Suggestions for a pick

niwenomian

Reaction score
I am hoping to tap the collective wisdom of UU to help me with a new challenge to my uke playing.

A few months ago, I sustained a minor injury to my fingernail. The injury was minor, but the pain and damage was major. Of course it's my right index finger. This week, the nail finally gave up the ghost and what I'm left with is a mess. It hurts to strum with and sounds terrible picking.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fingerpick that would allow me to pick and strum with my index finger until the nail grows back? I used to have metal fingerpicks in my guitar days, and they would work for the picking portion, but there wasn't anything on the top that would help cover the nail in order to strum.

I may order several, and try them out in order to find works well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

epoxy on the fingernail

I tore the fingernail on my index finger last winter and it was in-op for just a couple of weeks. I got pretty darn good with my middle finger, and just moving everything over. After a few weeks I switched back, without much problem. I'll admit, that for finger picking, it was a long time until I got that nice clear twang back, but I did eventually. Adapt and overcome. I actually got adept enough switching around, that I still do it on occasion just to mix it up. It is kind of fun.

Last edited:
I tore the fingernail on my index finger last winter and it was in-op for just a couple of weeks. I got pretty darn good with my middle finger, and just moving everything over. After a few weeks I switched back, without much problem. I'll admit, that for finger picking, it was a long time until I got that nice clear twang back, but I did eventually. Adapt and overcome. I actually got adept enough switching around, that I still do it on occasion just to mix it up. It is kind of fun.

This is what I've been doing, and it works. I admit, I kind of like the idea of having this constraint and seeing how I can adapt my playing around it. It's interesting, but it is, and I imagine would continue to be a lesser option for me than finding a pick that would allow me to use my index finger.

This is what I've been doing, and it works. I admit, I kind of like the idea of having this constraint and seeing how I can adapt my playing around it. It's interesting, but it is, and I imagine would continue to be a lesser option for me than finding a pick that would allow me to use my index finger.
I just threw that out there. There is any number of options, and none are necessarily better than the others.

A Fred Kelly Freedom Pick should work just fine. It covers your fingertip like a fingernail. It allows for a downward brush stroke as well as upward single string picking. It's the next best thing to a fingernail. You can buy them on ebay.

I use the Alaska picks and they work for me great. You can get them at Elderly.

Not sure the Alaska picks would work unless you enough nail left to slide over the pick. There needs to be enough nail left to be able to get a grip on the pick. The Fred Kelly Freedom Picks seem like they have a better chance of working if you have no nail left.

I thought alaska picks were made to tuck under the nail?
If there's no nail does it still work?

The Fred Kelly picks wrap around the whole finger and would work but they're pressure fit... and kind of alot of pressure. It may hurt if your nail isn't there. You can of course heat them to open it and release the tension... but then they might not stay on. I suppose.. you could use a kelly, loosen it and then use some tape to hold it on.

I think.. because you have no nail.. and it's hurty.. a butterfly pick might be best. You can make your own or buy them on ebay. I'd probably just try making one..

The guy is wrong about hardening. The way to harden copper wire is, to get it red hot and then throw it in cold water.

Last edited:
I also like the Fred Kelly freedom pick. Comfortable, secure, not crazy about the sound but good for when I need more volume or when my natural nail gets very worn down. Mus.Friend carries them 3/$13, free ship. Order larger than you think, they run small and are not so easy to adjust with hot water, better to get the right size. Easy to file tho, for length or tip contour.

Rather than a fingerpick, maybe the O.P. could try an "ordinary" plectrum. I use a Jim Dunlop 0.46mm nylon for melody work and a Jumping Cow artificial felt for strumming (as well as my fingers). Both types of plectrum have a different "identity" and may be easier to use than a fingerpick :)

Interesting thread. I have been considering picks to use for that cool steel string Braguinha at Uke Republic, so this is good info.

The Fred Kelly site shows a Variety bag which is a multi-pack of different picks for a reasonable price.

I fingerpick with the fleshy part of my finger & thumb. Works well for me. If your index finger is too painful then maybe the middle finger instead. I just use thumb and one finger rather than thumb and two fingers.

I thought alaska picks were made to tuck under the nail?
If there's no nail does it still work?

This is my favourite type of pick for saving the nail on my index finger. It has a bit more "give" than other types or finger picks.
And yes it does work without tucking it under the nail. That's how I use it. It just has to be the right size.

I've ordered both the Alaska and Fred Kelly picks as recommended. I appreciate all the suggestions, glad to have this community to bounce stuff like this off of.

I can still fingerpick just fine, although without the nail it sounds different. I miss the crisp attack, although I break fingernails so often that I'm kind of used to it when I have to pick with the fleshy fingertip only. The strum with the back of the finger is the thing that has been most negatively impacted. As spookele correctly described it, it's "hurty". I can get away with strumming primarily with the middle finger, but it's not nearly as agile. And then, where does the hurty digit go to get out of the way?

I also have considered using an ordinary plectrum in the interim until the Alaska and Freedom picks arrive. I probably have some fender med's lingering from my guitar days.

I saw a mention somewhere of strumming down with thumb and up with the finger - the reverse of the usual so that both strums are on the fleshy part of the digit. Might be worth a try as an alternative to a plectrum. I could never get on with a plectrum. I tend to hold it too loose and it falls out of my hand in time.

I've been thinking of trying the thumb down finger up myself as an alternative to my usual fingernail down thumbnail up to get a softer strum when I need one.

Top Bottom