Ko'olau/Pono Factory Tour

tw62862

Reaction score
On a recent trip to Oahu, I was able to tour the Ko'olau/Pono Ukulele factory. Here are some pictures I took for anyone interested.

Hope you enjoy!

Ko’olau company makes both Ko’olau and Pono ukuleles.
* Ko’olau brand ukes are all custom made-to-order in Hawaii
* Pono brand ukes are the Ko’olau production line. They are handmade in Java and then final setup is done in Hawaii
0_sign.jpg

This is Danny (our tour guide). Danny does the inspection and final setup of all Pono ukuleles.

If you have a Pono uke, then odds are that it passed through his hands.
He is a super cool guy!
1_1_danny.jpg

These are the plans for a custom, bow back and front ukulele. The designer has planned out the overall shape and bracing locations.
The sound holes on this uke are designed like those on a mandolin
1_2_plans_bow_top_back.jpg

This is a bending gig for creating the “figure 8” sides of a ukulele.

The wood (in this case Koa) is cut and sanded to the desired thickness. Then they wet it and place it on the gig.
Pressure is applied and the wood takes on the shape of the template.
The wood stays in the gig for about 24 hours.
3_bending_template.jpg

These are bracing gigs. The bent sides are placed in the gigs to be glued together, and for installation of the bindings and side braces.
The gig on the left is a for a “Pineapple” style ukulele.
The one on the right is a traditional “figure 8” style.
4_brace_template1.jpg

Last edited:
That would be a fun visit. Here is a closeup of my Ko'olau tenor tuned high G from the factory:

There are two signatures on the inside labe.l One is Noa Bonk, and I can't read the other one. Did you get to meet Noa?

Tony

Another view showing the internal braces installed.
4_brace_template2.jpg

Backs and tops with braces (the light colored sticks). They are glued in place and then shaped.
When ready, the top and back are glued to the sides using the bracing gigs.
5_backs_tops.jpg

This is a Koa top with an abalone inlay around the sound hole.
The inlay is done by routing out a channel and then placing small abalone pieces in it. The abalone pieces fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.
8_1_top_with_inlay.jpg

This is Noa, installing binding.
Binding is decorative and also adds strength to the joint between the top/side and back/side.
6_binding_install.jpg

This is a supply of necks and heads that have been shaped on a lathe.
7_1_neck_supply.jpg

A close up of a head/neck assembly prior to fret board install
7_3_neck_and_head.jpg

Fret board being installed
7_2_necks.jpg

Fret board work and tools.
7_4_fret_work.jpg

Finishing is done by applying coats of sealer and varnish, and then sanding. The process is repeated over-and-over until the desired look is accomplished.
8_finishing_room.jpg

Here is an example of how the beautiful grain of the Koa wood comes out after several layers of gloss.
The black stripes on the edges is an example of the binding.
8_finish_grain.jpg

This is a beautiful custom ukulele made for a customer in Taiwan. The inlay on the fret board is amazing.
Even though this ukulele will likely be hung up as an art piece…it was built so that it can be played and sounds beautiful.
9_1_amazing_inlay2.jpg

Close up of the amazing inlay on this custom uke.
9_2_amazing_inlay3.jpg

Upstairs are the main offices, and the demo room. If you’ve ever seen a video of a Ko’olau or Pono being demonstrated by a famous ukulele player, this room is most likely where they filmed it.
It is also where they keep the Pono “blems”. These are ukes that have minor cosmetic flaws. They are offered for a substantial discount (well over 50% off) over retail
We looked at over a dozen of them. In each case, the cosmetic flaw was so minor that Danny had to point it out to us.
9_3_pono_seconds.jpg

The tour is free...kind of :cool:
All purchases are optional...but who can resist, right?
9_5not_free.jpg

Here I am...the proud owner of a new Pono Tenor Mango Pineapple
9_6new_uke1.jpg

Very nice! You must have changed your original post and added commentary. Since you have a picture of Noa, I assume youo did get to meet him then. That would be interesting! That last picture of the Koa grain is really, really nice.

That is definitely the way to go, if you can: buy it right at the factory. Congrats on the new Pono tenor.

Tony

Me and my new baby. I love the pineapple shape.
I feel like the extra surface area on the sound board gives it very mellow sound.
I have the same uke (Pono mango tenor) in the traditional "figure 8" shape.
Even with the same strings, the two sound very different.

The pineapple has a deep rich tone. I really like it with a low-G
9_7new_uke.jpg

That's it...hope you all enjoyed it.

Thanks for the pix!

Petey

That would be a fun visit. Here is a closeup of my Ko'olau tenor tuned high G from the factory:

There are two signatures on the inside labe.l One is Noa Bonk, and I can't read the other one. Did you get to meet Noa?

Tony

Beautiful. Having seen the amount of work that goes into making one of these...It's even more impressive. I bet it sounds great.

Loved the factory tour! Great pix and commentary...felt I was right there with you...'cept...where's MY new pono uke?!

Thanks for the post and pics. Always love the pics. I have never seen them from a Ko'olau tour though.

Loved the factory tour! Great pix and commentary...felt I was right there with you...'cept...where's MY new pono uke?!

Believe me...I know THAT feeling
:drool:

There are two signatures on the inside labe.l One is Noa Bonk, and I can't read the other one.

Beautiful uke! The wood is gorgeous and I like the rope on the top. The other signature is probably John Kitakis.

Top Bottom