Ordered a Braguinha !

kissing

Reaction score
Being on vacation with my Soprano uke (a Mainland laminate "Gecko") made me appreciate the soprano size ukulele more.

This made me get a bit of UAS and do a bit of shopping for another Soprano ukulele.

Then I came across this soprano sized APC Braguinha from Uke Republic:
http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/apc-solid-spruce-top-mahogany-b-s-portuguese-braguinha

I was hooked and ordered one.

Why?

I also play guitar, and personally find DGBE tuning to be more comfortable for accompanyment.

Steel strings are not a problem for me, as I also play guitar and like the extra projection.

I also love it how it is Soprano size. From this travel experience, I have learned that it is the best size for travel.

I intend to tune it in DGBE (octave higher than guitar).
I am not a fan of the stock Braguinha strings, where only the 4th string is thicker and the other 3 are the same gauge. I intend to replace them with the top 4 strings of an acoustic guitar set, possibly an extra light .10 set.

Any experiences with the Braguinha?

Looking forward to how you'll like it, and hearing you play it. :)

I just ordered a custom machete (same thing, but nylon/gut/fluorocarbon strings) from Scot Tremblay this weekend after I saw Rob MacKillop's instrument and heard him play. Won't be here for a while, though. Steel strings aren't for me, but the APC Braguinha is definitely an attractive instrument. (I had been really good about resisting UAS, too... oh well!)

The funny thing is, I'm still overseas on my trip (in Korea).

I'm going back home in about a week, and I already ordered it online thru Uke Republic. Theoretically it will arrive just as I return home!

I've been looking at some videos online, and this particular player got my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx33Mje4lTc

Congrats Kissing!

I think that this instrument will be a perfect complement to your guitar and uke experience. Tuned DGBE, an octave up from bari or guitar tuning should blend nicely in an ensemble playing or recording setup.

Now you've got me thinking about getting one!

That video is a great demo of the sound too. Thanks for sharing this with us. I too am looking forward to your sound demo. :)

Naturally I also intend to install an undersaddle piezo too!

I have been eying this one since Uke Republic released their other APC soprano video in their FB page as that video mentions this APC Brauguinha. That video also mentions they are getting the grandfather of of the ukulele, too, the Cavaquinho.

Eagerly awaiting feedback from you and enjoy your Braguinha. Is it heavier than a regular ukulele?

Last edited:
I have been eying this one since Uke Republic released their other APC soprano video in their FB page as that video mentions this APC Brauguinha. That video also mentions they are getting the grandfather of of the ukulele, too, the Cavaquinho.

Eagerly awaiting feedback from you and enjoy your Braguinha. Is it heavier than a regular ukulele?

I havent received it yet, but I would imagine it would weigh approximately the same.

Perhaps a bit more heavily built to accomodate steel strings

Damn............another potential case of UAS is now brewing. Very cool instrument that was not even on my radar. Thanks for sharing, the video was great.

Looking forward to how you'll like it, and hearing you play it. :)

I just ordered a custom machete (same thing, but nylon/gut/fluorocarbon strings) from Scot Tremblay this weekend after I saw Rob MacKillop's instrument and heard him play. Won't be here for a while, though. Steel strings aren't for me, but the APC Braguinha is definitely an attractive instrument. (I had been really good about resisting UAS, too... oh well!)

What tuning will the custom machete be in?
I ask because as far as I can tell, it is not usually possible to tune a soprano sized and larger instrument to high-DGBE using nylon/gut/fluorocarbon.
At least that's what I have been told when I asked around for this option.

I do have a TOM mini pocket uke, which is smaller than a Soprano which I managed to tune to high DGBE.

Because the APC Braguinha is a steel-string instrument, the high-DGBE tuning is possible.
If you have to tune your custom to a lower tuning (eg: GCEA), isn't it... *gasp*.. an ukulele?

The YouTube video you had included makes it all that much more tempting.

Mike brought one to UWC and I got a chance to play it. It is a great little instrument! The strings were very thin and not what I generally associate with steel strings. The weight was in line with my Ohana soprano. The sound was very bright. It has been placed on my "to get" list. You should enjoy it! Congrats!!

I would recommend switching out the strings. The stock ones are awful because the unwound strings are all the same gauge (.010), which in my opinion is just lazy production.

Mine are setup with DGBE strings from a 9 gauge electric guitar set, tuned an octave high. It is perfect. I also installed a pickup too!

Top Bottom