Strings for the big G.

Icelander53

Reaction score
Gretsch that is. I have the Gretsch G9121 Tenor. For the price it's a really nice uke. Even at double the price I'd consider it worth it.

However compared to my Pono's it sounds just a little thin. Not bad but enough so I'm always reaching for the Pono's even though I really love playing the Gretsch.

Right now it's strung in low G with Oasis bright strings. I think it needs a little warmth or something to fill the sound out. So I was thinking maybe some Ko'olau Mahana Low G with 3rd and 4th wound. (on hand) Supposedly they are warm. If that reduces the volume a little it would still likely be good due to the active pick up. I can amp it for more volume.

Any thoughts about the logic of this? If you have this Gretsch what are you using?

The other strings I have on hand that I'd consider are
South coast low G
Living Waters low g
LoPrinzi Low G
Ko'olau Alohi low G
LaBella Uke Pro high G
Fremont single low G
D'Addario Nyltech high G
Ko'olau Gold (with Fremont's for the low g)

Well since no one chimed in and I was chomping at the bit I put on the ko'olau Mahanas. There was supposed to be a wound third and fourth but they goofed and didn't put in the wound 4th so I substituted a fremont squeakless 4th. Just finished it about an hour ago. First impression is what I expected, sound seems good and is warmer than the Oasis to my ear. The surprise though was I thought they would be somewhat muted compared to the Oasis fluorocarbon. Instead it's WAY louder. Go figure. I think they should do the trick. Still early though and I need time for the strings to settle in and my ear to evaluate if it's a sound I want to live with. Also sound very good amped on all Led Zeppelin songs.

Just as a side note, the oasis sets come in either bright or warm. They are identical except for the A string which vary by a couple of mil. The brights haven't sounded great on any uke I've tried them on but I'm a big fan of the warm sets. BTW, the new SouthCoast medium sets I've grid have the same problem with the A string being too thin.

I agree about thin A strings. I don't like em. So far the only fluorocarbons that have impressed me are Worth Browns. (They sound awesome on my Pono.) Oasis are very decent but I always end up replacing them with something else. Something is missing for me but I can't for sure splain that.

The Ko'olau A is so fat that I had to force it into the bridge slot. They are easy to play but high tension and it's noticeable. But it's the volume change that has surprised me. I'm liking them atm. And thanks for that bit of info on Oasis A strings.

Last edited:
Just as a side note, the oasis sets come in either bright or warm. They are identical except for the A string which vary by a couple of mil. The brights haven't sounded great on any uke I've tried them on but I'm a big fan of the warm sets. BTW, the new SouthCoast medium sets I've grid have the same problem with the A string being too thin.

Very puzzling post, Chuck. I know you work for Oasis now, but would that job description require you to make negative posts about other string makers? I've had some good things to say on occasion about other folks strings, but I've stayed away from the negative, myself.

But back to the puzzling part. The only "new" Medium set we have are the Medium Gauge Ukulele sets (reentrant). The 1st string in those is in fact, thicker than an Oasis Warm 1st.

If you're talking about the Medium Gauge Linear set we've had for years, then the 1st string there is indeed .006 thinner than an Oasis Warm 1st. That's awfully close.

So why is his association with Oasis preclude him evaluating other string sets? Personally I'm glad to have him speak his mind. That's what this forum is for and that's what this thread is for. At least I hope so.

Very puzzling post, Chuck. I know you work for Oasis now, but would that job description require you to make negative posts about other string makers? I've had some good things to say on occasion about other folks strings, but I've stayed away from the negative, myself.

But back to the puzzling part. The only "new" Medium set we have are the Medium Gauge Ukulele sets (reentrant). The 1st string in those is in fact, thicker than an Oasis Warm 1st.

If you're talking about the Medium Gauge Linear set we've had for years, then the 1st string there is indeed .006 thinner than an Oasis Warm 1st. That's awfully close.

