Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book titles?

Post Book titles?

Hi all - total noob - first post...
    Short intro: built a wooden sailboat a few years ago, bought a uke a few weeks ago and love the little thing, have tools and offcuts (Western Red Cedar, Honduras Mahogany, Sitka Spruce) and am totally envious of everyone on the forum who has built a uke...but...I can't get Hana Lima Ia shipped to Canada. Any other manuals around that deal with ukuluthierology...ukuluthieritis...you know, that virus that you're all infected with? (I see that Chuck (Moore) recommends Cumpiano's guitar manual but that might discourage me until I get at least one under my belt) Thanks in advance.

I'd be willing to order a copy from Hana Lima Ia and then ship it to you for whatever the cost is to me.
    “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Berthold Auerbach

Kanile`a Custom T Walnut Tenor "Luana"
    DeVine Maple Concert "Momi"
    Flea Custom Sinker Redwood Concert "Nahele"
    Kanile`a Custom Koa Concert "Joy" (just visiting)

Quote Originally Posted by CINTAMANI View Post
    I can't get Hana Lima Ia shipped to Canada.
    Did they change their selling/shipping policies? I ordered one last year (ummm... haven't built anything yet )from them and I don't remember having any problems getting to the GTA.

thanks for the instant replies...I was just in the shop copying the profile of my cordoba to see how many ukes I can make - ha! cpatch - thanks, and yes, but let me see if rubbertoe knows something I don't first - I was just going by their website - I figured they didn't want to mess around with international shipping or something.
    I shudda menshuned zwell: furst forum posting speriense.

a thousand pardons - how could I have missed it - they certainly do ship internationally. I'll order one tomorrow. To press my luck just a little more...any other titles?

The Cumpiano book is only if you are serious about building and want to take this somewhere. For the very casual builder, building one or two ukes, there are at least two other uke building books out there as well that I know of. One by Gilbert , the other by Wickham I think. This is off the top of my head, which I seem to have misplaced today. Someone else can help you with the titles. They have a different approach that doesn't mesh with my style but you might find them helpful. Could probably get them used from Amazon. You NEED all the books anyway, and all the tools, and all the toys................
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    The Cumpiano book is only if you are serious about building and want to take this somewhere. For the very casual builder, building one or two ukes, there are at least two other uke building books out there as well that I know of. One by Gilbert , the other by Wickham I think. This is off the top of my head, which I seem to have misplaced today. Someone else can help you with the titles. They have a different approach that doesn't mesh with my style but you might find them helpful. Could probably get them used from Amazon. You NEED all the books anyway, and all the tools, and all the toys................
    Like the $50 dollar blank straight edge?
    Purchase my new solo album HERE!
    Check out my YouTube
    www.mattukulele.com

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpingflea View Post
    Like the $50 dollar blank straight edge?
    And the dozen routers........
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Dennis Gilbert and Henry Wickham both have books. Get the Hana Lima I`a one. Only drawback is that you'll be set for only a Spanish heel.

Ditto to Chuck on Cumpiano's book. While a bit outdated (okay, a lot), there's a reason its referred to as the "bible". He (Cumpiano) has some updates on his website, like his bolt on neck joint, and his slant toward tap tuning (or lack thereof).

-Aaron

Many thanks - waiting for Hana Lima to get back to me and heading to the library to see if I can find the other titles.
    In the meantime, anyone care to show off a "uke stand"? I know someone out there has designed and built one - I need a project while I'm waiting for the book to come.
    (and someone please tell me if this makes me a post-whore or thread-cutter or whatever else might be politically incorrect)

Thread Information