Humidifier???

mmanalo

Reaction score
I just bought a KALA KA-ASMTEC and was wondering if I needed to get a humidifier for it?

depends on ur location, i c ur in san diego... so i wouldn't know. but if it gets hot yes. assuming u have a case, a humidifier wouldn't hurt.

depends on ur location, i c ur in san diego... so i wouldn't know. but if it gets hot yes. assuming u have a case, a humidifier wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I'm in San Diego and it does get dry during the summer which is almost here. And yes I will have a hardshell padded case when it arrives! Thanks for da help. What will be da best place to put the humidifier in da case?

im not sure... haha i don't have a case :) even though its really hot here. BUT!! i think u put the humidifier where the body of the uke is?? uhh... do u know where ur guna get a humidifier from?

Not sure...I'm just gonna shop around my local music shops around here in San Diego, and if I see none. I might make a home made one like Aldrine did, it's so decorative too! Was their a reason why you were asking where would I get my humidifier from?

I just use a guitar humidifier in my cases for my more high end ukes, even though I live in Hawaii and don't really need it. They cost just a few bucks. But i know MGM carries some that you can actually put inside the body of the uke itself. I have never been too keen on those, but I haven't tried one, and MGM says that it doesn't affect the sound.

You can make one - there is a Uke Minutes on it:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/11/uke-minutes-4-diy-ukulele-case-humidifier/

Also, you can find them online. I usually like looking on ebay or amazon.

Use weather.com to check the humidity in your area. If it's below 35% you should use a humidifier. If you travel with your uke you should bring one too since you never know what the weather might be like where you are going.

i live in vegas, and the air quaility here is so dry. i brought a guitar up from hawaii and moving from a humid to a dry place warped my guitar neck. I would definitely recommend a humidifier. I used to put a damp sponge in a ziploc bag and poke holes in it. and stuck it in the sound holes of each of my acoustic instruments. then i ended up buying one of these for the room.
419LeeC7TBL.jpg

i live in vegas, and the air quaility here is so dry. i brought a guitar up from hawaii and moving from a humid to a dry place warped my guitar neck. I would definitely recommend a humidifier. I used to put a damp sponge in a ziploc bag and poke holes in it. and stuck it in the sound holes of each of my acoustic instruments. then i ended up buying one of these for the room.
419LeeC7TBL.jpg

Now that's a big one!...lol

You can make one - there is a Uke Minutes on it:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/02/11/uke-minutes-4-diy-ukulele-case-humidifier/

Also, you can find them online. I usually like looking on ebay or amazon.

Use weather.com to check the humidity in your area. If it's below 35% you should use a humidifier. If you travel with your uke you should bring one too since you never know what the weather might be like where you are going.

LOL, Yea..I kinda mentioned that in my other post...I like the way he made it out of the candy dispenser...decorative!

Traveling shows with ukes all across USa in varying climates i can say humidifiers are a must in some areas. Now if you have had your ukulele for years and its had no problems then leave it as is because it has acclimated to your areas climate However ukes like 45% to 55% humidity and if they can be kept that way morethe better, i have seen fretboards shrink and bodys crack overnight when a ukulele accllimated to that RH region is taken to say Las vegas where Rh is 10% at times. Better safe than sorry...room humidifers are also great if you have many and want to display them if they are strong enough to keep the room constant.

i made a little video of how to make one out of a pill bottle.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sAlkTUPRkc
and the simple truth is you don't even need to drill holes in the top.. just leave the cap off.. thats right.. just get a pill bottle.. a sponge.. make it damp.. throw it in.. i have two in my case depending on the day.. it has worked like a charm.. and it lasts longer than some of the ones i have bought from the store! i have learned the HARD way on this.. keep it at 45-50!!!!!!!!!

just looked up the humidity in my city... well, let's say I almost need a dehumidifier^^ it's 94% and temperature around 40° (felt like 34°...)

oh, it says kapaa, HI, has 100% humidity, does that mean it's flooded???

just looked up the humidity in my city... well, let's say I almost need a dehumidifier^^ it's 94% and temperature around 40° (felt like 34°...)

oh, it says kapaa, HI, has 100% humidity, does that mean it's flooded???

LOL :biglaugh:

Traveling shows with ukes all across USa in varying climates i can say humidifiers are a must in some areas. Now if you have had your ukulele for years and its had no problems then leave it as is because it has acclimated to your areas climate However ukes like 45% to 55% humidity and if they can be kept that way morethe better, i have seen fretboards shrink and bodys crack overnight when a ukulele accllimated to that RH region is taken to say Las vegas where Rh is 10% at times. Better safe than sorry...room humidifers are also great if you have many and want to display them if they are strong enough to keep the room constant.

Hey Mike, Thanks for da tips! Also, thanks so much for da shipment...you can count on me to recommend your services to my buddies! I especially like the way it was packed as well! Thanks once again Mike!

yeah that's what I was afraid of. not being consistent with my rh. I have 2 ukes and 1 guitar displayed. I used to leave um in their cases but I wouldn't play them as much. one of my friends told me to let it dry and get used to the desert instead of allowing to reabsorb the moisture. I didn't wanna take that risk.

Top Bottom