How active are you?

Rllink

Reaction score
I just applied for Medicare, and I will start getting it in June. I've been blessed with good health. I say blessed, but I've been working at it my whole life as well. My thirty year career required me to meet physical requirements every year. After that, I worked at an aquatic center supervising and training lifeguards. Now I don't have a job anymore but I continue to run regularly, swim once in a while, and ride a bicycle to run errands. It is just part of my life. How about the rest of you? Anyone taking time out from playing their ukulele to keep is shape?

Not nearly as often as I should. I had a very active career, but have found I've become quite sedentary during retirement. I need to do something about that....

Being a computer serf, my job requires me to sit at a desk for long hours every day, and as I approach the half-century mark I can definitely see that it has taken its toll! When I play I try to stand rather than sit when I can, but additionally I always make time every week for hiking and yoga as well. And I walk, rather than drive, whenever I can... but I'd still like to get just a bit more active and have a bit less sitting in my life. I really do believe that sitting is killing us!

I've been an IT widget for the last 25 years.

Mainly sedentary as far as work commuting and life in general.

However i did do about 5 years of martial arts in my late 30s

And later on I was a barefoot runner for about 3 years in my late 40s including a full marathon and several races.

Now at 53 I'm almost one year past a prostatectomy that removed my cancer but left me incontinent, with ED and without the motivation to rush through running etc.

However up to the brutal winter I was walking up to 5 miles at a steady but highly enjoyable pace with my 14 year old dog skip. Logging a steady 35 miles a week. Took a break for the Nasty winter new I'm back to walking skip and my sons two dogs a mile. Day and going with skip for longer walks.

At 53 I have aches from my feet through my groin, back, a touch of carpal tunnel and headaches from diabetes II

It's been a sobering year emotionally and physically so while I've lost a lot of the motivation and energy I've come to enjoy pain free times and seeing the dogs happy with our mutual affection. As for family life we are now enjoying our 5 day old beautiful first grandson who lives downstairs with my son and his new family. Having a newborn is a ray of sunshine in my life along with the 3 dogs and music.

Marriage after cancer is tough when it was not solid to begin with. So emotionally we are more like roommates

But life is what it is and pain free time and the love of music as well as a good long walk keep me going and even make me smile now and then.

Last edited:
Exercise these days is limited to occasional walks, cutting the grass, some household fix-it and that's about it. The $@&#%€ arthitis makes some things more miserable than others, but can't really complain. I still have it better than many of my veteran brothers.

Have been diet-conscious for a long time (darned little anything with preservatives, very limited fried stuff, etc.) and that led to a 45-pound weight loss a few years ago. Keeping the weight off helps the joints and prolonging the time before metal must replace bones.

If one enjoys the exercising, go for it.

Been in the IT field for decades, and overweight for even longer. A few years back, I decided that 40 years on diets was probably enough of a test case, so I changed my focus. I try and eat better and more sparingly, to mixed results.

But I do walk a lot - almost always more than 100 miles a month. It's a constant part of my routine, and it seems like even this limited activity has kept me pretty healthy and mobile. Not quite like it was 30 years ago, but I have the advantage of never having been very athletic, so I am probably in as good shape now as I have been most of my life.

I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon pretty much every year for the past 5 years, so I guess I am doing OK.

And what SteveZ said -

If one enjoys the exercising, go for it.

30 years ago, a friend of mine told me "The best reason to exercise today is because if you don't, it's that much easier to not exercise tomorrow". So I go on my walks with my podcasts (and sometimes my uke) and enjoy myself.

I had very physical jobs for 20 years, then a couple of very sedentary jobs for the last 20 years. No amount of home based exercise was going to keep up so I joined a gym (actually the Y) 2 months ago. My goal was to spend five one hour visits there per week, but I've been averaging 9 or 10 one hour+ visits per week. I've noticed a huge improvement in my stamina and endurance, a modest change in my weight, and I sleep better (though that wasn't a huge issue before). I'm 57, a cancer survivor, with a tendency to overeat, and I want to outlive my forebears. To my surprise, the gym routine hasn't been drudgery at all, it's very enjoyable.

I believe we evolved to be way more active than we are and to let that decline is to risk an early death.

I just applied for Medicare, and I will start getting it in June. I've been blessed with good health. I say blessed, but I've been working at it my whole life as well. My thirty year career required me to meet physical requirements every year. After that, I worked at an aquatic center supervising and training lifeguards. Now I don't have a job anymore but I continue to run regularly, swim once in a while, and ride a bicycle to run errands. It is just part of my life. How about the rest of you? Anyone taking time out from playing their ukulele to keep is shape?

I work out at least 3 or 4 times a week.

I have become a lazy slug and need to get active again. Most of my life I've been very active, and I have ridden well over 100 bicycling century rides (100 miles) and a few double centuries. I used to belong to a gym and work out regularly as well as work out at home. About 6 years ago I got a job that involved a really long commute and it left me without time for anything but working and getting to and from work. For the last year or so I've been working from home and only going to an office with a really long commute one day a week so I don't have any excuses but I've gotten out of the habit. I really need to get over this as I feel so much better when I am active. At this point my big physical activity is walking the dogs or playing with the dogs.

