"pretty" song suggestions

Hey Doug, just had a thought.... (I know :p). Something I have done in the past when I get to a similar place as what it sounds like you're in, is to flick through some old books of folk songs, especially the ones that move at slower tempos in the more "ballad" style. Try tabbing out the notes from some of that sheet music and you can make some really gorgeous discoveries. I remember I did it for 'The Water Is Wide', 'O My Love is Like A Red Red Rose' and a number of others and just fell in love with many old songs over again. Some of those olde-tyme melodies are as sweet as music gets, to me anyway. And yeah, pretty to the max. Cheers mate and thanks for the shout-out.

This is great advice. I think maybe it's time to buy a new book or two anyway. I am far from capable of site reading but given enough (a lot) of time I can work out songs from actual music notation. Where does one by old folk song books such as these? I have also thought about looking into buying some old sheet music that I see that some people around here collect. But I really wouldn't know where to start.

Top Bottom