NUD : Pono AT

4stringsinner

Reaction score
Got the email saying it was shipped out on Friday and had to wait all weekend for it to be delivered to my shop. Luckily I had my Kala and Luna to play while I waited. The good people at HMS did an awesome job on picking this one out for me. I can find no fault, no issues, not a single thing I could say is not perfect about it. I had no special instructions other than packing it up nice. Which they did in spades. I did not contact them other than just ordering during their Memorial Day sale online. It was setup by Elijah and he did as good a job as I have ever seen. I am a very, very happy customer. I had to stop playing to eat dinner and gush about how good HMS did.

So much different than my Kala KA-TG. Not that I have any complaints about my Kala. I really love it for being a laminate body. But the Pono is just plain beautiful. I really like the grain pattern and am so glad I went for the AT instead of the MT. Its tone is brighter and a bit more alive compared to my Kala which is a hog laminate. Also the Pono has Ko'olau Golds and the Kala has Aquila Nylguts. It took me 2 years to eventually change the strings on my Luna so we will see how long the Pono and Kala go before I do a string change. Right now I'm very happy with the golds. Oh, and it is strung high G. The neck and frets are perfect. Barre chords are easier and I like the neck shape and feel. Intonation is perfect all down the neck. Like I said, Elijah O. set it up and it is a joy for my old crippled mechanic's hands to play.

I'll get some pictures up a bit later. Right now I got to go and play the little gem. Its not the Mya Moe, Kamaka, or the Moore Bettah uke I dream I can someday own. But till that day comes. I will be very happy with the Pono AT. And who knows? After it settles and opens up a bit I may stop dreaming of finding the "one". Might have already found it.

Just another bit of fanboy gushing over the folks at HMS. I've bought maybe 75 stringed instruments from various music instrument suppliers over the years both online and in store. And only my Kala KA-TG and the Pono At that both came from HMS have not had some kind of issue or need to be what in my mind is perfection. And I have owned a few "custom shop" guitars that were not as well setup. And were returned.

Last edited:
Happy to hear that you caught the sales and are happy with the new baby.
You must be the dream customer. I nagged Zach and Andrew everyday for a month before I placed my order then asked for only Joel to do the set up. I am sure they are glad to be rid of me second time in four months. I am happy with my Pono AT classic. It sounds better than my overpriced K brand.

Congrats! Hard to go wrong when you buy from HMS.

Don't wait two years to change strings. ;-) Strings are cheap and it's fun to explore different ones to see how they transform your uke.

Congrats. Pics will be mandatory once you come up for air!

I have a AC from HMS and really like it.

Enjoy

Congrats! Hard to go wrong when you buy from HMS.

Don't wait two years to change strings. ;-) Strings are cheap and it's fun to explore different ones to see how they transform your uke.

I wasn't very impressed with my Luna concert for those two years. Just didn't call to me to play it much I guess. Then I put on a set of Martin strings and now that little uke sounds sweeter and plays like a dream. I did have to do a little work on it when I got it but that was to lower the action.

I'm already thinking of trying out a low G string for my Kala since its a bit mellower in tone than the Pono. I like the Pono's tone a lot. It is everything I was hoping it would be and I'm sure I'll be going thru the perfect string search after the honeymoon phase has passed. Or the golds just fall apart.

Took a few pics of her.pono1.jpgpono2.jpgpono3.jpgpono4.jpgpono5.jpg

Use the Golds until you hate them.

Congrats on the new Pono. I agree with you about the guys at HMS. They offer fabulous customer service and quality set up.

I can't stand the golds. But the Alohi sound great. As well as the South Coast and the Oasis brands as well.

A Pono from HMS is pretty much a slam dunk. Congratulations on a great uke. You have obviously been around the block a time or two when it comes to buying instruments so you can really appreciate just how good HMS is.

I have a Pono pro classic that I absolutely love. I play it as much or more than a few customs I own which are a lot more expensive. When it does come time to change strings try Oasis warms, Worth CT or South Coast Heavy Mediums.

Congratulations on you new AT. I've had mine for two years. Great player. And..... From the nice people at HMS.

Suggest you try Salvarez, Worth Clears, Southcoast mediums.......they all sound great.

You tuners have black buttons....are the tuners Grover?

Congratulations on you new AT. I've had mine for two years. Great player. And..... From the nice people at HMS.

Suggest you try Salvarez, Worth Clears, Southcoast mediums.......they all sound great.

You tuners have black buttons....are the tuners Grover?

Good eye! I had HMS install chrome strap buttons because the pictures of the AT on their site showed chrome tuners. These are indeed Grover tuners with black buttons. Took about an hour before I even realized the difference because I just could not stop playing. I like them being black instead of chrome.

Congrats on your Pono AT: may you be as happy with your new purchase as I am with the Pono AC, which I bought just under a year ago. Mine came with mahana strings, which I didn't like at all. I am actually the only person I know who loves Ko'olau Golds: they're great! :deadhorse: so maybe give yours a chance; my AC is a lot sweeter with them on. Enjoy!

Thanks for the review & pics and congratulations on the new Pono! My Pono ATSH shipped from HMS late today (Thursday) with scheduled arrival for Monday... I'm an excited old man these days. I'm happy for this Forum so I could get all the info straight and discover a company like HMS. Congratulations again.

Top Bottom