What ukulele would you play to accompany an electric guitar?

This is a good thread. I tried this once, with my loudest uke, and could not be heard except for the notes between the guitar notes. I won't try that again.

There's another truism. When all else fails (being heard, that is), get a banjo. Now, a banjo uke can really blast, especially the new Deering banjo uke with the eleven-inch head with or without a resonator. Tried the EZ-resonator on mine (borrowed it off my tenor banjo) and it was impressive.

There's another truism. When all else fails (being heard, that is), get a banjo. Now, a banjo uke can really blast, especially the new Deering banjo uke with the eleven-inch head with or without a resonator. Tried the EZ-resonator on mine (borrowed it off my tenor banjo) and it was impressive.

Yup...you could take the neck of the Banjo Uke , groin the electric geetar feller from behind ...and as he sinks silently and slowly to his knees, lips moving in something akin to prayer take advantage of the lull and rip off a blinding solo that will bring the house down ....Banjo Ukes will be best for that ...Heavy, see ? With a good pendulum upswing motion..........

Or not.:eek::rolleyes:

Maybe better not eh?

I have a resonator uke (not a banjo) and it will keep up with any guitar acoustically without an amp. It's a tenor Mya Moe with a National cone.

Ah, I should have said that my ukuleles do have pickups: my concerns weren't about volume so much as tone. When we play 2 ukuleles, a ukulele & a banjo or even my ukulele + an acoustic guitar with double bass all sounds good to me; when the lead player picks up his electric guitar & the double bass is exchanged for an electric one, on songs these 2 guys have been playing since they first came out in the sixties, I'm not sure my ukulele sounds right in the mix. I think it's partly because the 2 guys I play with are doing the same things they would be if they were in a band with a drummer & another guitarist... maybe. I guess I could try a pedal for some different effects but I liked John's suggestion that I try different techniques - more percussive stuff etc So I'm going to try that first. :)

A uke will need beefing up in the tone department ...or just play to its strengths and emphasise the treble nature that is where it lives.......
I think that you need to look at arranging the music so that the guitars are just maybe comping on the bass strings while the uke soars above doing the lead.

Or maybe let the 'leccie git's just have their head and maybe don't play or just take a back seat . You don't have to have everybody playing everything , everytime , every song .....

A uke will need beefing up in the tone department ...or just play to its strengths and emphasise the treble nature that is where it lives.......
I think that you need to look at arranging the music so that the guitars are just maybe comping on the bass strings while the uke soars above doing the lead.

Or maybe let the 'leccie git's just have their head and maybe don't play or just take a back seat . You don't have to have everybody playing everything , everytime , every song .....
Thanks CeeJay. If all else fails I'll give your banjo uke neck suggestion some serious consideration ;)

My Deering Goodtime banjo uke seems work well when playing with my friends that play electric guitars , I have ordered a Taropatch with Pick up that will arrive here in Australia in late July ,,,,that should do the job

A solid body uke, steel or nylon strung would fit the bill. There's a variety available from good makers. Use effects pedals to get a tone that will complement the leccy guitar and you can either play rhythm or take your turn as lead.

Loved your cartoon CJ. Getting them in the goolys is the way to go :rofl:

Oh! I forgot, don't forget to turn it up to 11 - at least. :rulez:

Last edited:
I just today bought a 1920's vintage tiple, maybe by Regal. That's a 10-steel-string tenor uke with courses tuned gG-cCc-eEe-aa. The sucker is resonant and LOUD, certainly rather louder than the Martin Backpacker guitar I brought along on this long road trip. When I get home I'll clip a contact mike onto it, plug it into my 250-watt amp, and wake up the neighborhood. Yes, I am evil. :p Anyway, you might look into letting UAS lead you to a tiple.

Here's a cheap steel string electric guitar style of uke on Amazon "Vorson Electric Ukulele " a black one is $120.

Top Bottom