Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Technique and Theory Lessons

Default Free Technique and Theory Lessons

Hey guys,

I have launched a new series on my site: Rock Class 101, called Technique & Theory 101.

So far we have lessons on:

Technique 101

Getting Started: Take your first 25 minute lesson on guitar
    How to fingerpick on the ukulele
    How to add a backbeat (slap) to your rhythm playing
    How to do hammer-ons & pull-offs
    How to do right hand tapping
    How to Travis pick

Theory 101

How to play a C major scale on the ukulele
    How to write arrangements and songs on the ukulele
    Gain a complete understanding of music theory and how it is applied to guitar
    How to read tabs, chord graphs, and chart symbols (Coming Soon!)
    How to practice the correct way to get results

I'll update this thread as I continue to add new lessons! You will need to sign up for Basic Membership (free) to gain access to the tabs that accompany the lessons.

Hope you enjoy the lessons and let me know if you have an idea for a lesson I can add!

Cheers,

Andrew
    http://RockClass101.com
    Last edited by AndrewHardel; 09-10-2015 at 05:10 PM.

New lesson is up: How to Read Tabs, Chord Graphs, and Chart Symbols

Lots of great info in this one!

New lesson is Up: How to Play with Feeling

Contains an example tune, so you can apply the concepts!

Are you catering for low-g players - or just for "standard" tuning.

cheers, Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Are you catering for low-g players - or just for "standard" tuning.

cheers, Shawn
    Hey Shawn,

The majority of the arrangements on the site are for high G tuning. A few have altered tunings, such as: The Irish Washerwoman. This doesn't mean that a low G wouldn't work though. It should sound fine in most cases.

New lesson up! Understanding and applying the CAGED Method on ukulele

Break out of the 'basic chord' rut!

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Plus one on the CAGED Method, I use it all the time. I think it's better known in Guitar circles than it is among Uke players. But, it works just as well for both. Interestingly, I was taking part in a UU+ session on movable chords and keys and sent Aldrine a question about the CAGED Method. He responded that he'd never heard of it. So, I emailed him some info on it. I only bring this up to illustrate how relatively unknown it is. Thanks for putting it front of us on your website, and I'm sure it's going to help a lot of players out there.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Plus one on the CAGED Method, I use it all the time. I think it's better known in Guitar circles than it is among Uke players. But, it works just as well for both. Interestingly, I was taking part in a UU+ session on movable chords and keys and sent Aldrine a question about the CAGED Method. He responded that he'd never heard of it. So, I emailed him some info on it. I only bring this up to illustrate how relatively unknown it is. Thanks for putting it front of us on your website, and I'm sure it's going to help a lot of players out there.
    My pleasure! It's important to realize that the ukulele has the same 4 strings as the guitar (strings 1-4), but up a fourth. In other words, if you put a capo on the fifth fret of a guitar, you have a uke. The only other difference is that the fourth string is an octave higher on a uke. So, we can borrow a lot of useful guitar tricks and apply them to the uke, as in CAGED. The theory and application are the same.

New lesson up: Understanding the 12 Bar Blues Form. This lesson takes an in-depth look at harmonizing the major scale chords, altering them to dominate, and applying the results to get our standard 12 Bar Blues.

New lesson up! Right Hand Fingerpicking Technique

In this lesson, we will be learning two approaches for right hand fingerpicking. The first approach utilizes a four finger picking technique, while the second approach simplifies it to three fingers.

Thread Information