Haha! Where did you get the idea I work for Oasis? It would be sweet if I did. But I don't! He quoted me in an email a couple of years ago and posted that on his web site. Since then I've ordered strings from them a few times but that's as far as my relationship with them goes. Transparency.
I have sung high praise about your strings Dirk, and there's a reason I have used them on my ukes for years. I realize you are constantly trying to improve your strings sets and I appreciate it. My apologies though as I misquoted the SC I referred to in my previous post. The set I like, and use, is the "Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set". I believe I said "medium" before. This current HM version has an A string that is .019" thick. (The Oasis "warm" on the other hand has an A string that is .022" thick.) When people ask me about my favorite set of strings I tell them: Fremont Soloist for the G string, SC for the C & E strings, and Oasis for the A string. This means buying three sets of strings to string up one uke and that gets expensive. No one has yet designed the perfect set of strings for my taste.
Keep doing what you're doing Dirk, I think you are a great asset to the ukulele community. Your newsletters are also very informative. I'm hoping you will take the comment I made about the A sting as constructive and by no means a criticism or an attack on you. I know you have appreciated feedback in the past.
Oh, and if any string manufacturer out there wants to sponsor me or hire me in any capacity, well...........sorry, I don't do that!

So why is his association with Oasis preclude him evaluating other string sets? Personally I'm glad to have him speak his mind. That's what this forum is for and that's what this thread is for. At least I hope so.

An association, in an of itself, wouldn't preclude commenting on others products if that's the way you want to go.

But are you all right with that associate misstating facts? Do you think I should have let that sort of statement stand uncorrected? Comparative diameter is not an "opinion".

Haha! Where did you get the idea I work for Oasis? It would be sweet if I did. But I don't! He quoted me in an email a couple of years ago and posted that on his web site. ... My apologies though as I misquoted the SC I referred to in my previous post. The set I like, and use, is the "Heavy Medium Gauge Ukulele Set". I believe I said "medium" before. This current HM version has an A string that is .019" thick. (The Oasis "warm" on the other hand has an A string that is .022" thick.) When people ask me about my favorite set of strings I tell them: Fremont Soloist for the G string, SC for the C & E strings, and Oasis for the A string. This means buying three sets of strings to string up one uke and that gets expensive. No one has yet designed the perfect set of strings for my taste.
Keep doing what you're doing Dirk, I think you are a great asset to the ukulele community. Your newsletters are also very informative. I'm hoping you will take the comment I made about the A sting as constructive and by no means a criticism or an attack on you. I know you have appreciated feedback in the past.
Oh, and if any string manufacturer out there wants to sponsor me or hire me in any capacity, well...........sorry, I don't do that!

O.K., That sounds like the Chuck I know!

String diameter can vary a bit, even with modern manufacturing. The HMLs are speced at .023. I don't know how you measured that much less if you got them direct from us.

As far as 1st string diameters, we don't like them really thin either. The only way to get them thicker is to go high tension or low density. It's a tricky balance, and we're always looking for low density that's not too "funky" (dead).

And if Oasis isn't giving you something for that web page with your name all over it, they're ripping you big time! Get on 'em!

Last edited:
An association, in an of itself, wouldn't preclude commenting on others products if that's the way you want to go.

But are you all right with that associate misstating facts? Do you think I should have let that sort of statement stand uncorrected? Comparative diameter is not an "opinion".

Holy smokes! So buying strings from a company means I have an "association" with them? In that case I have an association with hundreds of people, including you! Please read my previous post. There I've admitted to referring to the "Medium" sets when I should have said "Heavy Medium" but even on those sets the A string is too thin for what I want. Comparing the two brands I mentioned the A strings are .003" apart from each other. I said that I PERSONALLY PREFER a larger A string on my ukes. I also mentioned in my first response that I am not a fan of Oasis "bright" sets. Just trying to keep it real here and not singling anyone one out. As i said earlier, no one has made my perfect set of string yet. Being on this board for 8 years now and having read enough string discussion I know I'm not alone. Just as there is no perfect uke for everybody. I am truly sorry you took offense at my response.

We're stepping on each other's posts here. So that sounds more like the Dirk I know! I know we've conversed in the past and it's always been constructive.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close. Admittedly, for me, I look for sound first, then tension.

