traveler acoustic guitar, it's 32" long and wide so I bought it from their web site, $60 plus shipping and tax, http://travelerguitar.com/store#!/GI...tegory=9463084. I plan to use it for the Hadean (UPS shows delivery next Tuesday).
    That case is definitely a contender for the Hadean solid-body, and one to consider. Please report back how it fits.

Also, to note that Kala has a padded gig bag for their U-Bass SUB: DUB-UBASS-SB Deluxe Bag for Solid Body U-BASS

seen here: http://kalabrand.com/ProductPages/BagsCasesU-BASS.html

on sale for $48 USD here: http://kala-gear.hostedbyamazon.com/.../dp/B007KONIBM

and the dimensions they list for it here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...6ZjZieFE#gid=0

suggest that it just might be a better fit for the Hadean solid body, and also to note that Kala's UC-B Acoustic-Electric U-BASS Hard Foam Case
    (also shown at the above links)have dimensions that should accomodate the acoustic U-Bass if all the specs for the dimensions from both Rondo and Kala are accurate.

I should also mention, in my excitement I mis-read the tracking info on the solid-body, and it''s actually scheduled to be delivered TOMORROW (Thurs 4/16) and not today. If the 2-day transit time holds true for the acoustic Hadean uke bass, then that item may arrive on Sat 4/18...

so if all goes well, my weekend will be full.

Again, Mike, thanks for the heads-up on these being available again!
    Last edited by Booli; 04-15-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added pricing info

You're certainly welcome. With your "plywood" complaint about the the natural, I'm surprised you chose it over the flame maple (one of my favorite looks). BTW, that preamp is not Fishman, it's Chinese made that I've used on my ukes, I like it. I know how xAS can take hold, I came very close to ordering the Hofner AND the Rickenbacker builds, but that's been squelched for the time being with the Rondo Hadean, I just don't know how long.

I actually had the Traveler gig bag modified with an extra large front pouch to fit my 13.3" tablet I use just for music, and added a pouch on the lower back side to hold my modified music stand (a conversation unto itself). My Bruce Wei u-bass fits perfectly and it has some removable padding, I see no problem with the Hadean.

Hey!!! I just looked at your string sale link and found Thunder Red bass strings for $23, I couldn't find any on the internet when I searched yesterday, so I ordered them direct from Aquila Italy for $47, crap!!!. I'll see if I can cancel.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 04-15-2015 at 11:47 AM.

You're certainly welcome. With your "plywood" complaint about the the natural, I'm surprised you chose it over the flame maple (one of my favorite looks).
    I liked the look of the flame maple better, but installing the strings through the soundhole is a PITA without the trap door in the back of the body.

Literally fishing a wire down into the string hole from the top, and then pulling it out the soundhole, and taping the end of the wire to the end of the U-Bass string, and then stuffing it all inside the uke and gently trying to pull it all out the string hole. Too many times the tape came off, and I tried 4 different kinds of tape before I had success with the brown plastic shipping tape. All of this trouble is despite having enlarged the string hole diameter, with multiple incrementally larger diameter drill buts, as large as I could without sacrificing the structural integrity of the top or the bridge.

I did it with my conversion project and ran out of good profanity before I was done, so wanting to avoid repeating that experience, the grain patterns on the natural plywood model are a lot less offensive to me than the zebrawood model, which I thought looked more like the 1970's wood wall paneling. The model I ordered seems figured in a more of a 'wave'-type pattern than just the black grain lines of the zebrawood veneer, which is softer to my eye.

Plus, I'm curious to see how they did this trap door in the back, as I'd like to copy it and put a trap door on the back of the conversion instrument. However, since this is a task that requires great finesse in the cutting of the hole, I am more comfortable using a 2.5" hole saw with a hand drill on a slow speed, than using a dremel to cut out an area of that size by hand.

BTW, that preamp is not Fishman, it's Chinese made that I've used on my ukes, I like it.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Knowing how many ukes and basses you have, this helps me rest easy that it's not total crapola.

