Canoeing with ukulele - bad idea?

Janebug

Reaction score
My spouse does underwater metal detecting (no scuba, just down to 10 feet or less) and sometimes asks me to transport him in our canoe into areas where access from the land is a problem. Then he's in the water for a long time. I usually take a book. But now that I'm seriously practicing, I was wondering about whether I might take my uke and practice on the water. It sounds rather fun.

He's good at climbing back in the canoe and I've never had the canoe overturn, but still it's water ya know, and anything can happen. My uke is one of the less expensive models. What would happen to it if it went into the drink?

Unless it's just splashed or misted, I think it's pretty safe to say your uke would get ruined if it went into the drink. Another thing to keep in mind is that the salt (if you're at sea) and moisture can do damage over time.

But if you've never over-turned and it's not a super-expensive uke (and you have the means to replace it), then why not? Sounds a little kooky but that's one of the most fun parts of being a uke player -- we're all a bit kooky and that's how we like it!

If it went into the drink it would float for a little while..........fill up with water then sink.

That is probably not the answer you were seeking. If it got wet enough it could warp, crack or seperate as it dried out. Best buy a plastic one and have some care free fun

Go for it. What do you have to lose? I actually think that it sounds fun.

If it went into the drink it would float for a little while..........fill up with water then sink.

That is probably not the answer you were seeking. If it got wet enough it could warp, crack or seperate as it dried out. Best buy a plastic one and have some care free fun

Why you ...you beat me to it...That was my first thought to give as an answer, Sir, I throw down my gauntlet and challenge you to Ukes at Dawn .....:nana:

I think most ukes float in water....unless it's a solid body....I would leave that at home.

Get an all plastic one. There's beginning to be a few around. I have a Korala explore which I keep in my car but I'm not sure if they're available your side of the pond but there are others. Outdoor uke springs to mind though I think they're overpriced but would do the job.

Get an all plastic one. There's beginning to be a few around. I have a Korala explore which I keep in my car but I'm not sure if they're available your side of the pond but there are others. Outdoor uke springs to mind though I think they're overpriced but would do the job.

The new Makala Waterman all-plastic ukes would be ideal, price tag under $50 (US).

:agree:....................

The new Makala Waterman all-plastic ukes would be ideal, price tag under $50 (US).

I'm a marine mechanic and I spend a lot of time on or near the water. I'm going to pick up a Waterman in the next few days just to keep for those long days when I'm sitting at a dock waiting for a customer. Or when me and the wife are out on the boat and the fish aren't biting.;)

I take my all plastic First Act on the boat all the time. It handles any water from mist, rain, or spray just fine. I wipe it down when we get back on land

If you lose your paddle you could use the uke!
That's what my Martin Backpacker guitar is for. And to whack aggressive beavers and otters.

Just don't use it as a paddle!

My spouse does underwater metal detecting (no scuba, just down to 10 feet or less) and sometimes asks me to transport him in our canoe into areas where access from the land is a problem. Then he's in the water for a long time. I usually take a book. But now that I'm seriously practicing, I was wondering about whether I might take my uke and practice on the water. It sounds rather fun.

He's good at climbing back in the canoe and I've never had the canoe overturn, but still it's water ya know, and anything can happen. My uke is one of the less expensive models. What would happen to it if it went into the drink?
Take a dry bag. Secure your uke when hubby enters water and canoe.
Or get a dolphin or outdoor uke. I actually used my outdoor uke pretty abusively outdoors, but sucker wouldn't tune because the tuners suck sucked sucked.
Another option is a fluke.

Good suggestion. I'd heard someone was introducing another plastic Uke but couldn't remember who. Is it a soprano? I got the Korala because it was what was available but it's a concert and I'd have preferred a soprano for what I bought it for.

For sure, get you one of those $50 plastic ukes that is impervious to water and that you wouldn't cry over if the canoe capsized and it sunk and you couldn't retrieve it.

I'd say try to avoid taking anything wooden where it could get drenched with water.

I've heard good things about the Kealoha plastic Ukes that are sold on Amazon. I've heard how they sound, and I was impressed, considering its a plastic uke. What appeals to me, over the Watermans, is that they are concert scale.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NKBDDDW/ref=mlt_base_B00NKBDDDW

There are many colors to pick from. I've had my eye on the black and gold tribal face one, but I see it's sold out. If you scroll down to the box that says "American Avenger," you can click on it and see the other colors/themes they offer.

If you care about that uke at all - even just sentimental value, I would leave it in the car or at home. I know for me, Murphy's Law would hit me. Just go plastic in your favorite color and have no worries.

Top Bottom