NUD: SideKick Banjo Uke

You guys tweeked me to check if there was any shipping info on my sidekick order. I was surprised to find it in a truck on delivery for today. I did not expect that! The order was placed 5 days ago shipping to Toronto Canada. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
On the tracking stuff - China Post stopped tracking when it left China but the Canada Post tracker had all the events from start to now.

I'd be curious to know how tricky the initial setup of the Sidekick is? I have a sneaking suspicion I'm getting one for Father's day later this month, which I'm very excited about. I've never had any type of Banjo before so I'd love any advice on setup from those of you who already have a Sidekick.

I was satisfied out of the bix, then my nature got the better of me. The head took a couple turns of tightening on each hook to fully tune. I decided to lower the action at the nut somewhat, and that was a simple procedure (helps having acceotable round files). Have done nothing since except change the strings for CGDA tuning. Nothing's wring with the Aquilas on it if you prefer GCEA.

Thanks again, Steve. That video was very helpful in giving me a better understanding of the process. I will check out the video on the Sidekick site as well.

finally got mine. it was held up in LA for over a week so It took over 2 weeks. Initial impressions:
1. it's rough. The rim looks cheap, there are flaws in the metal.
2. there are a lot sharp bits, like the head adjusters and the nut ends.
3. the action is high , both at the nut and bridge. so It is going to have to be messed with.
4. the "decal" looks cheap and could do without their web address. the whole thing looks cheap, and at $220 shipped it isn't that cheap. It is light and I like the tenor scale, but I bought it new because I wanted something I didn't have to mess with. This looks to me like something that was just thrown together and will take some work.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear yours is so rough. The amount of work I ended up on mine was routine.

Mine was very rough ( as described by Strumsilly) . In fact mine was unplayable because the nut was missing (later found in the bottom of the bag and needed to be glued and clamped). Also the head was very loose and cannot be tightened to my liking because the rim has bottomed out on the neck ( it will need to come apart and have the channel deepened). The tuners were better than i expected except one of the screw-heads was pre almost stripped.
But -- I do consider this an inexpensive instrument and a test case for what i want and need in a banjo uke. I have had 2 other branded banjo ukes and they were very harsh and loud .
and
There were some good things. I like the weight and Tenor neck and the volume was not overly loud with harsh overtones . So i'm hoping with a little TLC i will play this one a lot and will look for its higher class cousin to replace it with.

Last edited:
I’ve been following blogs on our instrument which, up until now, are all positive. You can imagine my disappointment in reading yours, as I can see you feel unhappy with what you have purchased. As your signon (Strumsilly) can’t help me identify and contact you, maybe you could email me.

Hi, As I can ’t identify you from your signon, and I’m anxious to talk with you about your comment here, would you send me an email so I can contact you?
Mine was very rough ( as described by Strumsilly) . In fact mine was unplayable because the nut was missing (later found in the bottom of the bag and needed to be glued and clamped). Also the head was very loose and cannot be tightened to my liking because the rim has bottomed out on the neck ( it will need to come apart and have the channel deepened). The tuners were better than i expected except one of the screw-heads was pre almost stripped.
But -- I do consider this an inexpensive instrument and a test case for what i want and need in a banjo uke. I have had 2 other branded banjo ukes and they were very harsh and loud .
and
There were some good things. I like the weight and Tenor neck and the volume was not overly loud with harsh overtones . So i'm hoping with a little TLC i will play this one a lot and will look for its higher class cousin to replace it with.

I’ve been following blogs on our instrument which, up until now, are all positive. You can imagine my disappointment in reading yours, as I can see you feel unhappy with what you have purchased. As your signon (Strumsilly) can’t help me identify and contact you, maybe you could email me.
You can always privare message through UU. just click on the red name and select private message. I pm'd you with my email and phone number if you wish to contact me.

You can always privare message through UU. just click on the red name and select private message. I pm'd you with my email and phone number if you wish to contact me.
Ed did contact me. He offered to replace it and suggested I donate the other one to Inspire Youth Project ,or to send it back and he would refund total amount including shipping. It is a new product and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping that QC missed it. I do applaud his great customer service. Thanks, Ed

I'm waiting on mine. I've heard nothing but good things about it from all sources.. Eds response was excellent!

Top Bottom