You are not going to believe this...

Paul:

Yes, it was the white label ukulele at the Roseville store. The intonation problem might well have been resolved with a change of strings, however, it seemed generally out of tune for me. It just had that "out-of-tuneness" that just grated on my ears. That could well have also been my technique not being right for a soprano ukulele - except that none of the sopranos (wasn't that a TV show??) I played at Willie's exhibited that problem. I really am much happier with the Martin, even though it cost quite a bit more. To me, there is a very large difference in overall quality and feel between my Kamaka Ohta-San and the white label model that was at Guitar Center, and it wasn't just the size. To me, it was as if they weren't even from the same company.

Their white label and my gold label are not all that different, at least not visually. I agree that there is a world of difference between my Kamaka and the one I played at Willies. That said, I like my Kamaka a lot, and I did not like the white label that was hanging at GC.

I do feel safe buying at Willie's. Nate is an excellent ukulele player and a uke fanatic, so he really pays attentio to that area of his shop. I don't expect the sales people at GC to know all about everything that comes into their store - there is just too much and too wide a variety of product. At Willie's, there is a lot of caretaking with regard to what comes in and the effort to know all about their products. It is a specialty shop and you do pay for that knowledge. I have nothing against GC and I do buy stuff there. However, when it comes to "vintage" ukuleles or acoustic guitars, to me Willie's is THE place in town to get really good product at a fair (not heavily discounted) price.

Tony

I've always liked shopping at Willies. They always have interesting things in stock.

- Paul

Their white label and my gold label are not all that different, at least not visually. I agree that there is a world of difference between my Kamaka and the one I played at Willies. That said, I like my Kamaka a lot, and I did not like the white label that was hanging at GC.

I've always liked shopping at Willies. They always have interesting things in stock.

- Paul

One person in another thread I started about that soprano at GC said that the 90s was not one of Kamaka's best periods. I do know that, for guitars, there are certain periods for various makers that are considered much better than others. pre-war Martins, especially the late 20s and early thirties seem to be sought after by Martin fans and collectors. I read on several sites that the "golden age" for Martin ukuleles was the mid-20s. So maybe Kamaka has their best times too. The trick is knowing when those times were, I guess. I am just not "in the know" on this stuff, so I look for several sources agreeing on the same bit of information.

Tony

Wow, congratulations! It doesn't look plain to me at all, and I'm sure it doesn't sound plain!

Wow, congratulations! It doesn't look plain to me at all, and I'm sure it doesn't sound plain!

Thanks Nickie! Yes, the wood is gorgeous, but there is no "bling", which is how I prefer it. As for the sound, it lives up to the hype surrounding these "vintage" Martins. :)

Tony

Tony, I just saw your post at the AGF - congrats here, too!

Thanks Chris. Since there is much talk there about vintage Martin guitars, I figured some may be interested to know there is a vintage ukulele market too, and for the same reasons as the guitars - the sound.

Tony

Emeraldroz, how did you come across this old thread (2015), and then feel a need to post to it after so long?

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Great find Tony, and mahalo for sharing your story, and hope your wife continues to do well.

I just wanted to share that I am not really a soprano guy BUT last year I was at an Ukulele Guild of Hawaii event and a gentleman known for his extensive knowledge of vintage ukuleles brought an old Martin so we could all try it out.
It was, in a word, amazing, and I had NO idea a little soprano could punch above its weight like that.
What a joy to play, and with great volume and tone.
So I fully understand how excited you must be!

I wish you may years of enjoyment!

Top Bottom