Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your player level

I'm an Expert...at entertaining myself, that's what's most important!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    . A ukulele class at a festival that requires an audition is beyond my comprehension.
    Mine too. That's a tad odd. And good advice to pick the subject matter with the most appeal, and attend just to have fun and meet folks and possibly learn some cool stuff in the process.
    Covered Bridge Cedar/Myrtle Tenor
    KoAloha Longneck Soprano
    Concert Flea
    Mele Mahogany Tenor
    Mele Mahogany Concert Pineapple
    Mainland Mahogany Soprano
    50's Roy Smeck Soprano
    guitars, mandolin, fiddle, harmonica

go for the very begginer one and pretend to be a newcomer.. would be my choice hahahaha, because it would be very nice to meet first timer ukulele players , way more fun than talking with pros in my experience hahaha, whichever seems best !

I am surprised there isn't a synopsis of the classes.
    Edit.... There are descriptions. If you want to take the fingerpicking the blues course, which is inter/adv, then you better be comfortable with all kinds of chords. You won't get much out of that class if you are struggling with learning still.

Many of the courses lump more than one skill level together.

Why don't you audition for us?

I am stuck in the ether....They would have to create an course called "The Impatient Novice".
    Last edited by uke-garou; 06-03-2015 at 05:26 AM.
    KPK Mahogany Tenor

I went to uke camp in the Columbia River Gorge about a year ago, having been playing for about a year.

The teachers were;

Gerald Ross: Swing is the Thing and A Blue Lagoon and You.
    Aaron Keim: Vintage Jukebox
    Paul Hemmings: Ukulele Big Band and Bebop ‘n’ Blues
    Jere & Greg Canote, Old-Time Ukulele String Band
    Nichole Keim, Ukulele Jumpstart for Beginners.

Here was it said in the band camp's FAQ:

Q: What skill levels are required for each type of band?

"The Jump Start for Beginners is designed for complete beginners and those with very little ukulele experience. All you need is a desire to learn and have fun.

"For all of the other bands, anyone with 2-years of playing consistently should have no difficulty. All classes require that students be able to change between simple chords without hesitation. For example, C, F & G7, and G, C & D7 (I IV V) in a few keys. The faculty recognize that there will be a range of skills in class and usually provide different parts to accommodate the students."

I spoke about my experiences at some length elsewhere, but the gist if that is, I was fine for the ole-time music band taught by the Canote Brothers, no problems. The be-bop band, taught by Paul Hemmings? I struggled to keep up, and couldn't. Fortunately, he was a great teacher and knew some of us weren't ready, so we got to pick simple parts to go along with the players who knew what they were doing. We had guys who could transpose keys on the fly, and who had no trouble doing Thelonious Monk's "Straight, No Chaser."

Hemmings had taken classic bebop tunes and scored them for multiple ukuleles. In keys like Eb, and F, thank you very much. Ever see a B-flat-thirteenth sharped-ninth chord? Not really that hard to play, once somebody shows it to you, but C, F, and G7 ain't gonna do the trick when you get into serious jazz ...

Upshot of this is, choose your classes based on what you can do, or maybe almost do. A little stretch is fine, but dropping into a full split cold? Not so easy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steveperrywriter View Post
    Upshot of this is, choose your classes based on what you can do, or maybe almost do. A little stretch is fine, but dropping into a full split cold? Not so easy ...
    Couldn't agree more. While normally I'm a fan of jumping in the deep end and sinking or swimming, I've found it doesn't work so well with group uke classes. I think there are several reasons for this. For one, classes are already short and tend to move very, very quickly. And, many times the instructors are great musicians but not necessarily great educators. In my experience at three different camps, it is rare to find one who adequately manages the classroom (two notable exceptions here are Lil' Rev and the combo of Kimo Hussey/Zanuck Lindsay).

As Steve said, a little stretch is good. You're there to learn, after all. But don't bite off too much, as you'll likely find it frustrating for yourself and for others in the class if you impede its progress.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    I'm an Expert...at entertaining myself, that's what's most important!
    wonderful!

Thanks to all! You folks all have great insight into this especially Bill1. I'll take this Swathmore event as a Uke Festival, meet a bunch of folks, have some fun and sign up for some beginner----intermediate classes and see what happens. I did call Swathmore and ask if they had any guidelines for the various skill levels and they acted like I had three heads. I guess no one has ask that before forking up $350. I'll be happy with $350 worth of fun. I am currently taking James Hill's Ukulele Way course which I think is great,
    but I won't be auditioning for his advances class.......

Thanks All

I really don't know, since there seem to be various "ratings". I never really understood playing music having to be rated, categorized, and competitive. What I do know is that I am learning to play the music I want to play.

Tony
    Ukuleles: yes, three.

I rate myself as an enthusiast.
    Click a photo for information!

Thread Information