Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NUD: SideKick Banjo Uke

You guys tweeked me to check if there was any shipping info on my sidekick order. I was surprised to find it in a truck on delivery for today. I did not expect that! The order was placed 5 days ago shipping to Toronto Canada. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    On the tracking stuff - China Post stopped tracking when it left China but the Canada Post tracker had all the events from start to now.

I'd be curious to know how tricky the initial setup of the Sidekick is? I have a sneaking suspicion I'm getting one for Father's day later this month, which I'm very excited about. I've never had any type of Banjo before so I'd love any advice on setup from those of you who already have a Sidekick.

I was satisfied out of the bix, then my nature got the better of me. The head took a couple turns of tightening on each hook to fully tune. I decided to lower the action at the nut somewhat, and that was a simple procedure (helps having acceotable round files). Have done nothing since except change the strings for CGDA tuning. Nothing's wring with the Aquilas on it if you prefer GCEA.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), Lanikai LU-22T (T), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T), Lanikai LB6-S (S)
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)

Ukuleles, Guitars & Banjo tuned CGDA, Mandolin tuned GDAE

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks Steve, are the included instructions helpful if you've never tuned a drum head before?
    --

KoAloha Tenor Sceptre, Ohana 5-String Tenor, KoAloha Tenor, Ohana OBU-22 Bass

Quote Originally Posted by jotto View Post
    Thanks Steve, are the included instructions helpful if you've never tuned a drum head before?
    I'd say so....but....Would recommend watching a video on it (such as http://youtu.be/4cogMQEYWdM) so one appreciates it. I think the SideKick folk have also put set-up videos on their website as well.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), Lanikai LU-22T (T), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)

Thanks again, Steve. That video was very helpful in giving me a better understanding of the process. I will check out the video on the Sidekick site as well.
    --

KoAloha Tenor Sceptre, Ohana 5-String Tenor, KoAloha Tenor, Ohana OBU-22 Bass

finally got mine. it was held up in LA for over a week so It took over 2 weeks. Initial impressions:
    1. it's rough. The rim looks cheap, there are flaws in the metal.
    2. there are a lot sharp bits, like the head adjusters and the nut ends.
    3. the action is high , both at the nut and bridge. so It is going to have to be messed with.
    4. the "decal" looks cheap and could do without their web address. the whole thing looks cheap, and at $220 shipped it isn't that cheap. It is light and I like the tenor scale, but I bought it new because I wanted something I didn't have to mess with. This looks to me like something that was just thrown together and will take some work.
    Last edited by strumsilly; 06-20-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Sorry to hear yours is so rough. The amount of work I ended up on mine was routine.
    ...SteveZ

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Sorry to hear yours is so rough. The amount of work I ended up on mine was routine.
    Mine was very rough ( as described by Strumsilly) . In fact mine was unplayable because the nut was missing (later found in the bottom of the bag and needed to be glued and clamped). Also the head was very loose and cannot be tightened to my liking because the rim has bottomed out on the neck ( it will need to come apart and have the channel deepened). The tuners were better than i expected except one of the screw-heads was pre almost stripped.
    But -- I do consider this an inexpensive instrument and a test case for what i want and need in a banjo uke. I have had 2 other branded banjo ukes and they were very harsh and loud .
    and
    There were some good things. I like the weight and Tenor neck and the volume was not overly loud with harsh overtones . So i'm hoping with a little TLC i will play this one a lot and will look for its higher class cousin to replace it with.
    Last edited by Irvine; 06-20-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Here is a handmade Canadian Tenor banjo uke to consider if you want to move up...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...light=midnight
    Greg McHugh

Martin OXK Soprano, Famous (Kiwaya) Thin Body Soprano
    Mainland Red Cedar Long Neck Pineapple, Oscar Schmidt OU2 Concert
    Kealoha Concert, Mainland Mahogany Tenor Cutaway,
    Kala Cedar Tenor Cutaway, Godin Multi-Uke,
    Midnight Special Tenor Banjo Uke

Thread Information