Thinking about ordering my first custom

I have had two ukuleles built for me. I ended up getting rid of the first, in disgust. It was a great ukulele. I was disgusted with myself, because I had ordered what I thought I would like in the future, based partly on what I heard and read here. I waited a few years (what I should have done the first time around) and had a second one made by a different builder. I had it made, knowing what I wanted. I'm very happy with it.

2 cents:

I think, if you need to ask advice about how to order your custom, you're jumping the gun. Try everything out there. If you have to buy a few instruments along the way to see if you like this feature or that, do it. Then play the heck out of them. Maybe you don't want that slotted headstock or the 1 3/8" nut width. Perhaps you want a concert rather than a tenor, or maybe you hate the radiused fretboard. Don't order a custom until you are sure. There are great ukuleles out there that aren't custom-made, with every option you might think you want.

We are all constantly evolving as players (and as people). What one likes and wants changes over time. I've been playing instruments for 55 years, and I haven't reached the point where what I like is fixed.

I finally decided to jump in here with a story of my experience (after avoiding it due to my not so well received post on another recent custom thread). I ordered a custom uke from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam after playing about six months because I wanted a certain look, a gloss black mandolele style that cost $460 and took about 3 months (after ordering a plain mahogany for $320 that I'm selling). I had accumulated about eight lower end ukes, also for look more than sound. Then I ordered a second custom from Bruce, because he was the most responsive and by far the least expensive when I was quarrying a few builders about a gypsy jazz style uke. It cost $780 and took about 5 months, where everyone one else was $1200 and up and well over a year.

I like the sound and feel of the mandolele, good projection and sustain. The gypsy jazz came out beautifully, but it does not have the projection or sustain I was hoping for, even many months later, though over-all it's not bad for the money. I'm now down to the four ukes I like the most (see my signature).

Which brings me to the reason I decided to chime in here. Last night I was cruising through eBay looking at tenor ukuleles and came across a couple of listings from Bruce Wei Arts for all solid acacia koa gypsy style ukes for $250 and $490 (with preamp), that I know if I saw at the time I was looking at a custom gypsy, I would have bought one and not ordered a custom.

After all is said and done, I can tell you my best uke for sound and feel is a $360 Kala solid cedar top, acacia koa cutaway with electronics. I don't want to cast any doubts on custom builders, this just my story and experience.

I actually like what stevepetergal said, good advice (though I tend to succumb to looks):

I think, if you need to ask advice about how to order your custom, you're jumping the gun. Try everything out there. If you have to buy a few instruments along the way to see if you like this feature or that, do it. Then play the heck out of them. Maybe you don't want that slotted headstock or the 1 3/8" nut width. Perhaps you want a concert rather than a tenor, or maybe you hate the radiused fretboard. Don't order a custom until you are sure. There are great ukuleles out there that aren't custom-made, with every option you might think you want.

Last edited:
We are all constantly evolving as players (and as people). What one likes and wants changes over time. I've been playing instruments for 55 years, and I haven't reached the point where what I like is fixed.

This is so well-said, and definitely applies to my earlier post about how what I thought I wanted when I ordered my custom turned out not to be the case at all. In fact - I think this is worth of its own topic, which I'm going to start elsewhere so as not to hijack this thread.

I can chime in with my 2 cents worth because I jumped the gun and ordered a custom uke about 2 years before I should have. I asked for advice from people who had never heard or seen me play, I didn't do enough research, and jumped at a luthier who was hot at the time, and very inexpensive, comparatively. And on the other end of the country.
What I got for my novice trouble was sheer disappointment. It was a waste of money, and time. There were so many basic flaws that were pointed out to me that it was ridiculous. I'm not blaming the luthier totally, he did do some sloppy work, but most of the fault lies with me and my lack of experience. It sounded no better than my $300 Kala, and didn't look as good. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait, and research a lot more.
Now, I'm snakebitten. If I ever attempt it again, I'll go with Donna LoPrinzi, because I know her, she's completely honest, I've seen and played several of her ukes, and she lives closeby. I can imagine the final product being better than what I ask for, instead of well below my expectations.

Very good points, Nickie. I've identified two builders based on their reputation, but I've only been able to play one of the builder's instruments. The other builder was selected by reputation and by some of the musicians who use their instruments. It's a gamble, I know. I did email the builder who's uke I was able to play and he returned my email with some questions for me and I responded promptly, but I haven't heard back from him yet so I don't know what the deal is with him. I hope to hear from him soon, otherwise, I might have to look at an alternative builder.

Good questions before we start the build

Very good points, Nickie. I've identified two builders based on their reputation, but I've only been able to play one of the builder's instruments. The other builder was selected by reputation and by some of the musicians who use their instruments. It's a gamble, I know. I did email the builder who's uke I was able to play and he returned my email with some questions for me and I responded promptly, but I haven't heard back from him yet so I don't know what the deal is with him. I hope to hear from him soon, otherwise, I might have to look at an alternative builder.

I came across a list of questions to ask the luthier that I think could be helpful. Anyone have anything to add:

1. I would ask open questions about how often they communicate with their clients.

2. I would ask about wait time, how many builds they currently have in the cue, if they are currently behind.

3. Are they willing to provide some pictures of the build in progress? Are sound bites available?

4. Ask for references from clients, then follow up and contact those clients and ask questions about their experience.

5. What is normal for the luthier in terms of communications and delivery schedule (stated and actual).

6. What are your desired goals in terms of playability and tone?

7. Is there anyone in my area who owns one of your instruments that I might try?

8. Is there a trial period and/or what is your warranty?

9. What do we need to do to set the price?

Thanks!

MDL,

I am not sure if you necessarily need to ask all those questions. Many of them should be answered already through their website, or already answered through conversation.

Also, something to consider...I don't know of anyone that likes to be micromanaged, and I would be careful not to come on too agressive with your potential builder. I am not saying you don't have legitimate concerns, I would just be mindful, especially your questions about timing of communication - 1, 2, 5 all seem to ask the same thing.

another way to asking question 3 without sounding pushy would be "is there a way I can be kept in the loop during the build process?" I personally never had to ask that question - Mya moe has the uke tracker, covered bridge used Facebook, and Les stansell just emailed me consistently.

Question 4 seems a little pushy to me, either its on their website or you should be able to contact people directly by googling or searching the forums here.

Question 6 is a great conversation to have on the phone - I believe in one to one conversation when it comes to these kind of things outside of email if possible.

Question 7 might have some issues with privacy, I don't think a builder should be providing you with contact info of other owners, that should be something you research on your own.

Question 8 and 9 are solid, and if not answered on website, should be discussed on phone.

Recstar24,

Thanks for your input. These were questions that I came across by accident and I thought some of them were pretty good, but I get it that it's not the Spanish Inquisition. I also understand that the luthier has far more experience in the build process than I do, so I'm really open to their suggestions. Thanks for your 2-cents worth, I appreciate it!

Top Bottom