Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What ukulele would you play to accompany an electric guitar?

Default What ukulele would you play to accompany an electric guitar?

The lead ukulele player in our band also picks up an acoustic guitar, a banjo or an electric guitar for some songs. When he plays lead electric guitar I usually use my baritone (a Pono Mango electro-acoustic) to play rhythm, but am I missing a trick here - is this an excuse to get another ukulele? If so, what would you choose to play with an electric guitar? A Risa maybe..?

Have you ever considered an 8-string tenor? I took an inexpensive Oscar Schmidt OU28T, added an as-inexpensive pickup/preamp to it and that gave a lot of versatility. Sound sample (unamped) of the OU28T (tuned cCgGDDAA) )is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/osca...ou28t-heart-of.

There are a lot of good choices for 8-string, including the Pono MT-8.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

My Risa steel string Black Beauty electric uke. It's really a fun uke to play and sounds amazing amped.

Depending on how much you have to spend, check out the Epiphone Les Paul (vintage sunburst or cherry burst). $99 and a whole lot of fun.The setup it comes with is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Have you ever considered an 8-string tenor? I took an inexpensive Oscar Schmidt OU28T, added an as-inexpensive pickup/preamp to it and that gave a lot of versatility. Sound sample (unamped) of the OU28T (tuned cCgGDDAA) )is at https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/osca...ou28t-heart-of.

There are a lot of good choices for 8-string, including the Pono MT-8.
    Yes, an 8 string Tenor. With this, you can sound like a 12 string guitar, a mandolin or a pair of ukes. They are extremely versatile.

I had a Risa, they are very good but you will just sound like a higher pitched electric guitar. Another option would be a banjo uke (think Mumfors and Sons)

The Godin Multiuke is a great option or a Pono or Koolau solidbody tenor are a great choices too.
    Beeru Onegashimasu.
    Little ukes, Bigger ukes, Big ukes
    Stupid looking Hat
    Sunglasses and Sandles

I'd buy Dayne's MIDI/piezo upgraded Risa LP, seen here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...MIDI-pickup%29

You've got the magnetic pickups, the piezo pickups and then the MIDI capability which lets you connect to a synth module or iPad even (with the right convertor box) and PLAY ukulele but trigger the sounds of an infinite number of possibilities of synthesizer sounds...
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Yeah, that Risa is sweet.

In an 8 string, it's tough to beat the new, all solid Ohana with solid spruce top and mahogany body. Sounds amazing for that kind of money.
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 05-27-2015 at 01:14 AM.

All of my ukes, past and present came with or I've added preamps, ready for any occasion. Oops, have held of adding one to my black mandolele, but sooner or later...

Thread Information