George Formby (2011 Documentary)

For those who are into George Formby this is sheer shimmering gold from an ardent enthusiast and (at the time ) novice uku player.

For those not particularly "into" George it may actually fill out a bit more of the 2 dimensional character that many see him as. He was not his on screen "daft Lancashire lad" in real life. And there is more songs than "When I'm Cleaning Windows " which is actually a pretty damned good song....

He was a master of the strummed Ukelele techniques .... techniques and styles often scoffed at or mocked by those whom I suspect do so because they mistakenly view "strumming" as "easy"..

Well all I say is try these on for size: "It's In the Air " "Lancashire Toreador" " It Jolly Well Serves You right"

But , ey no lissen ey'up, as we say in Yorkshire, give this soft 'A'porth from t' Red Rose County a chance and a listen......you may be surprised ...if not you've lost nowt...

For those who are into George Formby this is sheer shimmering gold from an ardent enthusiast and (at the time ) novice uku player.

For those not particularly "into" George it may actually fill out a bit more of the 2 dimensional character that many see him as. He was not his on screen "daft Lancashire lad" in real life. And there is more songs than "When I'm Cleaning Windows " which is actually a pretty damned good song....

He was a master of the strummed Ukelele techniques .... techniques and styles often scoffed at or mocked by those whom I suspect do so because they mistakenly view "strumming" as "easy"..

Well all I say is try these on for size: "It's In the Air " "Lancashire Toreador" " It Jolly Well Serves You right"

But , ey no lissen ey'up, as we say in Yorkshire, give this soft 'A'porth from t' Red Rose County a chance and a listen......you may be surprised ...if not you've lost nowt...

Well said CeeJay! :shaka:

Booli, I just finished the documentary and was completely captivated by it. I knew that George Formby was a very good player but this took it to another level. WOW!
Thank You for you posting this!

Booli, I just finished the documentary and was completely captivated by it. I knew that George Formby was a very good player but this took it to another level. WOW!
Thank You for you posting this!

I've watched this before and really learned a lot. Good ol' George. Thanks for sharing Booli.

Glad to oblige :)

When I watched this, I again could not help but feel like I was born a bit too late, which has happened before when I first discovered the Rat Pack (Sinatra, et al [ca. 1988]) and also with Bobby Darin [ca. 1992], but I am thankful that we have such decent historical records, and useful tools like YouTube that can shine a light on things of the past like this (once you get past all the cutesy cat videos and wild conspiracy rants).

One of the things that really drew me in to this documentary was also just how humble Frank Skinner is, and how truly genuine his interest and fascination with George Formby is...and thanks to some kind soul that uploaded this online, those of us that are not blessed with access to BBC programming can also enjoy such content. :)

Top Bottom