I've been retired since 1999. I have kept myself active. Golf, walking the course, stand up paddle boarding and a gym membership. I walked away from golf, burn out I think and have increased my sup and gym time. I'm at the gym at least 4 days a week and walk with my dog, approx. 5 days a week. I stay pretty active, I believe a moving target is harder to hit. LOL

My wife and I walk about two miles six days a week.

We were also avid cyclists for many years, but we quit three or four years ago because of some really goofy (hot) weather and never got started again. We rode a Santana Tandem and did Yellowstone and all over Puget Sound and the California Redwoods and Wine Country and other nearby places. We're gonna start again one of these days . . .

I also lift weights twice a week in my garage. It helps to smooth out the wrinkles. :eek:ld:

I worked in retail for 15 years. Never had a need to exercise as the job kept me in shape. During that time I went back and completed two degrees. That led me to my current dream job, but, I get little to no exercise now compared to my former retail work life.

I took up kick scooting three years ago and love it. I am active on a forum and and a contributing editor to a website devoted to this sport. If you are interested, the founder of the website, Karen, has put together a pretty good introductory video:

http://www.letskickscoot.com/home/articles/default.cfm

I live with crappy weather for four months of the year, so a Planet Fitness membership is great for me. For $20 bucks a month they are open 24 hours. I get free haircuts, use of hydromassage beds, and hydromassage chairs and a cool red light spectrum machine in addition to the exercise equipment. It is also good across the country, so I can use it when I travel. I like their 30 minute workout system. I even used the showers there this winter when our pipes froze and burst and we had no running water for a month.

Last edited:
Iam working towards the eleventh anniversary of my sixth birthday. The two most salient events in my life occurred before I was a year old. Iwas born BiPolar. I contracted Polio as an infant. Neither condition was immediately apparent. For the Polio aspect of things this was not discovered for about a year. I never learned to walk! I have worn a leg brace for as long as I can remember. Post-Polio issues are such that one has a history of neurological issues, twisted growth patterns, - no two symmetrical bones in my body are the same length; This led to a life of chronic pain issues. I fall down at least three times a week as a baseline. To top it off I have Post-Polio Syndrome - a recurrence of initial Polio issues later in life. PBD for me is genetic. For those of you unfamiliar with this condition it means you are clinically insane, I prefer the term Crazy. Iam either Manic - highly active, 2-3 hours of sleep a night or Depressed, which is to say unmotivated and sleeping 16 to 20 hours a day. This was diagnosed at age 52 after about six years of trying to find out why I had sleep issues that forced me to retire from the working world at age 49.

Sorry for the long introduction. Iwas mainstreamed at a young age and allowed to do things on my own. I had over 500 PT visits before age of 12. Iam as active as I can possibly be. Like a bear I estivate in the winter and am extremely active in the warm, non-icy, summer weather. As a young person I had varsity letters in four sports, baseball, swimming, volleyball and soccer. I walked to school in High School almost every day. I was among the originators of disabled rowing on the planet, participating as a competitor, trainer and coach. The 34th Bayada Regatta is this August 15th in Philadelphia. I stopped sculling at a relatively early age because of Post-Polio Syndrome worries. - A self-fulfilling Prophecy!

I had to stop swimming about six years ago. Torn rotator cuff from three unfortunate falls in one week meant I couldn't climb out of the water! I have made arrangements with the Drayer Physical Therapy people to use their facilities as a gym. I schedule myself to 5 workouts a week but am happy if I can get in three sessions. When Iam a patient they only allow three sessions a week anyway. I have developed three routines, 15 minute, ~ 45 minute and one hour+ to suit my moods or daily pain/health issues. My routines are designed to allow the maximum amount of Activities of Daily Living, ADL.

I camp and work festivals as a performer and volunteer. This means I will typically walk up to five miles a day, conditions permitting. "Hiking" on the Appalachian Trail or working a festival on crutches is something that doesn't trouble me at all. When I ultimately require a wheel chair it will have Pirelli racing tires. Pain is something you learn to deal with. I don't smile much; but I laugh a lot! One last thing: When Iam constrained from other activities ie sitting in a chair in front of a computer or such like I Stand up for at least twenty seconds every half hour or so. You don't have to move around even. It actually has many beneficial effects.

I do not consider myself an "active" person; but I try to be one!

Last edited:
About the time of my 40th birthady I was getting somewhat disgusted with my inactivity, so over a period I established a routine of jogging, cycling and swimming. The jogging and swimming are no longer available options but I'm trying to maintain the cycling along with some walking. But not trying hard enough.

IamNoMan, you are an inspiration.

I'm a student and my level of activity is zero. I only jog with a friend of mine when she's around (she rarely is,she works out of town). I ****ing hate exercise and I'd rather be morbid and happy than skinny and miserable.

Just turned 60. Been bicycling about 100 mile a week for the past 15 years...

Being a computer serf, my job requires me to sit at a desk for long hours every day, and as I approach the half-century mark I can definitely see that it has taken its toll! When I play I try to stand rather than sit when I can, but additionally I always make time every week for hiking and yoga as well. And I walk, rather than drive, whenever I can... but I'd still like to get just a bit more active and have a bit less sitting in my life. I really do believe that sitting is killing us!

Right ,sorry, just a quick doubletake there ...sitting ....panic over. I'm clear on that now.

Top Bottom