what can you tell me about pono

I am looking to sell a PONO OOO acoustic guitar with case if anyone is interested. Please PM me if you are.

Last week I received my Pono pro classic AT 5 that has radius board. (see link below) It's very comfortable to play despite people say Pono is like holding a baseball bat. I have small hand yet I have no issue with the neck.
It has a very rich and deep guitar like sound (I use Fremont wound Low G with Southcoast for the rest) . Craftsmanship and the glossy finish are as good as my expensive Hawaii K-Brand. I have absolutely no complain on the quality . It sings beautifully , I just can't put it down. I would sleep with it if I could. Yes the Pono really sings.

The only things I don't like is the weight - it's a lot heavier than my old Kala and super heavy comparing to the Hawaii K-brand. If you are not looking for Tenor size , weight may not be an issue.
One suggestion - buy PONO at Hawaii Music Supply (Theukulelesite). They do great set-up . Shipping is free if you order $400U.S. (assuming you live in the U.S.) I will not buy Pono from any dealer other than HMS. I know you will get the same advice from most of the members on this forum. HMS has the most Pono selection because the owner's father own the Pono factory.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-market/pono-at-5-acacia-pro-classic-tenor-w-case.html

Ponos are foreign made Ko'olaus,the latter is owned by the Kitakis family...Andrew of HMS is a Kitakis...the factory production is controlled by Ko'olau, but not owned 100% outright by the family as I understand it...even if all they make are Pono instruments...purely a technicality[foreign ownership is a whole different type of ballgame]. They might as well be owned by Mr. Kitakis as production and quality control is ensured by him and his staff. The set up is done by HMS which is right next door to the Ko'olau factory. I really like the MCD and MTD models...Acacia is kewl...but the Mahogany instruments sounded better to me, imho.

Well, I had been an enthusiastic purchaser of a Pono; and I had expressed some thoughts earlier in this thread. I purchased a baritone Pono a few weeks ago. You can see my results in the "Oh No, Pono!" thread also posted here. You will want to read my post there, as I was greatly disappointed; and I, regretfully, withdraw my earlier comments.
- Farp

Last edited:
Well, I had been an enthusiastic purchaser of a Pono; and I had expressed some thoughts earlier in this thread. I purchased a baritone Pono a few weeks ago. You can see my results in the "Oh No, Pono!" thread also posted here. You will want to read my post there, as I was greatly disappointed; and I, regretfully, withdraw my earlier comments.
- Farp

Yet you have not purchased anything direct from HMS...so many things could have happened between them tuning it and selling it and the time you purchased and received it from ebay, just saying. Your other thread was closed because you indirectly disparage a really good store that goes out of their way to ensure quality and happy customers. As long as you continue to be too cheap to buy from the source, expect to be disappointed. You get what you pay for, especially when you buy second hand stuff...BUYER BEWARE!

Yet you have not purchased anything direct from HMS...so many things could have happened between them tuning it and selling it and the time you purchased and received it from ebay, just saying. Your other thread was closed because you indirectly disparage a really good store that goes out of their way to ensure quality and happy customers. As long as you continue to be too cheap to buy from the source, expect to be disappointed. You get what you pay for, especially when you buy second hand stuff...BUYER BEWARE!

Why do you mention HMS? I certainly didn't. I have the highest regard for HMS, and their reputation on here is golden.

This thread is a slippery slope... I'm going to close it as well to be safe, remember the :rulez:

"I know there are those on UU who will boldly state there are dealers that send out only good quality ukuleles properly set up, yada, yada…; but I can tell you that at least one Pono slipped through the cracks, and that is 100% of my Pono purchases to date."

implied!

Ponos are finished at Ko'olau/HMS...They are great ukulele...and the service is top-notch! You are entitled to your opinion, but you are basing everything on something you purchased used, and you were not the original owner. HMS replaces damaged products...even to the point of unhappy purchaser returns...better to have a happy customer, always.

Last edited:
Top Bottom