Oahu Made Local Harvest Beautiful Ukes by Emil Bader of S&J Crafts. Uke Vacation!!!

Supershady1

Reaction score
Oahu Made Local Harvest Beautiful Ukes by Emil Bader of S&J Crafts. Uke Vacation!!!

MORE PICTURES!!!Hawaiian Ukuleles 013.jpgHawaiian Ukuleles 016.jpg

My first Uke thread!!

Aloha everyone!!

Just back from a two week vacation on the island of Oahu! First week was spent at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, doing the touristy Waikiki Beach, hitting Arnold's tiki bar for cheap Mai Tai's and PBRs on Tap. All you can eat Macadamian/Cococonut/Banana/Blueberry pancakes at the Coffee Shop. Avanti Aloha Shirts for me and one for my boss back on the mainland.

The second part of the vacation was doing some Glamour camping on a former sugar cane plantation up in North Shore. Beautiful Lani with a luxury tent/King Size bed, out door shower. Complete relaxing vibe up in Waialua.

In the middle was a stop at Emil Bader's shop of S&J Crafts in the Kalihi Valley to pick up a Super Tenor Mango!! I guess you could plan a vacation around picking up a Uke, especially a real pretty uke form Emil.

I came across a custom built Koa tenor six -string on Craigs List for a really incredible price one day and ran over in a pouring rainstorm to pick her up. I met the PO at a superstore outside in a sheltered area and was flabbergasted at the quality of the build and his need to unload a number of his musical instruments(Music student). We came to an agreed to price and he kindly offered her to to me at lesser price due to the drive and weather.

Upon return home I started to find out more about the builder through the underground and the store that carries his product on the North Shore of Oahu. One thing led to another and I was speaking with a soft spoken Hawaiian who loves building ukes for the fun of it. A member of the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii. Talked about ukes and a possible build of a Super Tenor. Month later planning a trip to Oahu for spring break and Uke heaven. My wife insisted that I bring a uke to play buy the pool and on the Lanai to keep me happy while we waited to go see Emil. I brought a Makai Mango Tenor to have some fun with and show Emil. I am friends with the Owner of Makai based here in San Fran.

The big day could not get here soon enough and we pick up the rental car and soon I am standing in Emil's little work shop where there are many WIPs Ukes around you. Inventory for the store, custom builds, repairs and even some outrigger paddles he makes!! He is so happy to see my wife and I. He loves to talk about his ukes and the process he goes through in his build. He talked about the issues of Koa restrictions and focusing on more exotic local woods: Milo, Tamarind, Mango, Guave, and others. All hand fabricated, necks done by hand and feel. He has been asked to raise his prices but he is very happy with where he is in his life and spreading the Aloha with his Ukes.

The Mango tenor is a stunner, with inlay and gold grovers. Great setup by Emil. Let the pictures do the talking.

But wait remember that Makai? Emil want to see it and then makes me a trade for a Milo concert he had built I think in 2012. Of course I ma giddy to trade for another Hawaiian hand made Uke!! He wants to play with it and maybe dress it up for a relative that is sick.

We talked about the Big Hawaii players the big 3 K's and how he feels about his ukes in comparison.

I love his attitude and his happiness in sharing his ukes with the public at a stunning price. Of course I have no financial connection with Emil and there are other here that can vouch for his Ukes and his general happy personality.

The rest of the vacation was spent up in North shore, snorkeling at waimea bay, shark's cove and having some relaxing time on the farm strumming my Hawaiian Ukes. :cool::cool::drool::drool:

Some Pictures!!
Hawaiian Ukuleles 006.jpgHawaiian Ukuleles 007.jpgView attachment 78673

Attachments

• Hawaiian Ukuleles 009.jpg
    Hawaiian Ukuleles 009.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
More Candy! Mango! Milo! Koa!

Hawaiian Ukuleles 011.jpgHawaiian Ukuleles 014.jpgHawaiian Ukuleles 015.jpg

Attachments

• Hawaiian Ukuleles 012.jpg
    Hawaiian Ukuleles 012.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 38
  • Hawaiian Ukuleles 013.jpg
    Hawaiian Ukuleles 013.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome to UU! Thanks for the pix....

I love my S&J Ukuleles, so happy you got to meet the man, he is a great guy!

I'm definitely gonna stop there the next time I go over. I go to Waialua Coffee plantation anyway . . .

Thanks for the tip! (Does he have a web site>>)

bobinde

Last edited:
Thanks Pueo!!

Emil is such a nice guy and I could spend all day there but we need to move on and we were holding up from a lot of ukes to finish up. Global Creations only had one of his Ukes in stock as they are pre ordered and fly off the shelves. It looked like a Milo concert pineapple.

Eventhough I ended up with three of his beautiful ukes, now I am jonesing for another!! He was building a Baritone! Special order of course. But maybe I need a super tenor pineapple in something crazy like Guava or Lychee.

We had a such a great time on Oahu, that I am sure we will be back next year.

Is there another S&J your thinking about??

No website, and the one for the Island Global Creation store is on the fritz. I have more pictures to post of Emil and I with big smiles and his work shop if I can figure out how to increase my files space.

I can send you more pictures if you like just PM with your contact info.

Congratulations on your 6 string ,looks very nice...happy strummings :)
That was a super trade, holy smokes :)
I'm sure if you were in Wailua and sharks cove, you stopped down by the shop that sells in haleiwa
http://www.yahglobal.com/oahu---hon...ini-site/9332/global-creations-interiors.html

I went to the Global Island Creations store that carries his ukes but they only had one left, they have list for when they come in. Also Stopped and visited the guys at The Ukulele store. I has bought a Cordoba Quatro from them a year or two ago. Zachary did the set up and the store guys are all super nice. My Quatro is autographed by Al Jardine of the Beach Group. If I spell out the group the website will probably get sued by one of the Members.

The trade had me in tears...of joy. I was smiling so much!!

Pictures of Emil and his shop!!

Two Happy Guys!!!HAWAII 122.jpgHAWAII 069.jpgHAWAII 070.jpgHAWAII 073.jpgHAWAII 074.jpg

Picture of a Milo Pineapple at GIC. :drool:

Is there a point of contact for Emil? Others may be interested in commissioning a custom or just make a purchase, jus sayin?

Is there a point of contact for Emil? Others may be interested in commissioning a custom or just make a purchase, jus sayin?

I am sure Emil will love to hear from you.

sandjcraft@yahoo.com

Mention Big Dave and I am sure he will not hang up to quickly!!

The hand crafted ukes are stunning and sound so sweet. The prices are so incredible I can not say them here as it will cause a riot. On other threads you will see the same enthusiasm for his work and prices. Even complaints from other builders about his price point.

I better get an order in for a Super Pineapple Tenor before the Tsunami hits.

As the store website is in perpetual disarray here is the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Creations/109769905728547

as I mentioned above they are always sold out or have minimal stock in hand.

Lovely photos! Welcome to UU and happy strumming with all your new beauties!!

Awesome thread ss. I bought a beautiful concert spalted mango pineapple from Emil several years ago (for my daughter). Has a sweet, open tone and fantastic volume. Totally love his ukes!

Awesome thread ss. I bought a beautiful concert spalted mango pineapple from Emil several years ago (for my daughter). Has a sweet, open tone and fantastic volume. Totally love his ukes!
Aloha Jon, Ive wondered if you still had it, as you go through a lot of ukes... I guess this says something if you kept it all these years :)

Top Bottom