I know how xAS can take hold, I came very close to ordering the Hofner AND the Rickenbacker builds, but that's been squelched for the time being with the Rondo Hadean, I just don't know how long.
    and in a future post...you will of course detail that experience - I look forward to seeing it.

I actually had the Traveler gig bag modified with an extra large front pouch to fit my 13.3" tablet I use just for music, and added a pouch on the lower back side to hold my modified music stand (a conversation unto itself). My Bruce Wei u-bass fits perfectly and it has some removable padding, I see no problem with the Hadean.
    Thanks for that info. If Empire Music in Canada has the Uke-Crazy style canvas covered hardfoam baritone cases in stock, and are still priced ~$39 USD, I might opt for that if the one I have here fits the Hadean. The added rigidity is a plus in my book, and a bit more protection that a floppy gig bag can provide...and I'm not concerned with air travel yet, just protection maybe in/out of the car if/when necessary and in the closet when not being played or hung on the wall.

They are out of stock at the moment for the bari-sized, but have the other sized cheaper than every other vendor I've found online for such a case:

http://empiremusic.net/index.php?rou...scription=true

I've also ordered this Kala baritone case from Sweetwater for $43 (with free shipping) in the past, that works well:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BariUkeCase

Hey!!! I just looked at your string sale link and found Thunder Red bass strings for $23, I couldn't find any on the internet when I searched yesterday, so I ordered them direct from Aquila Italy for $47, crap!!!. I'll see if I can cancel.
    Thanks for clicking that link. Each order earns me points that I can use for future purchases.

I've found the Aquila RED Thundergut strings available online at quite a few online vendors, including SAB as well as Amazon, but with my link (IIRC 5%?) and the current 15% off you can get a decent discount on them from SAB.

For future reference, here are some other links to them for sale:
    (note that prices vary widely, and none are cheaper at the moment than using my link to SAB and their 15% off, sorry if this seems like I'm a shill, but I'm really just a happy customer of Strings and Beyond [SAB] and trying to recoup the small fortune I've already spent testing all kinds of uke and classical strings over the past 18 months)

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/ABU91.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Aquila-Thunder...rds=aquila+91u

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...s+91U&_sacat=0

Thanks for all the links Booli. I received a processing email from Aquila in Italian and replied that I want to cancel the order. I hope they get it and understand.

For my u-bass from Bruce Wei, I had him enlarge the sound hole so my hand could fit, but it's still awkward, having an access panel on the back is a good idea, makes it so much easier.

Thanks for all the links Booli. I received a processing email from Aquila in Italian and replied that I want to cancel the order. I hope they get it and understand.

For my u-bass from Bruce Wei, I had him enlarge the sound hole so my hand could fit, but it's still awkward, having an access panel on the back is a good idea, makes it so much easier.
    Yeah, I hate that I cant get my hand inside any uke. I have no small children nearby, nor with the manual dexterity required to help me, and at times I've thought of getting one of those robotic arm kits and mounting a pinhole camera with an LED light to it somehow, in order to be able to work inside the instrument, but it seems like a lot for that purpose. Much like a Rube Goldberg contraption LOL.

Can you go on their web site and login and look at your order history?

When I've gone to aquilacorde.com it seems they have an automatic script on the web site that sets the language to English via internet gelocation of your IP address being from the USA, allthough some deeper parts of their site are only in Italian. If you can get into the order history or send them a message right on the site via their 'Contact' page and include your order number, maybe that will be effective as well?

FYI: you can go to Google Translate via https://translate.google.com and copy the Italian text from your email and then paste it into the box and then hit the 'translate' button and it should auto-recognize the source language, and then render it into broken English, in like a 4th-grade reading level.

Once you see what it says, you can also do the reverse, by typing your intended message in English, and having Google translate into Italian, and copy/paste both the English and Italian text into your email, and they should be able to make sense of it.

I've seen Mimmo of Aquila post here on UU in English, and in many of his youtube videos he speaks in English with a nice an very thick Italian accent which is quite musical in itself, so hopefully they can understand your intent...

Thread Information