Buying a Tenor: Cordoba vs Kala vs ?? (on Amazon - under 250)

Which Ukulele should I get?

• Cordoba 20TM-CE

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Kala KA-TEME3

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Cordoba 23T-CE

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other (specified in post)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soulfood2go

Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on which Tenor I should get (~$250 on Amazon)??

I got a bunch of Amazon gift cards and I want to purchase a new Electric Acoustic tenor ukulele. While I'd MUCH rather play instruments before buying, that's just not an option right now. I have about $200 on Amazon and can put another $50 on top of that.

I'm considering between (in order of how pretty I think they are):

* Kala KA-TEME3 - Figured mahogany body, black binding, mahogany neck, Rosewood fingerboard, 19 frets, dot inlays, 17" scale Rosewood bridge, die cast chrome tuning machines, Kala EQ system with built-in tuner.

* Cordoba 23T-CE - Solid Ovangkol tops, Ovangkol back and sides, Rosewood bridge and fingerboard Satin (matte) finish, 2Band EQ.

* Cordoba 20TM-CE - Solid Mahogany top, Mahogany back and sides, Rosewood bridge and fingerboard, soft cutaway with 2Band EQ Natural satin finish.

* **Other??** - I'm open to others as well (Oscar Schmidt? Lanikai? etc) but they'd just need to be on Amazon.

I'm looking to order in the next couple of days. I'm chomping at the bit to get one, but I'm fine sending it back and getting something else if there are any issues with it. I just want to be sure I get something that's good quality, as my last 2 super-cheap sopranos both had the bridge lift up on me.

I'll also add that my husband, who works on guitars, will be able to set it up for me once it comes.

*Any suggestions???*

Last edited:
I like the look of the Kala best, then the Cordoba 23T-CE (both of which only have 1 in stock of each) and I like the look of the Cordoba 20TM-CE the least.

I'm looking to order in the next couple of days. I'm chomping at the bit to get one, but I'm fine sending it back and getting something else if there are any issues with it. I just want to be sure I get something that's good quality, as my last 2 super-cheap sopranos both had the bridge lift up on me.

I'll also add that my husband, who works on guitars, is able to set it up once it comes.

The first uke I bought was a Kala KA-T. It still sounds and plays great 2 yrs later, and holds it's own against the other 16+ ukes I've acquired since then. I'm not motivated to own a Cordoba uke. They just dont move me, but dont let my opinion stop you.

Having said that, I'd get the Kala KA-TEME3, and use the rest of the money for a case ($40-50) like a Uke Crazy canvas covered polyfoam type, so you have it from the start and can take the uke out of the house without worrying about it getting banged up when you go to your local meetup or a friend's house to jam.

If you can buy both from AMAZON proper instead of 3rd-party sellers, all the better, and with PRIME free 2-day shipping, even better. WHY? In the event that the instrument sent to you is a bad one or damaged from the factory, returns are MUCH MUCH easier if AMAZON is the seller and not some place like 'Lyin Joe's Fly-By-Night Music-Shtuffs-an-Fishing-Tackle'...

If yer hubby can do the setup, then you can buy any of these Asian-sweatshop-factory-made instruments with confidence, knowing that the instrument can be adjusted to your exact needs. :)

Much as I like Kala's uke (I am a happy owner of one), I would prefer a solid top over a laminate for its better sound. And I haven't heard any bad things of Cordoba. Mahogany is a more traditional and common choice over ovangkol, but if you prefer the look of ovangkol I guess Cordoba 23T-CE is your pick.

My very humble opinion is that you're prob paying $90 or more premium for electric option. In your price range that's substantial. You'd probably be better served buying acoustic and adding a pickup later. The kala cedar top mentioned above is a great choice. I'm very pleased with mine. This kala solid mahogany also looks like a good buy.
http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-SMHT-...UTF8&qid=1430833583&sr=8-3&keywords=Kala+smht

My very humble opinion is that you're prob paying $90 or more premium for electric option. In your price range that's substantial. You'd probably be better served buying acoustic and adding a pickup later. The kala cedar top mentioned above is a great choice. I'm very pleased with mine. This kala solid mahogany also looks like a good buy.
http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-SMHT-...UTF8&qid=1430833583&sr=8-3&keywords=Kala+smht

I agree. The electrics on those ukes aren't all that great, from what I've heard. (No personal experience here!) I have played some of the lower end Kalas and Cordobas in person, and the Cordoba solid mahogany top 20TM is a great-sounding uke. http://www.amazon.com/Cordoba-Guitars-20TM-Ukulele-Tenor/dp/B0041OT5OI I haven't played the Kala with the solid cedar top, but that gets solid reviews.

Loved my Cordoba 20TM-CE. With low g tuning and wound 3 and 4, I loved its deep rich sound. Comes with a plastic nut and saddle and the tuners are just ok. Electronics, fit, finish, and intonation on mine were very good. It's also relatively light. Aquila strings that it came with made it sound very "brash" and unpleasant to my ears. I was going to install a bone nut and saddle and grover geared tuners, but I gave it to my granddaughter.

Has anyone played the Cordoba 23T-CE? On paper, it seems like a better equipped uke than the 20TM-CE (bone nut and saddle better tuners, binding) for just a little more money. Then again, I've never played an ovangkol uke, and a lot of people dig the 20TM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom