Clara in the NUD

McX

Reaction score
My Blackbird Clara arrived today. You've heard it before: Big sound, warm tones, nice feel. You've seen the pics before, too, so I'll post some that might give you a little different angle.

My initial thoughts:
  • Wow, this box is light.
  • Hey, this is a pretty nice case (the upgraded Mono case you see in the pics)
  • Clara must have had a cozy trip (again, see pics).
  • Feels nice in the hands/arms. Until now I've been more of a Tenor guy, but I like the feel of this "tiny" (to me) instrument.
  • Yeah, big sound for a small instrument.
  • Smooth. It's really smooth and I expected more texture from the look of the eKoa material.
  • Love the stealth tuners.
  • The headstock is thinner than I expected, but everything feels bombproof.
  • Hey, I'm not gonna need a humidifier for this one.
  • Wish there was some info about the pickup. I'll have to look up the charging time, etc. (I know it's ridiculously quick to charge).

I'll post some more philosophical thoughts and a few more pics in the followup post.

Attachments

• 01 Mono.jpg
    01 Mono.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 02 comfy.jpg
    02 comfy.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 03 Hello.jpg
    03 Hello.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 04 label.jpg
    04 label.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 05 pickups.jpg
    05 pickups.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 75
More pics, thoughts

This is a beautiful, well-crafted instrument, that I think I'll be very happy with. And yet, it could never replace a master-crafted wood instrument.

I'm a techno-geek and I love the technology, the industrial design, the engineering, and yes, the craftsmanship of this instrument, but that doesn't take away at all from the beauty or value of a work of art created by a master luthier, and my next ukulele will be (a tenor) of the latter variety.

Still, I'm going to play the heck out of this one and enjoy every minute of it.

Attachments

• 06 Bridge.jpg
    06 Bridge.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 07 standup.jpg
    07 standup.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 54
  • 08 Hi hi Blackbird.jpg
    08 Hi hi Blackbird.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 53
Enjoy it!

It takes a minute to charge the MiSi. Yes, literally a minute. That will last 8+ hours.

Very nice!!!

One question what kind of tuners are those? They look very unusual.

I thought they were now using gotoh UPT tuners.

Very nice!!!

One question what kind of tuners are those? They look very unusual.

I thought they were now using gotoh UPT tuners.

These are the new Gotoh Stealth tuners (Gotoh calls them Stealth Keys), using the face-mounted option. http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?page_id=2232

Another option is to have the string post come out the side on which the GOTOH logo is stamped, for mounting on the face of the headstock. A shorter post is available for this use. When using the key in this style, string tension must be less than 10kgs (22 lbs).

To be clear, the Stealth tuners are an upgrade I chose when I ordered. Joe sent me a picture and asked whether I liked the face-mounted version and whether I wanted gunmetal or gold.

Interesting tuners, do you know if they offer a clara with pegheds or similar as an option?

The default Gotoh UPT tuning machines are the closest to pegheds that they offer AFAIK. You can see them in the shots on the blackbird site.

I thought of pegged a bit UPTs go with the state of the art materials and look and are as good as pegheds.

One thing I'm disappointed is in some of the prices for certain minor changes for instance I wanted white UPTs on the btu and they were asking 75$ additional. And front dots are 50$ come on. The Ukes are great and all but at he price point these additional charges turn me off a bit...

I thought of pegged a bit UPTs go with the state of the art materials and look and are as good as pegheds.

One thing I'm disappointed is in some of the prices for certain minor changes for instance I wanted white UPTs on the btu and they were asking 75$ additional. And front dots are 50$ come on. The Ukes are great and all but at he price point these additional charges turn me off a bit...

I've had a couple conversations with Joe ... he impressed me as the type who'd appreciate hearing that feedback ... give him a call.

Hi McX,
Congrats on your Clara! I just received my Clara a little over a week ago except with the UPT tuners. I do have a Famous (Kiwaya) concert with openslot headstock and a Dave Talsma concert vita style with a open head stock and the Gotoh stealth mini tuners which are great tuners. Enjoy your Clara!

Thanks, d. I am enjoying it very much. Playing a concert is new for me, and I was a bit worried as I have broad finger-ends (think Fred Flinstone), but I'm finding it very playable.

Any word on a Clara tenor scale, even if, and preferably, a Clara with the same body in a tenor scale. I've written to Blackbird with no response. Sent a second email this morning and hopefully they will answer.

Any word on a Clara tenor scale, even if, and preferably, a Clara with the same body in a tenor scale. I've written to Blackbird with no response. Sent a second email this morning and hopefully they will answer.

This would require a whole new mold. Clara's back and neck are one piece all the way up to and including the headstock. One of the design goals of Clara is to be a traveling/packing/camping uke that gives nothing away in sound quality. Making it bigger takes away from that goal. My Clara is the loudest ukulele I own (louder than Martin and Pono tenors). I have a little trouble going back and forth between the tenor and concert scale lengths. Practice overcomes that liability. Concerts are my first love so I don't care about it not being a tenor. YMMV.

I am a tenor guy first, so that was the reason for the post. I just got a previously loved Clara yesterday and already see that I am going to like it, but as a tenor guy, it is a bit small for my everyday player. I figured with all the good press about it, this was my chance to be able to learn to go back and forth from a good tenor to a good concert.

Joe from BB just wrote me back on this question and said that they are thinking about a tenor and would like to have a tenor concept in about a year.

It will be interesting to watch.

This would require a whole new mold. Clara's back and neck are one piece all the way up to and including the headstock. One of the design goals of Clara is to be a traveling/packing/camping uke that gives nothing away in sound quality. Making it bigger takes away from that goal. My Clara is the loudest ukulele I own (louder than Martin and Pono tenors). I have a little trouble going back and forth between the tenor and concert scale lengths. Practice overcomes that liability. Concerts are my first love so I don't care about it not being a tenor. YMMV.

A Super Clara (same body, but longer neck so 17" instead of 15") would probably fill the need just as well, I'd think.

My Clara has the MISI in so I have the strap button. There is no button on the heel, though. Because of this material, what is the safety factor of putting one in there without destroying the uke?

That would be ideal. The body is big enough. I want more fretting space.

A Super Clara (same body, but longer neck so 17" instead of 15") would probably fill the need just as well, I'd think.

That's a good question for Joe. I figured if I ended up strapping it'll have to be the headstock kind.

Top Bottom