Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: George Formby (2011 Documentary)

  1. #1

    Default George Formby (2011 Documentary)

    This forum needs a serious George Formby injection to liven the place up...behold one of the great masters from a bygone era:



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ-7bYFmM18
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    For those who are into George Formby this is sheer shimmering gold from an ardent enthusiast and (at the time ) novice uku player.

    For those not particularly "into" George it may actually fill out a bit more of the 2 dimensional character that many see him as. He was not his on screen "daft Lancashire lad" in real life. And there is more songs than "When I'm Cleaning Windows " which is actually a pretty damned good song....

    He was a master of the strummed Ukelele techniques .... techniques and styles often scoffed at or mocked by those whom I suspect do so because they mistakenly view "strumming" as "easy"..

    Well all I say is try these on for size: "It's In the Air " "Lancashire Toreador" " It Jolly Well Serves You right"

    But , ey no lissen ey'up, as we say in Yorkshire, give this soft 'A'porth from t' Red Rose County a chance and a listen......you may be surprised ...if not you've lost nowt...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    For those who are into George Formby this is sheer shimmering gold from an ardent enthusiast and (at the time ) novice uku player.

    For those not particularly "into" George it may actually fill out a bit more of the 2 dimensional character that many see him as. He was not his on screen "daft Lancashire lad" in real life. And there is more songs than "When I'm Cleaning Windows " which is actually a pretty damned good song....

    He was a master of the strummed Ukelele techniques .... techniques and styles often scoffed at or mocked by those whom I suspect do so because they mistakenly view "strumming" as "easy"..

    Well all I say is try these on for size: "It's In the Air " "Lancashire Toreador" " It Jolly Well Serves You right"

    But , ey no lissen ey'up, as we say in Yorkshire, give this soft 'A'porth from t' Red Rose County a chance and a listen......you may be surprised ...if not you've lost nowt...
    Well said CeeJay!
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Close to Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Booli, I just finished the documentary and was completely captivated by it. I knew that George Formby was a very good player but this took it to another level. WOW!
    Thank You for you posting this!
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

    Anonymous


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    751

    Default

    I've watched this before and really learned a lot. Good ol' George. Thanks for sharing Booli.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
    Booli, I just finished the documentary and was completely captivated by it. I knew that George Formby was a very good player but this took it to another level. WOW!
    Thank You for you posting this!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesoup View Post
    I've watched this before and really learned a lot. Good ol' George. Thanks for sharing Booli.
    Glad to oblige

    When I watched this, I again could not help but feel like I was born a bit too late, which has happened before when I first discovered the Rat Pack (Sinatra, et al [ca. 1988]) and also with Bobby Darin [ca. 1992], but I am thankful that we have such decent historical records, and useful tools like YouTube that can shine a light on things of the past like this (once you get past all the cutesy cat videos and wild conspiracy rants).

    One of the things that really drew me in to this documentary was also just how humble Frank Skinner is, and how truly genuine his interest and fascination with George Formby is...and thanks to some kind soul that uploaded this online, those of us that are not blessed with access to BBC programming can also enjoy such content.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •