Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your player level

Default What is your player level

So I am planning on attending the Uke & Guitar Summit at Strathoore in Washington DC area in August. Looking at the program they list the classes by levels....Novice, Beginner, Advanced Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. They give no guidelines as to what constitutes a level...so I ask this group what you think.

I guess that signing up for a certain level of class one should be somewhat realistic, I think pushing oneself is better than being in a class where one would be bored. Any thoughts?

AS an aside James Hill is one of the teachers for an advanced class and requires an audition to get it. I'll not be pushing myself that much!!!

Having no idea of your playing level, I can't offer much advice. Other than...knowing several chords and the basics would move you to intermediate. Novice would be if you have never played an uke. Have fun!
    Covered Bridge Cedar/Myrtle Tenor
    KoAloha Longneck Soprano
    Concert Flea
    Mele Mahogany Tenor
    Mele Mahogany Concert Pineapple
    Mainland Mahogany Soprano
    50's Roy Smeck Soprano
    guitars, mandolin, fiddle, harmonica

Ask the organizers of the summit to define the levels for you since you're spending money to go there and want to get the most out of it. I'm an advanced player (although only in my own mind) but I enjoy the beginner classes because it's quite a feat to teach and inspire beginners. In other words, you can learn something from every level if you're open to it.

Hippie Dribble Guest

Novice - never seen or held a ukulele before.probably sees one and thinks it's a banjo or violin.
    Beginner - knows how to hold the thing and play a 3 chord song in C... old time children's folk songs et al
    A. Beginner - knows a dozen or more chords probably and has some basic strumming technique/rhythm
    Inter - who the hell knows..that's the most broad and indefinable category in the universe and will inevitably depend on the teacher. one folks' intermediate is another folks' "dude, you don't know nuffink". you'd probably know diminished chords, minor & maj 7th and 6ths, plus some different strumming rhythms and time sigs
    Advanced - another one impossible to define (same as above - will depend on the teacher). you'd have a broad based chord knowledge and know how to play solo stuff ad lib, make up some chord solo melodies etc. But I guess if you get kicked out of James' audition you'll know youse aint advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Dribble View Post
    Novice - never seen or held a ukulele before.probably sees one and thinks it's a banjo or violin.
    Beginner - knows how to hold the thing and play a 3 chord song in C... old time children's folk songs et al
    A. Beginner - knows a dozen or more chords probably and has some basic strumming technique/rhythm
    Inter - who the hell knows..that's the most broad and indefinable category in the universe and will inevitably depend on the teacher. one folks' intermediate is another folks' "dude, you don't know nuffink". you'd probably know diminished chords, minor & maj 7th and 6ths, plus some different strumming rhythms and time sigs
    Advanced - another one impossible to define (same as above - will depend on the teacher). you'd have a broad based chord knowledge and know how to play solo stuff ad lib, make up some chord solo melodies etc. But I guess if you get kicked out of James' audition you'll know youse aint advanced.
    This is good!
    Covered Bridge Cedar/Myrtle Tenor
    KoAloha Longneck Soprano
    Concert Flea
    Mele Mahogany Tenor
    Mele Mahogany Concert Pineapple
    Mainland Mahogany Soprano
    50's Roy Smeck Soprano
    guitars, mandolin, fiddle, harmonica

Depends on broad areas. A jazz or classical player should read music; 'advanced' includes fluid sight-reading. Many traditional music areas have much less stringent requirements, but a grounding in music theory is still essential to advancing beyond Beginner. I'm Intermediate in some areas and Novice in others (like fiddle). But yes, get the people who take your money to explain CLEARLY what their levels mean.

Ukes: Alvarez 4- & Kala 6- & O.Schmidt 8-string tenors; 1 Ohana & 2 Kahalo sopranos; Harmonia concert & bari
    Mandos: Celtic (KE Coleman) & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A-types; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cumbus o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando; Venezuelan cuatro; zithers

I would consider myself "barely competent!" haha but it's all good. Love it regardless of my playing ability.
    The uke's not all douche-y and hyper-competitive like guitar players.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I play and hope for the best. In some areas, I'm probably advanced; in others - such as classical - I am not even a novice.

I've taken classes called beginner but they went too fast for me and I played guitar for almost 50 years and knew many more than 3 ukulele chords. I also took what was called an intermediate course of 6 classes and only the last class did I actually learn something new. One of the best classes I took was at the 1st Santa Monica Ukulele Festival, "Moving Up the Fretboard" with Sarah Maisel, she really knows how to teach, which is a specialty unto itself.

I am at the point where I am acutely aware of how much I suck.

Note that this stage comes AFTER the stage when people start to tell you, "Hey, you're pretty good . . " not before.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Southcoast MU)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone "Rennaissance Guitar": Kala KA-SBG (C-Linear with Worth BL-LGs currently.)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Tenor "Low G': Kala KA-FMTG (Southcoast LML-NW
    Tenor: Kala SRT-CTG-E (Southcoast LMU-NW
    Baritone "Nui": Pono NS-10 (Worth B-B)

Thread Information