I'm sorry, had I known this conversation was headed in the direction it took I think this would have been best carried on outside the forum. I do however feel that we both felt attacked early on. I trust we've resolved that misunderstanding. ;)

BTW, I haven't been on the Oasis web site in a couple of years so I'm not familiar with what's going on over there.

We're stepping on each other's posts here. So that sounds more like the Dirk I know! I know we've conversed in the past and it's always been constructive.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close. Admittedly, for me, I look for sound first, then tension.

I'm sorry, had I known this conversation was headed in the direction it took I think this would have been best carried on outside the forum. I do however feel that we both felt attacked early on. I trust we've resolved that misunderstanding. ;)

BTW, I haven't been on the Oasis web site in a couple of years so I'm not familiar with what's going on over there.

Yeah, they've got you front and center, so when I first saw that post, I obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion. Sorry for that!

We look for tension & sound together - equally - and then diameter if we can get it.

You're right - the forum thing wasn't the best thing. Will look forward to the better communication we've always had in the past.

Aloha, Chuck!

Sorry, I omitted this from my last post.

This is the reading I'm getting on the A string from the HML sets I got most recently. It's not the best digital caliper in the world but it should be pretty close.

Attachments

• A string.jpg
    A string.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 35
Well, Chuck, that photo explains the discrepancy. That is not an HML set, it's an HMU set. It came from "HMS". The labels are different - we just put "names" on their sets (along with tuning suggestions) instead of both names and "codes" on our direct sales.

Both "HMs" are "Heavy Medium Gauge" , but "L" stands for Linear, and "U" for Ukulele - as in this photo - that's our name for a reentrant set. We don't just "throw on" wound strings on top of our reentrant sets - in order to get better balance we often will have 4 completely different strings. When building a set with wound strings, we start from scratch.

No one else goes to this sort of trouble, so it's common perception that we're just "getting by" with as few strings as possible, because that's what everyone else does - we don't. Your caliper is not that far off - that set has a 1st string speced at .020. So if you thought one set (Ukulele) corresponded directly to the other (Linear), then that's what threw you off.

This is actually always a problem when someone on the forum reviews our strings. There are posts along the lines of "I tried Southcoast and .........". Of course most of those reviews are nice, but whether good or bad, outside of a general philosophy about stringing, it's almost impossible to generalize about our strings. Every set is made of different material, so unless a reviewer specifies the set, saying "Southcoast" on a review has very little meaning.

Just as a side note, the oasis sets come in either bright or warm. They are identical except for the A string which vary by a couple of mil. The brights haven't sounded great on any uke I've tried them on but I'm a big fan of the warm sets. (Irrelevant comment to my post removed)

I think the naming convention Oasis chose -- "warm" and "bright" -- is misleading. My Hive Hornet Spruce/Maple came with Oasis "Brights" and pretty much everyone who heard the HMS sound sample or heard this uke in person comments how wonderfully "warm" it sounds. To be fair, I haven't yet tried other strings on it yet. While I'm normally quick to do so (certified String Changing Obsession), this is one of the very best sounding ukes I've personally heard so I'm not anxious to explore strings.

When I do, I would probably try the Southcoast set with the wound third and fourth next.

E

My apologies Icelander for straying but I was wondering if Dirk could expound upon why the high A of his HM linear set would be be different from the high A on his HM reentrant set?

I have no issue with you disputing a statement you don't agree with. I'm guessing you know that. What I dispute is making it personal which is what happened. That's not debate nor how these discussions are supposed to work.

And I have no problem with the topic straying. Ask anything you want.

Last edited:
Back to our regularly scheduled program.........strings for the Gretsch hog. If you say it is a bit thin and you would also like more warmth give this a try. Put on a wound third and fourth, this will give more sustain and depth. Using what you have on hand I would then use the Living Water E and A string, I find them on the warm side.

But Dave, That's just what I did put on. The sound is a little bright and there isn't much sustain compared to the Pono's. That may be something strings cannot address. Sometimes I think they just put things like warm, and bright on string sets for the rubes. (of which I am one)

Of course when I play it today it could sound different. That's the rub, which part is generic human bias and what is actual?

Last edited:
Top Bottom