Free Technique and Theory Lessons

3 Levels of Fingerstyle Complexity - In this session, you’ll learn how to transform a simple chord melody into intricate fingerstyle playing. To demonstrate this, we’ll show you 3 levels of complexity playing “Kids” by indie rock band MGMT!

Last edited:
What Ukulele Can Do That Guitar Can’t - Some critics condemn the ukulele as an underdog instrument. But in recent years, it’s made a blazing comeback to reach new heights of popularity. In this session, you’ll find out what gives the mighty four-stringer an edge over its six-string cousin.

3 Things I Never Thought I’d Be Able To Do On Ukulele - Most of the time, playing and practicing ukulele is fun, challenging, and exciting! But sometimes, it can feel discouraging. Especially if we start comparing where we’re at versus others.

In this session, Matt shares how he overcame his self-doubt to achieve 3 BIG GOALS in his ukulele playing! And why you should strive to be better than you were yesterday, instead of being in competition with others.

New Lesson! Learn 3 steps needed to help conquer your stage fright and become an incredible performing musician! Overcoming Stage Fright
I've got to work on this Andrew. In August 2022 my group with the U3A, began learning The Rainbow Connection. We only strum. I found Matt's lesson of this lovely song on youtube. ( I have been working on some chord solos from RC10.) Downloaded Matt's Tabs for the lesson and began learning this to suprise my group. I should have got your practice tips first. I tried to learn it all through. It took me weeks but I eventually got it. I was anxious, and it when well until about 2/3s through and I lost it. My mind went blank but I carried on and ended by telling the group that, it was perfect at home!
My group were however impressed and I may have convinced them to try chord solos too.
Thanks Andrew. Great tips and teaching, for one so young.

Classical Technique & Style - In this course, you’ll learn to play classical music in a way that faithfully recreates the original works. Classical pieces are often arranged and taught using a ukulele style of playing. While there’s nothing wrong with this approach, it lacks the authenticity that comes from performing with classical guitar techniques.

This course teaches the fundamentals every classical guitarist uses. You’ll start by learning proper right-hand form before embarking on picking techniques.

Next, we’ll move beyond playing techniques by studying stylistic approaches. Part of what makes classical music so appealing is the way it’s performed. It’s a highly expressive style of music and we’ll show you three ways to amplify emotion in your performances.

At the end of this course, you’ll combine everything you’ve learned to perform a challenging piece by Francisco Tárrega (a.k.a. “the father of classical guitar”).

Ear Training For Ukulele - In this session, you’ll learn why developing your ear is one of the best things you can do to further your musicianship. We’ll also cover the differences between relative and perfect pitch and share one surprising fact why the former may be better than the latter.

Top Bottom