WTB: I've been bitten by the baritone uke bug! :-)

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
If you have a bari you're interested in selling, please PM me. I may be open to trades as well. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
When the bug bit me, I got a Kala KA-BE from HMS. Sweet instrument and great deal.

Don't know your budget, but my Kamaka Baritone is outstanding. Strung with Southcoast LL-RW's (one wound string), low g. It's probably my favorite ukulele.

You should have no trouble finding a baritone, lots of inexpensive ones out there. If you want to just buy one outright.

Thanks for the tip re: the Kala -- I had a solid Acacia tenor and loved it! I also have another Kala tenor model that I really like -- Kalas are definitely on my list! :) I love HMS, too!

When the bug bit me, I got a Kala KA-BE from HMS. Sweet instrument and great deal.

Yes, planning to buy one outright and not go custom with an order -- can't afford it. I'd love a Mya-Moe bari to be a sister to my Mya-Moe tenor, but not gonna happen. :-( I am sure the right bari is out there for me, tho! Thanks for chiming in! :) Happy strummings!

You should have no trouble finding a baritone, lots of inexpensive ones out there. If you want to just buy one outright.

I would bet that your uke sounds amazing!!! I've never played a Kamaka but know that they're incredible instruments! I don't think one would be in my budget -- assuming they're 1k plus? I'd love to try the Southcoast strings out, too, at some point! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! :)

Don't know your budget, but my Kamaka Baritone is outstanding. Strung with Southcoast LL-RW's (one wound string), low g. It's probably my favorite ukulele.

Not sure of your budget, but check out the Pono Mango Baritone at HMS. Sounds fantastic and it's $399!

I got a Vega for under $150. Keep thinking of upgrading, but haven't found one that was that much better. Some were prettier and many cost more.

I have a Pono MB that I bought from another UU member. It's a wonderful baritone: solid mahogany, easy playability, adjustable truss rod. Although I got it used, I think the $399 price for a new one from HMS is a bargain. I haven't played the mango model, but I bet it's sweet too. The adjustable truss rod is a really nice feature.

I have a vintage Giannini 1970's baritone that I really love. Got it from Jake at Antebellum Instruments. Got it for under $200 which is a smoking deal. I would never part with it. I know MIM has a bunch of Ohana's for very reasonable prices. For whatever reason, it seems you can get decent baritones for really decent prices. I like that you can do all kinds of different tunings too; very versatile.

Yes, planning to buy one outright and not go custom with an order -- can't afford it. I'd love a Mya-Moe bari to be a sister to my Mya-Moe tenor, but not gonna happen. :-( I am sure the right bari is out there for me, tho! Thanks for chiming in! :) Happy strummings!

Hi, i was addicted too to baritone few months ago & got my first SonnyD baritone from Ryan at UU marketplace, another one on Mya-moe scheduled waiting list, patiently wait while i am enjoying the 32" koa baritone. There are some nice baritones for sale on fleamarket, just few rows below your post recently, a nice brand new honduran mahogany custom baritone & another Mya moe bearclaw spruce+walnut baritone which i think they are both fantastic! Good luck on your baritone journey!

I have a Pono Mango Deluxe High gloss and I don't think there is a better baritone made. It really is that good. Get a Pono Baritone, they really have that size down. Great neck, great sound, and a truss-rod to boot.

I have a Pono Mango Deluxe High gloss and I don't think there is a better baritone made. It really is that good. Get a Pono Baritone, they really have that size down. Great neck, great sound, and a truss-rod to boot.

Do you think the upgrade to the Deluxe Pono gets you a better sound or is it purely cosmetic? I seem to hear a more woody response out of the non gloss but this only from videos. Did you have a chance to play both the deluxe and non-deluxe mango?

Hi, everyone! I'm so happy and grateful to have all of your feedback; thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts!!! I love this community!!! Well, so Ukulele Eddie's suggestion to try a Pono mango bari resonated with me; this was as I recall Eugene Ukulele having had (or maybe still has?) a mango instrument that I loved and adored. I've never had a mango ukulele, but I have had instruments made from Koa, Acacia, Mahogany, and Spruce. I checked out HMS and they had both the satin and deluxe models available in the store; I chose to go with the regular/satin finish. I am SO EXCITED! Here is a video of Corey Fujimoto playing the Pono MGB (Mango Baritone): https://vimeo.com/97069535

Thanks so much to all of you, again, for reaching out -- Happy Strummings!!! :)

Top Bottom