Is this a KoAloha Thinline Concert?

kiwiSouthPaw

Reaction score
Just picked this up.

The body seems thinner than "normal". Couple of pictures compared to my Covered Bridge Concert.

Is this a KoAloha Thinline Concert?

IMG_6627_1.jpgIMG_6628_1.jpg

Koaloha does not make a slim line concert, only tenor. That being said they do have a shallow body. Just measured my Koaloha concert at the back seam and it is 2-3/8" deep.

Thanks DownUpDave. Might be me just used to the oversized CB concert. Let me get the measuring tape out.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?78019-NUD-KoAloha-Slimline-Concert

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...FS-KoAloha-Concert-Sllimline-with-Misi-Pickup

I believe KoAloha has made more than just this one; seems as though I recall others mentioning them, too, since April 2014 (but I could be wrong). KoAloha does a lot of custom stuff these days.

I have no idea if yours is slimline or not, OP; perhaps not. Typically, the slimlines have Baggs pickups pre-installed, but perhaps not always as they are custom order and it seems the 2nd link above has one without a pickup. I think a measurement of the KoAloha's depth (I cannot tell which you measured--it or the CB--in your numbers below) is in order. My slimline tenor KoAloha is 1 7/8" body depth.

Last edited:
They have made slimline concerts in the past, however I don't believe they ever made the regular model line-up like the tenors with factory installed pick-ups.

This one comes with (What I was told was) factory installed pickup (Not sure how to tell you which brand it is).

It's marked as a factory second (diagonal black sharpy mark bottom right of the label).

The width at the back seam was well over 2", I've got very little experience with KoAloha or concert sizes in general, it just seemed very slim compared to my CB but I think the reality is that the CB is quite big for the concert size which actually suits me just fine.

Least I can cross "owned island made" off my list now. :)

This one comes with (What I was told was) factory installed pickup (Not sure how to tell you which brand it is).

It's marked as a factory second (diagonal black sharpy mark bottom right of the label).

The width at the back seam was well over 2", I've got very little experience with KoAloha or concert sizes in general, it just seemed very slim compared to my CB but I think the reality is that the CB is quite big for the concert size which actually suits me just fine.

Least I can cross "owned island made" off my list now. :)

I have always admired Covered Bridge ukuleles. How does the Koaloha concert compare to your CB concert?

Other than being in possession of both of them at the moment I'm probably not the most qualified to give a fair comparsion.
(I'm pretty new to the Ukulele and still getting to terms with all the jargon.)

But.. For me the CB wins the head-to-head, probably because of the "Mahogany versus Koa" matchup, the CB feels "warmer". Size wise I prefer the bigger concert size of the CB (The KoAloha feels much lighter in weight, the thinner body probably contributes to that. Interestingly it doesnt seem to reduce the volume noticeably). I've found Tenors a bit big and most concerts a shade small so the CB size works.

Both are great Ukulele's, just my novice personal preference I guess.

They definitely made slimline concerts - coolkayaker1's links show the one I had. It was advertised as " ...this is a NON Production Custom Concert Slimline model.... one of a kind... Only Slim Concert in the WORLD."

The comparison shots with a mahalo soprano and my Kanile'a concert show the difference. It also was shorter in length and narrower in fretboard than my Kanile'a. It also came with Misi pickup.

Nice uke, just wasn't me.

I'm positive it's not a slimline based off DownUnderDave's measurement comparison.

There's at least one KoAloha Concert in my local uke group. I'll put them side by side in the next group meet for comparison.

Thanks for all the great comments. This community is amazing!

Top Bottom