Looking to buy another tenor; weigh in on some ukes?

Yes, with the sale price, adding a pickup isn't much more than the regular price. Tell us all about it when it arrives!

Also, adding the pickup brought my total up so I got free shipping. It was the right thing to do :)

Thanks to everyone for your help and input, it's really appreciated. I went with the Pono MT, had it strung low G and added the MiSi pickup. At the sale price it seemed like the best option.
And now the wait begins...

Congrats! I just popped for a Pono AT myself but didn't upgrade to a pickup. Just couldn't get the wife to let go of the extra cost. Since I just got a Kala KA-TG from HMS a few weeks ago. Wait time was 8 business days to Illinois for the Kala. Might be a bit longer with the sale and additional work yours will take since you added a pickup. But it is worth the wait. They did a great job on my Kala and I can wait for them to do the same to my AT. Didn't say it would be an easy wait, but I do have a nice Kala to play till the AT arrives.

Originally I had intended to buy a uke and add the pickup later myself. With the sale price of the Pono I got to thinking... The great part about buying from HMS is the setup. Although I'm capable of installing an undersaddle pickup I figured it's a good idea to leave it to the pros. Adding the pickup to the order saved me $27 in shipping so it could be reasoned that I'm getting a "discount" on the pickup ;)

Really great choice and I am glad you actually pulled the trigger. So many threads are about what should I buy and then the OP waffles and the deal is gone........good for you.

Great choice of instrument and smart move to buy a different brand. It is a treat to have different makes because each has it's own distinct sound. Congratulations and have fun getting to know your new baby. Don't forget to do a proper NUD once you spent some time with it. Everybody loves a good NUD :cheers:

It's funny that I posted 5 ukes I was considering and ended up ordering off the menu. But then again that's why I came here for advice. I'm reading that the Pono has a thicker neck than Kala. Even though my Kala is comfy a thicker neck might be even better. I'm looking forward to trying something new.

FWIW, Ohana has a cutaway version of the mahogany one: TK-35CG, selling online retail for about $290. I don't know if there's a cutaway version of the cedar/rosewood.

Here's mine. And no, the cedar/rosewood doesn't come in a cutaway. :cool:

TK-35CG.jpg

Last edited:
It's funny that I posted 5 ukes I was considering and ended up ordering off the menu. But then again that's why I came here for advice. I'm reading that the Pono has a thicker neck than Kala. Even though my Kala is comfy a thicker neck might be even better. I'm looking forward to trying something new.

I owned a Kala accicia solid wood tenor and I just received my Pono classic from HMS . Kala neck is thinner while Pono may be a touch thicker it's still quite comfortable. As for sound quality, it's depend on the type of strings. Hope it's not too late for you to order southcoast and Fremont low G from HMS so they can string them for you free of charge.
Kala accicia has a very bright tone that I absolutely love while Pono (mine is also accicia ) is more of a guitar sound. They are just different. Pono has much better craftsmanship but I am comparing $800 Pono to the $350 Kala.
You will be happy with a Pono.

The MiSi pickup is out of stock so it will be a week or two before they can set up my uke. I requested low G, I'll get back to them and ask for the Southcoast/Fremont strings. Is the Fremont low G fluorocarbon?

The Fremont low G that comes in the low G set is fluorocarbon. If you're buying the single low G string, it's a flat wound string.

Thanks. I requested the Southcoast strings and the Fremont wound low G. Still waiting for the MiSi pickups but I'm in no hurry.

I'm a fan of using less common woods for the body so for your next uke id reccomend the ebony kala, it dosent only look good but the sound can vary. me and my friend each have a spruce/ebony ukulele yet mine sound mellower while his sounds brighter. test your luck!

Top Bottom