Kanile'a, Pono or Kremona Tenor?

vetcvm

Reaction score
Hi Guys, havn't posted for ages but here i am once more looking for a change/upgrade to my Uke. at the moment i have 2 ukes (Anuenue papa3 electric tenor low G, solid walnut handcrafted soprano), i'm thinking of selling both and get a slightly better one.

i was looking into the "solid" "warm" "tenor" options at a reasonable price and narrowed it down those 3 brands: Kanile'a, Pono and Kremona, i think i'm going to go for mahogany but would consider Mango if warm enough, would also like to add a passive pickup, have a "fishman" at the moment which sounds great but was thinking of "Shadow" although i'm not sure if it's as good. budget would be around 350£ (550$).

any help and opinions would be appreciated, also open to other brands in same price range.

Thanks

David

It is very hard to beat Pono in that price range. You will not get a Kanilea in mahogany nor for your price range. Seriously look at the new Pono MTD 2, it has a cedar top, mahogany back amd sides, gloss finish and radius fret board. A LOT of bang for the buck,: warmth with sustain and articulation due to the wood types.

I assume that the OP meant Kanilea's Chinese imported "Islander" line. Anyway, with 500$ to spend, I'd go for a Pono - or maybe wait until the new KoAloha Opio Tenors come out. They're made of Sapele which is similar to Mahogany, from what I understand.

Not sure where you live, but it sounds like in Europe...for your budget and where you live, Id buy used in the marketplace or locally if you are in europe...you get a higher end ukulele for a better price and not pay the taxes...

Not sure where you live, but it sounds like in Europe...for your budget and where you live, Id buy used in the marketplace or locally if you are in europe...you get a higher end ukulele for a better price and not pay the taxes...

This is absolutely great advice. So true.

I'd buy a Pono over a Kanilea any day of the week (or even on a weekend!). Never heard of the other brand that you mention (meaning that, if you adore it, fabulous; but, if you ever resell it, get ready for a jarring hit).

Thanks for the advice, i absolutely agree as i'm living in the UK i would prefer to buy something from Europe to avoid taxes.
I do understand the point for the kremona, it might be difficult to sell it in the future if i would decide to, that's something to think about.

The Mele sounds Great, probably better than the 3 other options, found only one dealer in the UK and it's probably slightly over my budget but i'm going to think about it i'm in no rush, if someone knows an online store in Europe that sells it would be happy to get a link.

Regarding Kanilea i was indeed reffering to the "islander" line which is made in china but definitely good quality compare to other made in china ukes, Pono is made in an Island in Indonesia, Kremona is a Bulgarian guitar company. i assume Mele is made in Hawaii?

would always go for second hand if i find one locally or for a good price elsewhere but so far no luck there.

Hey David, two other alternatives to what has already been suggested are the new KoAloha Opio tenor (SUS may be getting them in sooner or later, around $400) or a Cocobolo tenor from Cocobolo Ukuleles (you can find him here as cocoboloukuleles or email at cocoboloukuleles@gmail.com, around $400 as well). Although KoAloha is more well-renowned, I've only heard good things about Kevin (cocoboloukuleles) and his work. Both fit the bill in terms of your price range and specifications. If I were you, I'd take the chance with Kevin and see if you can get a factory second from him for cheap!

KoAloha Opio tenor is made of solid sapele wood, and is considered equivalent to its koa counterpart even though it is less than half as much.

Cocobolo tenor is "(17 3/32" scale)(Fingerboard joins body at 13th fret to center the bridge in the sweet spot of the lower bout),"

"Tenor $399

We offer the following upgrades:

Peghed geared tuners: $75
(Grover geared tuners are standard)
Handmade cocobolo rosette: $50
Low G Aquila strings: $10
Strap button $10
Abalone, white mother of pearl, or cocobolo sapwood fretboard top markers $10
(Abalone side markers are standard)

All of our ukuleles come standard with a 12" radius fingerboard.

Shipping to the US costs $20 and normally takes 10-12 days or so. We ship worldwide. Please ask for a quote.

You can add a Lanikai case and an in-case humidifier to your purchase for $25. They will ship separately and cost me over $50, but I like to know that our ukuleles are being taken care of properly, so it is worth the investment."

I'm not a salesman for either one, but I hope this helps you out!

Hi Guys, havn't posted for ages but here i am once more looking for a change/upgrade to my Uke. at the moment i have 2 ukes (Anuenue papa3 electric tenor low G, solid walnut handcrafted soprano), i'm thinking of selling both and get a slightly better one.

i was looking into the "solid" "warm" "tenor" options at a reasonable price and narrowed it down those 3 brands: Kanile'a, Pono and Kremona, i think i'm going to go for mahogany but would consider Mango if warm enough, would also like to add a passive pickup, have a "fishman" at the moment which sounds great but was thinking of "Shadow" although i'm not sure if it's as good. budget would be around 350£ (550$).

any help and opinions would be appreciated, also open to other brands in same price range.

Thanks

David

Top Bottom