Need to find a good baritone

Reyalpabut

Reaction score
I just found out that I'll be teaching music classes in September and I need a good baritone ukelele to accompany myself and the kids for singing. I've used my Hilo baritones in the past but, since this will be a full year, I want something better:

• Good intonation
  • Good volume
  • Good tone
  • $200-400 range, but could go a bit higher
  • Good action & fretwork

I've been a working bass player for over 25 years and I absolutely can't stand an instrument that plays out of tune, so I'm wondering if the TunaUke would be worth looking into. The Pono ukuleles on theukulelesite seem to be a good value for the money, and I like the fact that they have truss rods. Nearly all my bass guitars need seasonal adjustments, but maybe it's not an issue with ukuleles (?)

I guess you can tell I'm really not sure what to get, which is why I'm asking for advice here. The Hilos are fun to noodle around on, but I want to find a quality musical instrument that will play in tune and not fall apart on me.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I live in New England, so it will be exposed to a dry winter climate, as well as traveling to and from school with me. My upright bass has never had a problem, but it's plywood and I think a solid ukulele would be more likely to give me the tone and volume I'm looking for.

Thanks for reading this; Any responses will be read thoroughly and sincerely appreciated!

Rey

You're right about those Pono Baritones. An AB, MB or MGB will give you the best value in that price range (or pretty much any price range, actually).

Last edited:
You're right about those Pono Baritones. An AT, MT or MGT will give you the best value in that price range (or pretty much any price range, actually).

Hi. Just in case, I thought I'd mention Pono's Baritones are identified as AB, MB, or MGB. I own an MB and agree it's a great value.

Top Bottom