Review: Delightful Leho thin-bodied soprano

GinnyT11

Reaction score
When I was recently in Germany, I went to a music store that carried ukuleles. There I found a Leho thin-bodied soprano. It seemed tiny because it was featherweight and only about an inch and a half at its thickest point, but it boomed out because of its arched back. It projected a full, rich and loud sound well beyond any thin-bodied uke I’d tried previously.

It was gorgeous, with a cedar top, spalted-maple back and sides, and nitro-finish gloss. It had nice details like b/w/b purfling and deep binding. Leho means seashell in Hawaiian, thus the shell on the rosette, heel and 10th fret marker. After confirming it had low action, good intonation, and really smooth fret ends, I bought it to be my travel uke. It came home in my suitcase, wrapped in t-shirts.

I’ve owned and sold a number of sopranos under $250, but I’ve never had one with such a feeling of quality as this Chinese-made Leho. It looks and sounds wonderful—it's an absolute charmer.
Here’s Kimo Hussey playing a Leho tenor and talking about the brand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYj0auNADCs

Specs
soundboard: solid cedar
back/sides: laminated spalted maple
neck: nato
fretboard: rosewood
nut: 1-3/8” Nubone
weight: just under 11 oz.

back-to-front depth:
at upper bout: 1-3/16"
at lower bout: 1-3/8”
at bottom join: 1-9/16"

here’s a sound sample with Southcoast soft light medium strings
https://app.box.com/s/aw9ywxy9wv8ioc6mklwpjpyh2a7gq5z4

front, full.jpgfront, close.jpgback, close.jpgside.jpgheadstock.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Ginny. That ukulele is just gorgeous in every way. I'm always wary of those thin bodied ukes but after reading your lovely review and seeing this beautiful instrument it sure is tempting. Look forward to you doing a little video for us sometime soon. Yes?

Thanks for the review Ginny. That Leho is gorgeous and looks well made. Lots of nice detail work on it.
Seems like a great travel uke.

The sound file link didn't work for me.

Very, very beautiful uke. I can't tell, do you like it? ;-)

As Hodge indicated, sound sample not working. Would love to hear it.

Top Bottom